The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-10, 06:25 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Re: TTD Staff: Why don't you follow your own rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
Describe how you would enforce the policy, please.
Im a filmer and a friend of many filmer's as well as tapers. If someone contacts the site and says I want this torrent taken down and they have a good reason why and they can provide proof to me that they are the taper, id consider it done but id convince them to upload their own masters on the site. I could also convince fellow filmers/tapers to upload here.

If it ever gets to the point once a torrent is taken down that its reuploaded multiple times, id take it down each time. I dont consider that a problem. Again if someone wants something taken down and they have a good reason why they want it taken down, id do it.

Again, thats where im coming from as a filmer myself.
Old 2010-08-10, 06:26 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I think it is important to make note, here, that we do not disrespect tapers' wishes at TTD.

We cannot control what the general public does. We do not have the time to keep a running list of what shows are not to be torrented because the taper has changed his mind or gave a copy out to someone he shouldn't have trusted.

There are 136,000+ files being swapped right now on the tracker bwetween 10,000+ peers. We cannot keep track of which ones come with stipulations.
Old 2010-08-10, 06:27 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue View Post
Quote:
Describe how you would enforce the policy, please.
Im a filmer and a friend of many filmer's as well as tapers. If someone contacts the site and says I want this torrent taken down and they have a good reason why and they can provide proof to me that they are the taper, id consider it done but id convince them to upload their own masters on the site.

We will ALWAYS remove an inferrior source if a lower gen is provided - as soon as the replacement goes up. Been done hundreds of times.
Old 2010-08-10, 06:52 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
We will ALWAYS remove an inferrior source if a lower gen is provided - as soon as the replacement goes up. Been done hundreds of times.
Unless it's a "silver boot"

then you consider it "source zero"

You tell 'em spanky, don't let no one bullshit you..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2010-08-10, 06:55 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer View Post
Quote:
Unless it's a "silver boot"

then you consider it "source zero"

You tell 'em spanky, don't let no one bullshit you..........

yep.

dems da rules.

however, the silver and lowgen may coexist, so everyone wins. We will pull neither, though... which is the topic, here.
Old 2010-08-10, 07:24 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Is this situation not analogous to that of the RIAA attempting to pull officially released music off of sites like Demonoid and Mininova? If they're even successful at pulling the material, it's almost always either available already in countless reincarnations at other sites or will be at some point. The point being once it's out there, it's out there.
Old 2010-08-10, 07:38 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
yep.

dems da rules.

however, the silver and lowgen may coexist, so everyone wins. We will pull neither, though... which is the topic, here.
You changed the rules again, Flotsam........

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2010-08-10, 08:35 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

the fact that you have only now begun to grok does not constitute any flim-flam on my part
Old 2010-08-10, 08:38 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayDriver View Post
Is this situation not analogous to that of the RIAA attempting to pull officially released music off of sites like Demonoid and Mininova? If they're even successful at pulling the material, it's almost always either available already in countless reincarnations at other sites or will be at some point. The point being once it's out there, it's out there.

with one exception - those artists actually own that work.

In this case, the taper is simply a fan and, while very much appreciated, his recording isn't subject to his whims once he gives it out.

but yes, it is the same result. If lawsuits and bully tactics can't stop it in the RIAA's case, why would anyone think some torrent mods could stop it? Besides, as has been noted, it was tried and proved impossible. And people don't like it. If we ban it, it'll just go up 30 secs later in 5 other places.. then it will show up here again when we aren't looking.

Freedom, man. Hard to control it.
Old 2010-08-10, 08:47 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

For future reference, if you want to trade something "exclusively," to maintain value as an uncirculated show, there is a way to do it. Requesting that it not be traded or torrented doesn't work...obviously.

Set up multiple trades for whatever you want with however many people you want. Do all the trades at the same time. Get your 5, 10, whatever shows for your one show at once. And after that, you can't control it.

Some "inner circles" can limit circulation for quite a while, but most stuff sneaks out eventually, even if it's a number of gens down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2010-08-10, 08:51 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

you can also add a well-placed 'mark' to the recording, such as a whistle, to keep track of who leaks it

or so I've heard
Old 2010-08-10, 09:11 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Quote:
with one exception - those artists actually own that work.

In this case, the taper is simply a fan and, while very much appreciated, his recording isn't subject to his whims once he gives it out.

but yes, it is the same result. If lawsuits and bully tactics can't stop it in the RIAA's case, why would anyone think some torrent mods could stop it? Besides, as has been noted, it was tried and proved impossible. And people don't like it. If we ban it, it'll just go up 30 secs later in 5 other places.. then it will show up here again when we aren't looking.

Freedom, man. Hard to control it.
Thats just your way of giving up and copping out of your duties as a Mod.
"If we take it down its gonna go up elsewhere".
Thats not an excuse for doing nothing and pissing off someone who can torrent several of his masters, which you may not care about but im sure theres plenty of people who would like that alot.
Im gonna say this again, its irrelevant who gets a hold of a tapers recording.
The whole notion, that once he gives out its no longer his, is absurd.

I gotta say this, dont bite the hand that feeds you. Tapers are what provide not just TTD but the entire trading and downloading community the material that we have. Be on the side of them. I dont care whether you are a Mod or a downloader, have some respect for those who bust their asses and deserve more respect than they are getting
especially from the people who have posted in this thread.
Old 2010-08-10, 09:34 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

You record a show.

If the band allows it, then they also usually expect free distribution. It's a way to give something extra to their fans.

If they don't allow it, then the "rights" & rules of the label, management, venue & band have likely been "violated." Yet you expect the taper to have some rights to control a recording he let out, in perpetuity?

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Old 2010-08-10, 09:48 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
You record a show.

If the band allows it, then they also usually expect free distribution. It's a way to give something extra to their fans.

If they don't allow it, then the "rights" & rules of the label, management, venue & band have likely been "violated." Yet you expect the taper to have some rights to control a recording he let out, in perpetuity?
Irrelevant. You definitely shouldnt be Moderating a bootleg torrent site or calling yourself a taper, thats for sure.
Old 2010-08-10, 10:02 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

I hold no delusions of grandeur just because I own a recorder & know how to use it.

This discussion is moot anyway. The policy is posted. If it's to be changed, it will be Lynne's decision to change it. Prior to a change such as that, she'll likely discuss it with the mods. And since roughly 0% of the mods (who include a number of tapers) are against the policy, it's not likely to change.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions