The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-10-10, 04:52 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

BootTunes: Useful program for iTunes users

Hi everyone. I'm just posting to spread the word about an application I've written to solve the problem of getting shows into iTunes and hence onto your iPod/Phone/Pad. It's free and open source, works on Windows and Mac, and you get check it out at http://code.google.com/p/boottunes.

Bug reports and feature requests are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-10-10, 06:48 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Re: BootTunes: Useful program for iTunes users

I tried it...got to 4% & it shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-10-10, 06:57 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Ah, a promising bit of first feedback, mdshrk1. Could you try it with a different show? What show did you try it with (hopefully something currently being seeded so I can try it out myself)? Lastly, what OS are you on? Thanks.
Old 2010-10-11, 05:18 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

I tried it with two different shows. I have Windows 7. I tried it with Itunes open & Itunes closed. Same result.

Quote:
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-10-11, 08:59 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

What do you mean when you say "shut down" exactly? Unless the program really crashed hard, there is likely a log file with some useful information in it. Could you check the folder where the program is installed for a file called boottunes.exe.txt? If it's there could you copy and paste its contents here?

Anyone else have success or failure to report?
Old 2010-10-11, 09:03 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Nope...when it didn't work, I uninstalled it. When I say shut down, I mean the icon disappeared as if it were never there.? It seems to me that that would equal "crashed hard."

I would love a program like this. Keep it up.

m

Quote:
Old 2010-10-16, 01:26 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

I've released a new version that fixes this crash and various other bugs. Here's the download page.
Old 2010-10-16, 03:49 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

I can find no details about which Operating Systems it will work with, nor any details on system requirements; RAM, processor, etc.

I have XP and Vista machines
Old 2010-10-16, 04:15 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
I can find no details about which Operating Systems it will work with, nor any details on system requirements; RAM, processor, etc.

I have XP and Vista machines
It works on my XP machine. I haven't heard from anyone trying it on Vista, but it should work there as well. Decoding and encoding are processor intensive, so the CPU will strongly affect how long the conversion to lossless m4a will take, but there is no real requirement to run the program. It's compiled for 32-bit systems, but should work on a 64-bit OS just fine (i've tested it with Windows 7 64-bit). As for RAM, I'm looking at the activity monitor right now as BootTunes is converting a show, and it's using less than 70 MB.
Old 2010-11-19, 09:43 AM
256.00 KB/96.00 KB/0.38

Hey there,
not really sure how this works. But I'm trying to get flac into itunes, or flac to convert to apple lossless. Anyway, just saying that I'm here to test if you need me. I'm running Windows 7 with fully updated drivers/apps etc.
Old 2010-11-19, 10:34 AM
256.00 KB/96.00 KB/0.38

Okay here's what I done.
I tried opening the folder with the .flac content and it said there was no txt file.
So I opened a new .txt file and wrote the following:
01 Track 1
02 Track 2
03 Track 3
04.. and so on.
That then overrides the error message I was getting and I was able to input the information I wanted. In your youtube video you said the process is rather slow. Well for me it's quite rapid, probably twice as long as it takes to rip from a CD in the first place.
I'm not sure why it's put it in a .m4a container? But this is probably due to my lack of knowledge :P
My final request would be to ask if you can provide an example of what the text file contains so that I don't have to manually write it in BootTunes. Or maybe, instead of getting the error message saying there's no .txt file, there could be the option of writing one instead using a form style unit frame?
Hope this helps.
Old 2011-01-09, 09:35 PM
343.81 GB/348.43 GB/1.01

Fantastic app ZPC! Just got done doing a batch of twenty FLAC's. You rock my man. I'm on a MacMini 2.0Ghz C2D OSX 10.6.5. I have searched for 3 years to find a app like this. Slow, yes, but I believe that is due to the Python tools doing the encoding? Do you have an email or website? I'd like to share the text files that were correctly identified if it would help.
Old 2011-01-09, 09:54 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Thanks. The decoder/encoder code in Python Audio Tools is actually written in C, but yes it does seem like it could be faster. The best place to post those text files would be the issues section of the Google Code page, but if you don't have a Google account and don't feel like making one you can email me at boottunes at zacharychavez dot com.
Old 2011-08-06, 12:18 AM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Just thought I'd bump my own post to say that development on BootTunes has progressed and that anyone who tried it before and found it too buggy should give it another go.
Old 2011-08-06, 06:16 AM
old washed up musician
118.93 GB/508.26 GB/4.27

Ok, thanks...

Just tried it out. Win 7 i5 750 64bit 8GB RAM. 1st show took about 8-10 minutes or so, converted fine. Picked up the images from the folder, added them & m4p.

2nd, I thought I'd try something I have some shows that are 1 long file w/ a cue file. The cue file wasn't recognized. On 1, the images are in png format. While it recognizes the png files as images, when I select the png image to use it says: "no file to add"...

So, it doesn't even recognize that the flac file is there, nor the png file...

Maybe something to consider...

The m4p file is larger than the flac file. Have you thought of just doing a codec?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble