The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-05-19, 06:01 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
Is the user manual for TLH still available? When I try to access it it says its only available in the older versions.
It's not available anymore because lots of things were changed/added since v1.1.1.90. A new user manual needs to be written ... (any volunteers out there? chm format, or perhaps a wiki?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
I'm very much interested in learning all the in's and out's of the program as I am currently quite ignorant on the subject.
Well, you can try the old user manual if you want to (but be warned). PM or email me if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-05-22, 06:05 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

New release available (v2.7.0 build 172)

After some trouble getting it together the new release of TLH is now available: download it here or let TLH do the job (Help > Check for update...).

v2.7.0.172 fixes a few things, adds two options to the Preferences dialog, and enables TLH to process multiple folders passed via Windows Explorer context menus or Drag & Drop (details see changelog.txt). It's weird, very early versions of TLH were able to process multiple folders, but somewhere along the way from v1.0.0 build 72 to v1.1.1 build 90 this ability got lost. I still don't know why I removed this - even the well documented source code didn't help to find the reason. Anyway, here it is in all its glory. Enjoy!

Robert

PS: Note that this time you need to uninstall an existing version before the new installer can be executed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 2011-06-15, 01:40 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

I am having trouble accessing preferences and setting TLH defaults on my new computer (Windows 7 64 bit).
I am receiving the error message:
"User does not have administrative privileges.
The default setting can not be changed."

I have attempted to change permissions without success.
c:\program files\TLH -> properties -> security

As I am the only one on my computer, only 1 user was created and he has administrative permissions. However the security instructions are most confusing. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Old 2011-06-15, 03:41 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by germain View Post
I am having trouble accessing preferences and setting TLH defaults on my new computer (Windows 7 64 bit).
I am receiving the error message:
"User does not have administrative privileges.
The default setting can not be changed."

I have attempted to change permissions without success.
c:\program files\TLH -> properties -> security

As I am the only one on my computer, only 1 user was created and he has administrative permissions. However the security instructions are most confusing. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Even if you are logged in as an administrator - Win 7 doesn't allow you to do everything you want (writing to certain parts of the registry, for example). But there is a solution: right-click on the TLH desktop icon and select "Run as administrator". That's all. Note that this is only needed if you want to change the default settings or want to restore the integration of TLH into Windows Explorer context menus.
Old 2011-06-15, 04:43 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Worked like a charm!
Thanks
Old 2011-07-28, 06:31 PM
1.32 TB/7.77 TB/5.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
Even if you are logged in as an administrator - Win 7 doesn't allow you to do everything you want (writing to certain parts of the registry, for example). But there is a solution: right-click on the TLH desktop icon and select "Run as administrator". That's all. Note that this is only needed if you want to change the default settings or want to restore the integration of TLH into Windows Explorer context menus.

Thanks for this response - I too had that problem, now resolved.
Old 2011-07-29, 05:12 AM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by woff View Post
Thanks for this response - I too had that problem, now resolved.
Same here...grateful for the response.
Old 2011-08-16, 01:57 PM
TTD VIP
915.04 GB/18.75 TB/20.99

Re: New release available (v2.7.0 build 172)

Quote:
After some trouble getting it together the new release of TLH is now available: download it here or let TLH do the job (Help > Check for update...).

v2.7.0.172 fixes a few things, adds two options to the Preferences dialog, and enables TLH to process multiple folders passed via Windows Explorer context menus or Drag & Drop (details see changelog.txt). It's weird, very early versions of TLH were able to process multiple folders, but somewhere along the way from v1.0.0 build 72 to v1.1.1 build 90 this ability got lost. I still don't know why I removed this - even the well documented source code didn't help to find the reason. Anyway, here it is in all its glory. Enjoy!

Robert

PS: Note that this time you need to uninstall an existing version before the new installer can be executed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

thanks a ton for this!

any chance you can implement verifying checksums (md5s/ffps/sts) in subfolders via windows explorer by right clicking on the main folder?

someshow.flac16
-disc 1
-d1.ffp
-disc 2
-d2.ffp

right now if I right click on someshow.flac16 and select TLH, then the option box opens up and I select verify checksum files, another box pops up and says- The folder is empty or does not contain files with the file extension(s) required

I see that there is a subfolder setting for creating checksums but not to verify them

maybe I'm doing something wrong

thanks!
Old 2011-08-17, 03:27 PM
973.67 GB/2.99 TB/3.15

Thanks for the updated version.
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F
Old 2011-08-17, 09:15 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbo View Post
thanks a ton for this!

any chance you can implement verifying checksums (md5s/ffps/sts) in subfolders via windows explorer by right clicking on the main folder?

someshow.flac16
-disc 1
-d1.ffp
-disc 2
-d2.ffp

right now if I right click on someshow.flac16 and select TLH, then the option box opens up and I select verify checksum files, another box pops up and says- The folder is empty or does not contain files with the file extension(s) required

I see that there is a subfolder setting for creating checksums but not to verify them

thanks!
There is no subfolder setting for verifying checksum files via Windows Explorer. Added to the to-do list...
Old 2011-08-17, 10:01 PM
TTD VIP
915.04 GB/18.75 TB/20.99

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbo View Post
thanks a ton for this!

someshow.flac16
-disc 1
-d1.ffp
-disc 2
-d2.ffp

thanks!
There is no subfolder setting for verifying checksum files via Windows Explorer. Added to the to-do list...
very cool, thanks!
Old 2011-08-19, 03:53 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Angry Re: Trader's Little Helper

Regarding "needs administrator permission to change preferences":

Wait a second - are you guys joking???

This is a security nightmare! NO piece of software needs admin rights today to set user preferences. There are only two reasons why current software would ask you to run it with such elevated rights:

- The programmer does not know a thing about programming on Windows
- The programmer wants to trick you into letting you into YOUR machine as admin - and it is unlikely that their intentions are pure.

BEWARE OF THIS SOFTWARE, it may be dangerous. (or, option 1, the programmer is incompetent to a high degree)
Old 2011-08-20, 04:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseshine View Post
Regarding "needs administrator permission to change preferences":

Wait a second - are you guys joking???

This is a security nightmare! NO piece of software needs admin rights today to set user preferences. There are only two reasons why current software would ask you to run it with such elevated rights:

- The programmer does not know a thing about programming on Windows
- The programmer wants to trick you into letting you into YOUR machine as admin - and it is unlikely that their intentions are pure.

BEWARE OF THIS SOFTWARE, it may be dangerous. (or, option 1, the programmer is incompetent to a high degree)
Finally someone who knows which way the wind blows...
Old 2011-08-23, 12:32 AM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.39

Quote:
Finally someone who knows which way the wind blows...
Hahahaha.

Noseshine, seriously? You must be joking, right?

This is an amazingly useful piece of software! I really don't know what I'd do without it. Obviously you're not a taper or much of a trader. I use this piece of software pretty much every day. The developer has provided it free of charge and unlike most "free" software, not only does he not ask for anything in return but is EXTREMELY amenable to changes, suggestions and quickly implements them. Development hasn't stopped after a few months either. This is an obvious labour of love and roann is a trusted member of this community. Maybe you ought to hang back a bit or at least do some research before insulting TLH with your first post.

Sheesh, some people.
Old 2011-08-23, 04:56 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth01 View Post
Hahahaha.

Noseshine, seriously? You must be joking, right?

This is an amazingly useful piece of software! I really don't know what I'd do without it. Obviously you're not a taper or much of a trader. I use this piece of software pretty much every day. The developer has provided it free of charge and unlike most "free" software, not only does he not ask for anything in return but is EXTREMELY amenable to changes, suggestions and quickly implements them. Development hasn't stopped after a few months either. This is an obvious labour of love and roann is a trusted member of this community. Maybe you ought to hang back a bit or at least do some research before insulting TLH with your first post.

Sheesh, some people.

I'll second this statement. For those serious about their audio TLH is indispensable (not casting aspertions on other software) and most, I would say, would rally behind Roann and his little beauty.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper