The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-10-16, 02:31 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

MINI DV TO DVD RECORDER TRANSFER

For my own viewing at the moment ive transferred a show i recently filmed from my mini dv cam to my dvd recorder.On the off chance,is this going to be acceptable to make a dvd and share it,so that it can be seeded here and dime etc.Ive had issues with dropped frames wehen using a pc,and ideally would like to use the pc for a "proper" transfer,but would the way ive done it be acceptable to seed it?.All i do is plug my cam into the dvd recorder and set time/quality on the machine and capture.Im not sure what format it captures in but obviously i have a video/audio ts folder when i finalize the disc.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-10-16, 06:14 AM
co9ol
303.62 GB/388.57 GB/1.28

Re: MINI DV TO DVD RECORDER TRANSFER

I think so, but you might wanna check with a mod.
Anyways, one thing I'd like to mention; in the past I recorded a show via mini DV and got a lot of dropped frames just like you. But then I put the same tapes in a different camera I had not a single dropped frame, so if you have a friend or just a different camera, try that and see how it goes.
Old 2011-10-16, 07:40 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Although the miniDV camcorder --> standalone DVD recorder route is not ideal, it is an accepted method of transfer for most torrent sites (including Dime and TTD).

Re: the dropped frames issue when transferring from camcorder --> PC. Here are some questions for you.

1. What sort of PC are you running?
2. How large is your hard drive?
3. How much free space is left on your hard drive?
4. Do you have a separate 'capture' drive?
5. When was the last time you defragged your hard drive?
6. Do you use your computer for any other purposes during the capture process?
7. Do you stop any background processes (eg. virus scanner, uTorrent, MSN etc.) before you start your capture?
8. What program are you using to capture your video?
9. What are the specs of your computer?
10. Are you using a Firewire cable?
Old 2011-10-16, 10:07 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Acceptable? Well yes if there is no other possibility. Is it ideal? No! Like you said in your own comment the best way to go is to transfer the mini-dv to your PC via firewire. Nearly all DV camcorders have IEEE 1394 (FireWire, i.LINK) ports for digital video transfer. When video is captured onto a computer it is stored in a container file, which can be either raw DV stream, AVI, WMV or Quicktime (depending on the software used). Whichever container, the video itself is not re-encoded and represents a complete digital copy of what has been recorded onto tape. [There are some camcorders that feature a USB 2.0 port for computer connection. This port is usually used for transferring still images, but not for video transfer. Camcorders that offer video transfer over USB usually do not deliver full DV quality.]

So all the steps would be:

1. Capture: getting the DV information from the tape to a file on the computer (firewire, btw make sure the DV camera is set to VCR mode. When possible choose DV Type 2 because this appears to be more commonly/readily accepted by encoding tools. The different types (1 & 2) have nothing to do with the video, just the way the audio is stored).

2. Editing the DV file: lots of software possibilities ranging from free to expensive (VirtualDub, Avisynth, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, Sony vegas Movie Studio, TMPGEnc etc).

3. Converting the edited file from DV format to MPEG-2: this requires an encoder (most editors include one, some are better than others. TMPGEnc Plus, Canopus Procoder, Mainconcept MPEG Encoder, Cinemacraft Encoder or a free encoder like HC Encoder.

4. Authoring: creating titles, menus, adding special effects (again lots of software possibilities from free to expensive).

5. Burning: writing the edited video and authored information to the DVD (most use ImgBurn or Nero, I would recommend ONES).

6. Verifying DVD.

Some people would recommend an ‘all-in-one’ program while others use individual programs optimized for each step in the process to give more complete control and to allow lots of processing (noise removal, de-blocking, etc. – which is a whole study in itself). Determine which format you have (standard or hi-def) then decide on how much time and money you want to spend, and then make a choice. Also keep in mind that 'free' means things will come at a cost too.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble