The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-10, 08:42 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Question Share Ratio Display

Greetings All,

I have a relatively minor (in the grand scheme...) issue and figured I'd pose a query here to see if I can't gain some enlightenment &/or guidance in helping to resolve...

I've recently started taking advantage of hopping on some of the torrents hosted here (MAD props for the diversity of genres offered herein guys!!) & have downloaded a few shows. I've thusfar managed like a 2 to 1 share ratio, as I respect the premise & do my best to keep that seed count up as warranted.

However, my issue is in that my down/up/share ratio amounts aren't being displayed by my user name. I've had no issues with the torrents themselves, all seems to be fine in that regard. But the lack of display info I guess you could say troubles me in that it may be indicative of a larger issue...

I can't surmise the cause, thus the post. For what it's worth, I use BitTorrent 6.0.1 (having just updated from previous version...) & I'm on a broadband line with Comcast.

So, any suggestions &/or wisdom offered will be gratefully appreciated. Like I said, in the grand scheme, more an inconvenience really than an issue per se. But all the same, at the least I want to be able to represent my true share ratio publicly so as to avoid potentials flamings.

Thanks for the space & assistance folks & keep it all in the groove.

Paz Y Musica,
E
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-11, 10:27 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Share Ratio Display

Why don't you post in this thread when you are actually downloading a show and give us a link to the show you are downloading so I can check it out. It's hard to check something out when you aren't giving links to the torrents nor are you torrenting at the moment.

Old 2008-02-11, 11:18 AM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

Lynne is correct, if you're not active right now there is no way to tell where the issue may start.

Turn on your client and start seeding the shows you've downloaded so someone can see you. You said you recently upgraded....what version were you using before....maybe it was a banned version and wasn't properly reporting your stats, hence, no information on your up/down share ratio.....just a thought.

Old 2008-02-11, 12:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATman714 View Post
For what it's worth, I use BitTorrent 6.0.1 (having just updated from previous version...) & I'm on a broadband line with Comcast.
I just saw this also. If you were using a previous version, then the tracker would have ignored anything you told it. You could have downloaded using DHT, but nothing you did would have been changed in your stats since the tracker has been told to ignore other versions of BitTorrent.

Old 2008-02-11, 06:28 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Lynne & Jetrell,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated...

OK, my 'pute is up & my client is on. I am currently seeding 2 shows:

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Febuary 4th, 2008 (The Hard Sell) (1.124 ratio as per my client...)

And

Supertramp - March 22nd, 1979 (2.42 ratio as per my client)

PLUS

I just hopped on the Jack Johnson August 7th, 2005 torrent primarily to have an assuredly active torrent going for your perusal.

I'll keep my 'pute up & running overnight & well into tomorrow to ensure y'all can take a peak at things...

Thanks for the assist & as previously stated, any enlightenment y'all could provide would be wholly welcomed by me!!

Paz Y Musica,
E
Old 2008-02-11, 06:47 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Oh , anudda thang....

My user name is not showing up on the peer list(s) for any of the above mentioned torrents either...

Also, also, (lol) my 'pute is not fed by a router (so it shouldn't be a port forwarding issue...) nor to the best of my knowledge am I firewalled...

Thanx Again,
E
Old 2008-02-11, 07:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Do you think you could send me the torrent file you are using - [email protected]? And you said you are using BitTorrent 6.0, right? Have you made sure to turn DHT off in your client?

Old 2008-02-11, 08:17 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Do you think you could send me the torrent file you are using - [email protected]? And you said you are using BitTorrent 6.0, right? Have you made sure to turn DHT off in your client?
Lynne,

Thanx again for the prompt follow up!

Please forgive my ignorance - when you ask for me to send the torrent file to you, do you mean the URL for the above mentioned Jack Johnson show (&/or the other 2...)? Or is it perhaps something more technical that I'm not quite grasping??

As for DHT - whatever that is, lol - it WAS enabled in my client. I have accordingly disabled as per your suggestion. Will this not take effect until I restart my client do you happen to know?

Sorry for the newbishness, as quite apparently I'm still finding my way technologically speaking in the wonderful world of bit torrents. Your continued assistance & patience is MOST valued & appreciated by me!! THANKS!!!

Worshipping From Afar,
E
Old 2008-02-11, 09:03 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Lynne,

Thanx again for the prompt follow up!

Please forgive my ignorance - when you ask for me to send the torrent file to you, do you mean the URL for the above mentioned Jack Johnson show (&/or the other 2...)? Or is it perhaps something more technical that I'm not quite grasping??

As for DHT - whatever that is, lol - it WAS enabled in my client. I have accordingly disabled as per your suggestion. Will this not take effect until I restart my client do you happen to know?

Sorry for the newbishness, as quite apparently I'm still finding my way technologically speaking in the wonderful world of bit torrents. Your continued assistance & patience is MOST valued & appreciated by me!! THANKS!!!

Worshipping From Afar,
E
When you start a torrent, you do so by first downloading the torrent/attachment from this site and then you start it in your bittorrent client. So, I was wanting to see if I can get the torrent file to work myself - or just take a look at it and make sure it is fine.

DHT is a way to tell your bittorrent client to bypass the tracker. It's great if the tracker goes down, however, since you are bypassing the tracker, that means that you never update the tracker with any data like how much you have uploaded or downloaded. I don't know if you have to restart BitTorrent since I don't use it and I'm not familiar with it (and I'm guessing you are on a PC, and I'm on a Mac, so the client is probably different for me anyway).

Old 2008-02-13, 07:39 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Problem solved....

I dumped BitTorrent in favor of Azureus. I am running a "test torrent" right now & all is as it should be - torrent is flying AND your site now recognizes me as a real entity!!

Thanks for the attempts to help, I guess it was just a undefinable client issue. Easy enough to fix, get a new client!! L&L&LOL...

Only downside? My previous share ratio is now null & void. No worries, given time that'll fix itself...

Appreciate your efforts & input all the same, MUCH thanks!!!

Paz Y Musica,
E
Old 2008-02-13, 10:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Problem solved....

I dumped BitTorrent in favor of Azureus. I am running a "test torrent" right now & all is as it should be - torrent is flying AND your site now recognizes me as a real entity!!

Thanks for the attempts to help, I guess it was just a undefinable client issue. Easy enough to fix, get a new client!! L&L&LOL...

Only downside? My previous share ratio is now null & void. No worries, given time that'll fix itself...

Appreciate your efforts & input all the same, MUCH thanks!!!

Paz Y Musica,
E
I am glad you got it working. I just wish I knew what was wrong before.

You can hit the Contact Us link on the bottom of this page to send an email to Site Admin and let us know what you think your stats should be (total upload and total download) and we can manually enter the numbers for you.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble