The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-21, 08:32 PM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

I don't seem to be uploading unless i'm downloading...

i'm using utorrent 1.7.1 and i dont ulpload unless i'm downloading. once a file is complete i cease to connect to peers and upload.

what the hell?? i am not a leach and always make sure i AT LEAST give back a full ratio.

so, i browsed the forums but was unnable to find and threads related to this problem.

sarah
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-21, 08:45 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: I don't seem to be uploading unless i'm downloading...

i currently do not see you connected with any shows.

check that your utorrent client has shows from this tracker
and that you have not 'finished'/stopped the show(s)

keep your client active and shows seeding after completion to continue upload

Old 2007-07-21, 08:50 PM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

well i'm not connected to any from this tracker at the moment.

when my shows are completed i dont do anything. i leave them as is and they simply stop uploading. in the status column it will give a seeding status however there will be no upload rate.
Old 2007-07-21, 09:14 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by partycrasher
well i'm not connected to any from this tracker at the moment.

when my shows are completed i dont do anything. i leave them as is and they simply stop uploading. in the status column it will give a seeding status however there will be no upload rate.
this is correct - when you stop/finish your torrents - they will not continue to upload.

if you 'start' the torrent back up - it will continue to seed to others grabbing the show.

you arent doing anything wrong - if you deleted the torrent file from the client
you can go back to the thread - 're-download' and point it back at the existing directory on your hard drive

it takes twice as long to upload over download for most connections - just takes time to get a 1.0 ratio

Old 2007-07-21, 09:42 PM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

oh goodness! [slaps self in head]!!

thank you!

Old 2007-07-22, 12:10 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Do you have encryption enabled on your client? And are you using Comcast? Comcast and other ISPs (I think) will prevent you from uploading after completion if you aren't using encryption. You could also try Bittornado 3.18 or Azureus if you still have problems. Both of those have encryption.
Old 2007-07-22, 07:00 AM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

yeah, i forced restarts and then seeded the completed torrents last night before bed and when i woke up: still not seeding!

how do i enable encryption on my client? and roadrunner is my connection.

what's confusing is i upload really well while downloading, though.

Old 2007-07-22, 09:29 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

There should be an option in uTorrent to enable encryption. All you have to do is check a box I think.
Old 2007-07-22, 10:16 AM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

i tried enabling encryption and for a split second an upload rate came up on two of my *seeding* torrents and then never came back. then i tried forced enabling and still nothing. ???
Old 2007-07-22, 10:29 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Are you firewalled? If you are then you can only upload to non-firewalled peers, so if there aren't many of them leeching the show (probably not a problem here at TTD), then you won't have as many opportunities to upload. For instructions on how to forward a port in your firewall so you will not be firewalled for BT, go to www.portforward.com

Maybe you have to restart your client (uTorrent) for encryption to be enabled? Or you could try Bittornado 3.18 or Azureus. I wasn't able to upload after completion until I upgraded to Bittornado 3.18. Also you could use a port between 50,000 and 60,000. The default ports are known to be used by bittorrent so ISPs throttle or limit them.
Old 2007-07-22, 12:43 PM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

i have been restarting the client after changing the settings, so that's not it. and i am behind a firewall but i have utorrent listed as an exception. i think i might try another client since i've also been hearing bad things about my version of utorrent concerning copyrighted material.

thanks for the responses guys!
Old 2007-07-22, 11:16 PM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

well i downloaded bittornado w/o getting rid of utorrent and my d/l rate is sloooowwwwwwwww. so maybe i should uninstall utorrent and restar the pc??? prolly......... i'm just piiiiiissssed that i cant upload cuz that means you cant download!!!! ahhh!!! i'm a little innibriated....... so dont mind the random post!!
Old 2007-07-22, 11:40 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah you should uninstall uTorrent and then restart. Are you firewalled? In the upper right hand corner by your username, does it say firewalled when you have a torrent from here running? Your port # will also be red in the peers list of the torrent you are downloading. Your computer software can have a firewall, like the built in Windows XP firewall, and then there is the firewall on your router (if you use one). Being firewalled will slow down your download speeds A LOT, because you can only download from non-firewalled peers. Once you forward a port in your firewall, you can download from anybody. www.portforward.com
Old 2007-07-23, 10:54 AM
20.30 GB/44.45 GB/2.19

well i checked out port forward but it cost 40 bucks and i'm not willing to pay right now. but, i switched to bittornado and took off my firewall and i am now uploading very slowly after completion. an average of like 9kb/s. :-(

isnt there any way i can configure the port myself? w/o having to use the portforward?

wait a minute, ttd says i am firewalled but i am not......

Last edited by partycrasher; 2007-07-23 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2007-07-23, 11:47 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

No, don't pay money to forward your ports! Use the free guides: http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm Go to 192.168.1.1 and access your router's setup page. You will need the password, look in your router's manual for the defualt password (I think it is 'admin') if you haven't set one. Look for port forwarding. For bittornado, if you want to run two torrents at the same time, you need to forward two ports. 3 torrents at once, 3 ports, etc. Make sure this port number(s) (recommended to use a port(s) between 50,000 and 60,000) match the ones in bittornado. You need TCP or UDP enabled, I forget which one. If you have multiple computers hooked up to the router, it is easier to set up a static internal (not external or WAN) IP address for each computer.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble