The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-07, 09:04 AM
Do lord deliver our kind.
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

Slow-starts

I'm having a hard time understanding why whenever I seed it seems to start at a trickle.

I posted a DVD Video last night before I went to bed fully expecting it to be chugging along this AM and I am U/L'ing like 2.91 KB/s.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=33880

Now when I posted the previous night it started slow as well but eventually was U/L'ing at 90-100 KB/s , and am wondering if it's me or what the deal is?

I'm not fire-walled, so that shoudn't be the issue. HELP!
Old 2007-02-07, 09:58 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Slow-starts

Wow, you really are going along at slow speeds. It looks like you restarted a couple of hours ago but still aren't going any faster than 5 KBps. Three of the eight leechers are firewalled, so that can cause a problem and jokerjoe is on a bunch of torrents which slows down his speeds.

I'd give it a couple of hours and see if it picks up. It isn't a tracker issue since all the tracker does is connect you to people and then it is all of your bittorrent clients that do the work.

I've been reading some interesting things about the future of Azureus and utorrent (both recently bought out by other companies), what client are you using Jack?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-07, 10:07 AM
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

Thanks Lynn. I'm useing the one from the bittorrent.com site. Not sure if I hve 5.0.5 or not, I'll have to check that at lunch.

I'm also going to check my router settings to make sure nothing got messed up there. It's just weird.
Old 2007-02-07, 10:32 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, it is weird, but the weird thing is I've been seeing users post this sort of thread a lot more often lately (I also read other torrent sites to see what is going on). Does bittorrent allow you to encrypt your bittorrent traffic? You may want to try to encrypt your data to see if it goes any faster.

Old 2007-02-07, 12:48 PM
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

FWIW - I D/L'ed the latest uTorrent at lunch, and it didn't change anything. I checked my router settings and all look fine, I'm not firewalled. What is odd is I was seeding at 90-100 KB/s last night, so I'm confident it's not my connection.......
Old 2007-02-07, 02:16 PM
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

ok, after seeding for almost 2 hours at 2-5 KB/s I'm now at 85 KB/s........I don't get it!
Old 2007-02-08, 06:48 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i've been experiencing similar, except after a bit the speeds start picking up...i've also noticed fluctuating speeds...strange, but maybe the new servrs will correct the issue
Old 2007-02-08, 08:28 AM
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
i've been experiencing similar, except after a bit the speeds start picking up...i've also noticed fluctuating speeds...strange, but maybe the new servrs will correct the issue
Now that it's been rolling, if I stop for a bit and re-connect it slowly ramps up to like 24 KB/s in 10 or so minutes. I'll be back to 90-100 KB/s in 2-3 hours it seems. Not sure how the new servers will help, I mean they really don't have any thing to do with it really, do they?
Old 2007-02-08, 09:55 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The new servers will have have no to very little affect. After all, all the tracker/server does is connect you to others initially. After that, it is all up to the clients. Yes, you check in with the tracker every so often, but that is to update your stats. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes the server is busy, so your client checks back in a little bit, and so maybe it is taking a little while to connect you to people.

Old 2007-02-08, 10:33 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

thats where i was heded with Lynne...i guess i'm wondering if the time out issues we've been having with the site are also affecting the connections as well...mine is the same as Jack, if i stop/start a torrent, it'll lag for a while then finally get to normal after a bit
Old 2007-02-08, 10:36 AM
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

I wonder if this has something to do with the personilization of the .torrent file for the seeder? Has it always been like this? I thought the last time I seeded I just opened the .torrent file I made and all was good, now after you upload TTD has a personalized .torrent file for you, right?
Old 2007-02-08, 10:49 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, we have personalized torrents now, but we have had those for about 1.5 years (since July 2005). You know, I have never paid attention to it. I usually post my seed right before I need to take off somewhere or go to bed (so I can set the upload to unlimited). Usually by the time I come back, it is cruising along.

I had also changed the announce time on the torrents after the influx of DIME people, I'll set it back to how it was and see if it makes a difference.

Old 2007-02-08, 12:33 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I've noticed this for a long time. Long before the personalized torrents and new server/tracker. I think it's client specific. FWIW. I get the same behavior on almost all other sites.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble