The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2007-07-20, 04:52 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Lossy Digital-sourced radio sample?

From UK Digital Freeview service - can someone spectrally inspect and report back? Trying to establish if I can upload...

Regards, Graham
Attached Files
File Type: flac 01 Boom Like That 5 sec sample.flac
( 381.3 KB, 9 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-20, 07:27 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Re: Lossy Digital-sourced radio sample?

Nothing to inspect, IMO. All (big/commercial) radios are lossy nowadays - terrestrial broadcasts are also very compressed and very often over saturated to be more 'loud'.

Edit: I'd prefer that a digital capture is seeded in native format: MP2 or AC3. Conversion to WAV>FLAC doubles their lossiness and size.

Last edited by pawel; 2007-07-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 2007-07-20, 08:05 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Nothing to inspect, IMO. All (big/commercial) radios are lossy nowadays - terrestrial broadcasts are also very compressed and very often over saturated to be more 'loud'.

Edit: I'd prefer that a digital capture is seeded in native format: MP2 or AC3. Conversion to WAV>FLAC doubles their lossiness and size.

So, no FM broadcasts, at TTD, then, if all radio is lossy........? There's a torrent category for them.....

I'd love to get a pure digital stream, but the digibox outputs either analogue, via 2 x RCA phono L/R, or 48kHz PCM via single RCA phono. All of my radio captures these days go onto my Alesis Masterlink @ 48kHz, and get archived to CDR with sample rate conversion by the Alesis to 44.1kHz. Everyone recommends EAC, which stores the files as .WAVs, and .FLAC or .SHN are the preferred files for torrents, so I HAVE to convert WAVs to FLACs .... No?

Any FM tuners out there will only output an analogue signal via 2 x RCA phono L/R, so those will have to be D/A converted to start with.....

Do you have any recommendations for gear that does output mp2 or AC3?

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-07-20, 11:27 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

When you wrote "Digital Service" I thought about digital taping as well, for example via a DVB (S/C/T) card or a PVR recorder - both capture and output in native broadcast format.

I think most BBC channels, except HD service, broadcast in MP2, and no higher rate than 192 kbps. So, what you get from your digibox is lossy and converted to wav.
Old 2007-07-20, 11:59 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Darn. I thought it sounded pretty good.

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-07-20, 02:03 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Kind of leaves me between a rock and a hard place; there was a Jeff Beck show uploaded here recently - a pre-FM of the Radio 1 In Concert, but 1 track was missing. I've got that track, but sourced from a Digital Radio Broadcast.

On one hand, it should be uploaded to allow those who got the partial show to fill the gap.

However, if rules is rules....... the folks will have to do without

Regards, Graham

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?