The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-04-27, 03:55 PM
629.91 MB/26.25 MB/0.04

Torrent/Port Help

okay, so i'm new to the whole Torrent thing, i downloaded utorrent, when i first opened it it gave me a thing to open my port or whatever becasue it was closed, it brought me to a site that lists a bunch of ports to open them, but mine isnt on there (mines a Motorola Surfboard SB5100) how can i get my port open to start downloading?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-04-27, 09:12 PM
bob_ross
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Torrent/Port Help

You don't HAVE to open your ports but it helps your speeds tremendously. I would Google "open ports for xxxx modem" and you'll probably find it. Depending on what client you use, you can open one or a range of ports. For everything to work properly you need to have the same port(s) opened on your client, firewall, and modem. The modem is what is usually the stickler for people.

If you're just starting out with BT I suggest reading as much as you can about it. The FAQs here and at bt.etree.org are good places to start. Much of it won't make a lot of sense at the start but you'll start to figure it out eventually. If you have any specific questions, this forum is the place to come!
Old 2006-04-27, 09:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I found this on this page after googling your router:

Does anyone know how to port forward the Motorola SurfBoard SB5100 Cable Modem? I can't find any guide in the net for this modem. I'm using Telstra Bigpond cable internet, help please.....

There is no firewall or router in the Motorola sb5100. It's just a modem and that's it. There is no ports to open up, or to forward.

And this page seems to confirm it (read the whole thread, not just the beginning).

So, what OS are you using? And what bt client? And what makes you think you are firewalled?

Old 2006-04-28, 05:44 AM
629.91 MB/26.25 MB/0.04

OS? sorry i'm pretty much illiterate at this.

and i think i'm firewalled becasue i have Mcaffe Firewall Express installed on my CP.

and my Bit Client is uTorrent.
Old 2006-04-28, 08:31 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

OS meaning operating system--Mac or PC or Linux?

either way you'll need to forward the same ports in untorrent's preferences, mcaffee's preferences, and your modem [if it acts as a router].
Old 2006-04-28, 10:36 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yes, as Aaron said, you will have to tell utorrent NOT to randomize the port, but to use a specific port (I'd suggest using one over 50000). And then you need to make sure that Mcaffee will allow utorrent to get through it's firewall. I'm unfamiliar with that application, so I can't help with it. I did find this link where someone was helping to forward the ports in Mcaffee for use with Shareza. Just do the same thing for whatever bittorrent client you are using.

http://wiki.shareaza.com/static/FAQ....cafeeFirewall4

Old 2006-04-28, 02:30 PM
629.91 MB/26.25 MB/0.04

Thanks for the responces guys, i'm trying to figure it out now

and i have a PC.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble