The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-11-24, 05:03 AM
93.79 GB/33.08 GB/0.35

How do you set up a static IP address

How do you set up a static IP address. I am using mac OSX 10.4.3 and a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router. When i go to What's my ip address i get a number starting 86.132 .........

Any help would be gratefully received.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-11-24, 08:28 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Re: How do you set up a static IP address

Static IP is something you have to take up with your Internet Service Provider. Usually it costs a little bit more per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-11-24, 09:31 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmachine
How do you set up a static IP address. I am using mac OSX 10.4.3 and a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router. When i go to What's my ip address i get a number starting 86.132 .........

Any help would be gratefully received.

IF YOU HAVE CABLE THEN YOU ALREADY LIKELY HAVE A STATIC ADDRESS
Old 2005-11-24, 10:26 AM
93.79 GB/33.08 GB/0.35

I am in the UK using BT Broadband. I had been led to believe that to set up a static IP address all needed to do is to change the settings in System Pref's / Network.
Old 2005-11-24, 11:31 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I think what you may be talking about is a static *local* IP address which is easy to set up. If you have several computers at home connected up to the router (like I do) then each needs it's own local IP so that the traffic coming into the router knows which computer to be forwarded to.

System Preferences -> Network -> Select Local Ethernet Connection and Configure below -> Configure IPv4: Manually and then input an IP that looks like 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx is a number between 2 and 999) Subnet Mask is probably 255.255.255.0 and Router IP is probably 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers you would get from your ISP.

Hope that helps.

Old 2005-11-25, 03:46 AM
110.06 GB/57.87 GB/0.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort
IF YOU HAVE CABLE THEN YOU ALREADY LIKELY HAVE A STATIC ADDRESS
If you have an ADSL router you do not have cable
Old 2005-11-25, 03:56 AM
93.79 GB/33.08 GB/0.35

First of all thanks to all who replied, especially u2Lynne for the instructions on Static IP's.

I have just one machine connected to the BT Voyager 205 router on broadband and I have no problems using BitTorrent.

I am trying to use Soulseek and the instructions on Portforward.com say that I need to set up a Static Ip address before I can forward the ports.

I never shut down my machine and always leave it on sleep.

Since i do not shutdown the machine I presume that my Ip address does not change. Do i therefore need to set up a Static IP, before i can forward the ports?.

Thanks once again for all your help
Old 2005-11-25, 05:46 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
First of all thanks to all who replied, especially u2Lynne for the instructions on Static IP's.

I have just one machine connected to the BT Voyager 205 router on broadband and I have no problems using BitTorrent.

I am trying to use Soulseek and the instructions on Portforward.com say that I need to set up a Static Ip address before I can forward the ports.

Since i do not shutdown the machine I presume that my Ip address does not change. Do i therefore need to set up a Static IP, before i can forward the ports?.

IF YOUR NOT NETWORKED WHY DO YOU NEED A ROUTER ?
Old 2005-11-25, 06:24 AM
110.06 GB/57.87 GB/0.53

Quote:

Ok first you do not need a static IP to forward ports. Go ahead and get your ports forwarded as per router instructions from portforward.com.
What happens is when your ISP changes your IP address you will need to re forward your ports with the new address UNLESS you have a static IP.
Clearly it happens when you reboot and the computer looks for an IP address so less often if 'on all time'
I am with pipex in the UK who will sell me a static IP for a higher monthly package. Actually up to 8 !!
I was PMed a great deal of good info on this all when I joined here and I have done the same. Any questions give me a shout
Old 2005-11-25, 07:41 AM
93.79 GB/33.08 GB/0.35

The router was provided by my ISP for free when I signed up for Broadband.

I did not get any other option.
Old 2005-11-25, 08:00 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
The router was provided by my ISP for free when I signed up for Broadband.

I did not get any other option.

I SEE SO ITS A ROUTER AND MODEM IN ONE ! COOL I THINK ?
Old 2005-11-25, 08:25 AM
93.79 GB/33.08 GB/0.35

I think it is
Old 2005-11-25, 08:50 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I think it is

must be

as you dont need a router but you do need a modem !

but in case you have a modem to get rid of the router

you'll be better off
Old 2005-11-25, 03:26 PM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:

Note that there are two types of static IPs. You can be issued a static IP by your internet provider which means that everytime you connect (or your router is rebooted) you will be guaranteed to have the same IP publically shown on the internet. It's rare to have this without paying extra for it.

Each machine on your internet network also needs to be assigned an IP address, some routers do this dynamically (DHCP) so that it is possible that your PC might get a different IP each time it is booted -- something that is more likely to happen with the more machines on a network. However, it is usually preferable to use static IPs for your local machines and then set a static port forward from the router to your PC.

In the situation you describe, you should be able to just leave the router and PC on. There is a small possibility that things might change if you need to reboot/turn something off/lose power -- but you should just have to reset the settings and off you go.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble