The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-02, 08:46 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Re: Trader's Little Helper

I just tried to download the update but it seems v9.1.48 isn't there anymore. Not found.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-02, 08:59 PM
520.32 GB/630.74 GB/1.21

It's still there - look on the bottom!

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Old 2005-03-02, 09:01 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonk66
For some reason - I can't stop playing with all of these frontends
me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
I just tried to download the update but it seems v9.1.48 isn't there anymore. Not found.
I just went and checked, I could get it just fine. I downloaded another copy to my desktop just now, give it another shot.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-03-02, 09:05 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Damn. I got the 404 error, then I tried "save link target as" and it said the file wasn't there and maybe it got moved. I'll try again.

Got it this time.

Old 2005-03-03, 12:03 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five

as for the md5 problem... it seems to have fixed itself! The files I was working on have been renamed since this morning, and I tried it again now and couldn't get it to crash. It's the old case of calling the television repair man and when he arrives the TV works fine.
This prog definitely is capable of repairing itself cause it was coded in a top secret research lab on Area 51 ...

Quote:

When I was having the problem, the 1st file was verifying fine, then for the 2nd and every other file I was getting the popup that says "Error: Invalid Data Line 8: audio file does not exits. Ignore and continue?" as pictured here:
... Each file caused the popup, which would say Line 8, Line 9, etc. All's well that ends well, I can't make it happen again right now, so I'll guess it wasn't because of your prog.
An error message "Line ...: audio file does not exist." will be shown if the file to verify the checksum for has been renamed, moved to another directory or deleted after the creation of the md5 file or if changes were made in the md5 file itself. In some rare cases this message also will pop up if another program is accessing the file at the same time (specially when you're still uploading the file and want to verify the checksum). This will be fixed in the next version of Trader's Little Helper.

Quote:

As for fixing SBEs, thanks, I've found the "fix/preview" option and am going to try it out in a few minutes. For changing the order of files, I tried dragging and dropping the files in the list displayed by TLH but it didn't work, they just highlight but won't move. I'm using WIN2KPRO. No biggie, I can't see myself ever needing to change the order but I thought you might like to know.
You can move one file or multiple files. To try out just click one file with your _left_ mouse button. The line will be highlighted. Then click on this line with your _right_ mouse button _but_ keep the button pressed. Move the mouse cursor (the cursor pic will change) to the line you want to move the file to. Release the button and the file order has been changed.

Don't know if you users are more into "Move up/down" buttons. Would be no big problem to add this feature. Let me know.
Old 2005-03-03, 04:39 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

yeah, I believe that my "md5 bug" is completely my own fault. the show I was testing with had the tracks named with d1t1 - d1t15 , so it was sorting with 10 after 1 if you know what I mean. Now I'm pretty sure that I renamed the files to d1t01 ... etc then got the errors after that. sorry for the false alarm! I guess the only discovery that I've found from this is that the md5 checking in your program stops checking and requires the user to hit "ok" when a file can't be found, perhaps it could continue checking and just give an error message at the end like other other md5 checkers at least that's how I'd prefer it.

As for the changing of the the order, I tried left clicking and highlighting a file, then dragging but as I drag it just highlights other files and the order doesn't change. I have other programs where you can change the order that work by dragging so I know how it works but I couldn't get this to work with your program. No biggie for me, I normally wouldn't want to change the order anyways. I just suggested the move up/move down buttons because on some other programs where I couldn't drag the programmers have added these buttons... I'd still prefer to drag, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
This prog definitely is capable of repairing itself cause it was coded in a top secret research lab on Area 51 ...
I should have known

I'm using your program regularly now.

Quote:
Old 2005-03-05, 02:46 PM
rerem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Gotta give this a shot,shntool makes me nuts. It may be a much different sort of code but an ability to quick scan to see if music files are overloaded-clipping,would be a neat feature. Clipped peak issues seem about as common as SBE's and are even more noticable. I can load all the waves into Soundforge and look song by song but I don't want to do that for every disc I burn. Other shows come with very low levels. Generally normalizing individually scans a song for peak and adjusts from that,so t-1 and t-2 may not be at the same loudness but the normalizing will try to make them so,which makes it not useful for live shows. a batch normalizer that could load a disc's worth of songs,find the peak of the whole group and apply equal adjustment woul be a nice trader tool too. Maybe such a prog exists and I missed it. It looks to me like mkw is fading from use,and ape never caught on-takes forever to decode ape on my machine. Before long flac will be the norm with some shn,while the various others will seldom be seen
Old 2005-03-06, 12:50 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerem
Gotta give this a shot,shntool makes me nuts. It may be a much different sort of code but an ability to quick scan to see if music files are overloaded-clipping,would be a neat feature. Clipped peak issues seem about as common as SBE's and are even more noticable. I can load all the waves into Soundforge and look song by song but I don't want to do that for every disc I burn. Other shows come with very low levels. Generally normalizing individually scans a song for peak and adjusts from that,so t-1 and t-2 may not be at the same loudness but the normalizing will try to make them so,which makes it not useful for live shows. a batch normalizer that could load a disc's worth of songs,find the peak of the whole group and apply equal adjustment woul be a nice trader tool too. Maybe such a prog exists and I missed it. It looks to me like mkw is fading from use,and ape never caught on-takes forever to decode ape on my machine. Before long flac will be the norm with some shn,while the various others will seldom be seen
I think it might be better to leave a job like this to a WAV editor, a prog like Audacity could do this.

If it's just available blindly at a push of a button I'm not sure that's a good thing... even if it was programmed as perfectly as possible I'd still want to look it over in a WAV editor to make sure it was done right before passing it on. So maybe it's better just to do it in a WAV editor.

Quote:
Old 2005-03-07, 09:13 AM
26 Reds &a Bottle of Wine
3.34 TB/4.73 TB/1.42

and have the time of our lives !

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing.....
Old 2005-03-25, 11:38 AM
911.02 GB/430.06 GB/0.47

I believe I may have discovered a bug/conflict with the Trader's Little Helper program. I am running Windows XP-SP2 (fully patched) and also running the Cygwin X-Server for Windows (open-source application to run X-based applications in a Win32 environment). The TLH installer puts its "cygwin1.dll" file in the "Windows" directory. With this file present, the Cygwin X-server will not start. Cygwin X-server uses "cygwin1.dll" version 1005.12.0.0, and it is located (by default) in the "cygwin\bin" folder.

Now for me, I am able to work around this issue, by running TLH on another PC on my home network. Great program, haven't run across any functionality issues with the program itself! It would be nice to able to run it on my main PC also.

I am running the latest version of TLH, BTW.

Sedate-ed
Old 2005-03-26, 05:08 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedate-ed
I believe I may have discovered a bug/conflict with the Trader's Little Helper program. I am running Windows XP-SP2 (fully patched) and also running the Cygwin X-Server for Windows (open-source application to run X-based applications in a Win32 environment). The TLH installer puts its "cygwin1.dll" file in the "Windows" directory. With this file present, the Cygwin X-server will not start. Cygwin X-server uses "cygwin1.dll" version 1005.12.0.0, and it is located (by default) in the "cygwin\bin" folder.

Now for me, I am able to work around this issue, by running TLH on another PC on my home network. Great program, haven't run across any functionality issues with the program itself! It would be nice to able to run it on my main PC also.

I am running the latest version of TLH, BTW.

Sedate-ed
Trader's Little Helper doesn't need/use cygwin1.dll, but shorten and shntool (which are called by Trader's Little Helper for some functionality) will not run if cygwin1.dll is not installed. So the version of cygwin1.dll which comes with the latest shorten/shntool releases is included in the setup file for Trader's Little Helper. This "original DLL" is version 1005.9.0.0. Most likely there is a conflict with this one year old version because Cygwin X-Server installs/needs an updated one.

I've run some tests with shorten/shntool using the newest version of cygwin1.dll (1005.13.0.0). Seems everything is fine. So the following workaround should solve your problem: Just copy (not move) the version of cygwin1.dll which comes with Cygwin X-Server from your "cygwin\bin" folder to the "Windows" directory (so the version Trader's Little Helper had installed will be replaced).

Please let me know whether or not this works.
Old 2005-03-26, 01:29 PM
911.02 GB/430.06 GB/0.47

That worked like a charm!!! Thank you I can now use both the X-Server and TLH (or shntool, more correctly ).

It never even occurred to me that cygwin1.dll was simply a requirement of shntool (which is why I said "may have found a bug" versus "I found a bug" ). Didn't even think of trying something as basic as copying the newer .dll file to the Windows directory....

I appreciate your fast response and very imformative answer.

Sedate-ed
Old 2005-03-26, 04:40 PM
184.53 GB/286.97 GB/1.56

I have just come across an odd problem.
I am testing some FLACs I d/l from STG - 1 track comes up as containing invalid data.
However, the fingerprint check passes with no errors, and checking the file in just FLAC frontend also gets an all clear.
Erm, that's it. I haven't tried decoding through TLH yet. That's next. Just wanted to report this odd happening.

BTW, Trader's Little Helper is a fantastic tool. Thank you!
Old 2005-03-26, 04:46 PM
184.53 GB/286.97 GB/1.56

Ok - I have successfully decoded this FLAC file to WAV with TLH - with no errors.
I also tested the whole set through the SBE checker - again, no problems.
So, I tested the encoded file again - and came up with the same invalid data box - with errors reported.
Odd..
Old 2005-03-27, 02:48 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon
I have just come across an odd problem.
I am testing some FLACs I d/l from STG - 1 track comes up as containing invalid data.
However, the fingerprint check passes with no errors, and checking the file in just FLAC frontend also gets an all clear.
I have successfully decoded this FLAC file to WAV with TLH - with no errors.
I also tested the whole set through the SBE checker - again, no problems.
So, I tested the encoded file again - and came up with the same invalid data box - with errors reported.
Odd..
... ... please give me some more details:

(1) What version of Trader's Little Helper are you using (if you right-click on the Trader's Little Helper icon to get the system menu there's an about item)?

(2) Does this error only occur when you're testing this as a single file or does it also occur when there are other files to test in the list?

(3) What are the exact words in the error message box that pops up?

(4) What are the exact words reported in the log window?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper