The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-16, 07:30 PM
170.87 GB/193.84 GB/1.13

Proper Trading Technique

Hey, guys. I'm just trying to learn a little more about doing a trade the right way and this question is about trading lossless audio.

Is it better to trade lossless shows that you already have archived by just burning them to a Data DVD or CD so the audio doesn't get wrecked next time it is going to be ripped by that person or is it fine to just burn it like an Audio CD so it can be listened to like a normal CD?

I hope my question makes sense. What is proper technique of trading lossless shows?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-16, 08:00 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Re: Proper Trading Technique

depends on who you trade with. some people only trade audio cds, so thats what you will get. those i eac as soon as i get them, and create my own text file including known lineage. other people are able to and like to trade lossless data sets, and i will trade that way with them... typically dvds so you get a whole bunch of shows

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Old 2008-02-16, 08:06 PM
170.87 GB/193.84 GB/1.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex View Post
depends on who you trade with. some people only trade audio cds, so thats what you will get. those i eac as soon as i get them, and create my own text file including known lineage. other people are able to and like to trade lossless data sets, and i will trade that way with them... typically dvds so you get a whole bunch of shows
Is it a good idea to e-mail the lineage, cover art and all the other stuff if I have it?
Old 2008-02-17, 05:04 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i'd say 98% of the time i'm trading data discs [CDR or DVDR] of the lossless file sets including info/checksums...on the rare occasion someone wants a show burned to Audio CDR, i'll email them the info text & checksums

artwork isn't so important, but lineage & checksums are - so you should always include them one way or another
Old 2008-02-17, 05:42 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

I only seem to trade with guys who want cds only. Very few of my trades are with folks who want to trade data discs - pity.

I used to burn shows to disc and put them in jewelcases with art, but gave up because I have far too many shows to that with. I have them in plastic sleeves in a flightcase and back up dvds with all the info, etc. However, I do mail the info files and artwork to those who only want the burned discs. There are too many unknown gen cds doing the rounds - ok, so most of the sound quality is not lost by transferring from cd to cd, but still...
Old 2008-02-18, 06:32 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

A lot of it seems to depend on the bands you're trading. I've got quite a few Sisters of Mercy, lossless is pretty much an unknown quantity there. Traders are much more interested in a rare show. And will hoard them for years. With others, like the Clapton ones I have, the soundsboards seem to be the ones people are after the most.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble