The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-04-28, 09:42 AM
201.30 GB/66.70 GB/0.33

Question New To This

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the Torrent scene and I have a couple of questions to ask. I have searched the FAQ and Technobabble areas and could not seem to find answers, so pardon me if these questions are repetitive.

I want to know, first off, how to convert a .torrent file to a file that enabales me to burn to a DVD. I have the trial version of WinAVI Convertor that I have messed around with. I used the program on a .torrent file and it converted it into a folder that has a Audio_TS sub folder and a Video_TS sub folder. In each of these subfolders are .BUP, .VOB, & .IFO files.
How do I burn these files to a DVD+R disc?

Am I using the correct program for this? I am running Windows XP and I do have a DVD burner. I am hoping for lehman explanation also

Thanks In Advance!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-04-28, 09:59 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: New To This

You need to read the BitTorrent section of the FAQ: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...aq_downloading You do not convert a .torrent into anything, you use it to download the shows.

As for burning, you will find most PC users like to use Ones or Nero to burn their DVDs. Do a search in this forum and you will find instructions on how to burn using them.

Old 2008-04-28, 10:39 AM
201.30 GB/66.70 GB/0.33

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into this.
Old 2008-04-28, 10:52 AM
201.30 GB/66.70 GB/0.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You need to read the BitTorrent section of the FAQ: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...aq_downloading You do not convert a .torrent into anything, you use it to download the shows.

As for burning, you will find most PC users like to use Ones or Nero to burn their DVDs. Do a search in this forum and you will find instructions on how to burn using them.

I'm back.

So once I have d/l the torrent file, I should be able to burn it to disc using one of the aforementioned programs? I dont need to do any "converting" of files before burning?
Old 2008-04-28, 11:05 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzoholic View Post
So once I have d/l the torrent file, I should be able to burn it to disc using one of the aforementioned programs? I dont need to do any "converting" of files before burning?
That's correct. None of the DVDs you download from this site need to be "converted". They are already in the DVD format. Just burn them to a DVD using Nero or Ones.

It should take you 15 minutes (a 4X speed) or 8 minutes (at 8X speed) to burn a single layer DVD disc. If you burn at higher speeds you risk the chance of creating a coaster.
Old 2008-04-28, 11:09 AM
201.30 GB/66.70 GB/0.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
Quote:
That's correct. None of the DVDs you download from this site need to be "converted". They are already in the DVD format. Just burn them to a DVD using Nero or Ones.

It should take you 15 minutes (a 4X speed) or 8 minutes (at 8X speed) to burn a single layer DVD disc. If you burn at higher speeds you risk the chance of creating a coaster.
So when I have fininshed d/l a torrent file and it shows up in a folder with the Audio_TS & Video_TS subfolders, will I simply select the folder with these sub folders as the "file" I want to burn? Is any of the freeware/shareware out there capable of burning these files? (I'm a cheap bastitch...."Johnny Dangerously)

I apologize for what seems to be questions for a fairly simple process. Again, this is all new to me and I need help from you experts. Thanks for your patience with me.
Old 2008-04-28, 11:21 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

If you're looking for freeware buring applications then check out IMGBurn. You can download it from: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Here's a guide on how to burn DVDs with IMGBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632
The guide is really detailed so you shouldn't have any problems burning a disc.

Burning with IMGBurn involves a few more extra steps than using Nero or Ones, but it's free so you can't complain.
Old 2008-04-28, 11:26 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Make sure the download finishes prior to you burning any files. A DVD will take several hours to download depending on how many people are on the torrent.

Old 2008-04-28, 11:34 AM
201.30 GB/66.70 GB/0.33

Thanks again DanielG & U2Lynne. I d/l both nights of LZ @ Kneborth and the Seattle show over the weekend and I can't to watch them on the BIG screen with a good sound system. My next d/l will be of the Earls Court shows.

Again, THANKS!!!
Old 2008-04-28, 11:38 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Don't forget to start your torrent up again, or keep it running, after you have finished the download. BitTorrent works by everyone sharing the data they have. If you look at your ratio, you have downloaded 17 GB or data but only shared 1 GB. You want to share as much as possible. Most people try to leave their bittorrents running overnight to share as much as possible. Just pick two torrents every night to share and your ratio should go up.

Old 2008-04-28, 11:52 AM
201.30 GB/66.70 GB/0.33

Quote:
Don't forget to start your torrent up again, or keep it running, after you have finished the download. BitTorrent works by everyone sharing the data they have. If you look at your ratio, you have downloaded 17 GB or data but only shared 1 GB. You want to share as much as possible. Most people try to leave their bittorrents running overnight to share as much as possible. Just pick two torrents every night to share and your ratio should go up.
Will do U2. I certainley want to keep the good karma going for those that have helped me out. I've just recently discovered this site and all the cool things available. My head is swimming in it's possibilities
This could be the beginning of a serious addiction
Old 2008-04-28, 07:19 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
You have no idea just how serious

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2008-04-29, 05:50 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd View Post
Quote:
You have no idea just how serious
werd! next you''ll be buying taping gear...kiss your life and cash goodbye Bonzoholic
Old 2008-04-29, 06:06 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Don't forget to start your torrent up again, or keep it running, after you have finished the download. ... Most people try to leave their bittorrents running overnight to share as much as possible.
Dare I suggest that considerations of 'during the day' and 'overnight' might not enter into it, when there seems to be a good number of sharers here in Europe and other territories as well as the good ol' US of A....?

I leave mine running overnight, and you Yanks are all at work, college or suchlike....

Have the moderators got a picture of the TTD demographic? Users classified by country, etc...?

Regards, Graham
Old 2008-04-29, 02:29 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.59

Quote:
watch them on the BIG screen with a good sound system.
And yet you won't spend a few bucks to get a good burning program so you can be sure of a well burned DVD?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble