The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-06-09, 09:05 PM
1.36 TB/1.28 TB/0.95

Question When done is not done

I just changed computers, sort of. I started using a Mac dual 1ghz G4 as my main machine, but I'm still booting off of my Mac Mini. When I restarted my torrents, I started getting frequent errors saying "Critical: told file complete on start-up, but piece failed hash check" and "Critical: data corrupted on disk - maybe you have two copies running?"
I haven't altered or moved any of the files. They are all located on the same HDs that they were originally downloaded to. I've also downloaded a few new torrents to the HD on the "new" machine successfully. I have gotten these errors on torrents located on all three of my HDs (two of which are fairly new). Piece 457 of Dave Chappelle 4-14-04 late show failed hash checks 25 times before it was properly downloaded. This was after it had finished and was seeding. I've had to restart the KVHW Sebastapol a million times. It's said 30 days to go for days now -- thanks for hanging on goodkarmec. I had to redownload pieces of a few other completed torrents too.
Is this normal? Is there some common reason for things to be behaving like this? Even though it's a different computer -- a far better one -- I'm using the same OS 10.4.6 system (booted from the Mini in target disk mode) that I've been using since starting to download torrents a month ago. It doesn't make sense to me that it would be so different. Any ideas about what's going on here?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-09, 10:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: When done is not done

Well, I've never seen that error before so I can't tell you if it's normal. Well, I guess I can tell you... no it's not normal - I've never heard of it before.

I've never done what you are doing, but a couple things come to mind.... have you repaired permissions on both machines lately? And, on these torrents you are having problems with, have you tried running the md5s on the files to see if the files verify? On the show you restarted, are you getting any error message? Also, are your ports forwarded (so you aren't firewalled, that could be why you aren't completing that show)?

Old 2006-06-09, 11:01 PM
1.36 TB/1.28 TB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Well, I've never seen that error before so I can't tell you if it's normal. Well, I guess I can tell you... no it's not normal - I've never heard of it before.

I've never done what you are doing, but a couple things come to mind.... have you repaired permissions on both machines lately? And, on these torrents you are having problems with, have you tried running the md5s on the files to see if the files verify? On the show you restarted, are you getting any error message? Also, are your ports forwarded (so you aren't firewalled, that could be why you aren't completing that show)?
Thanks for the quick reply.
I want to finish the KVHW show that goodkarmec and get_1112003 are graciously and patiently hanging on to finish seeding me, despite my numerous disconnections in the last few days. I will try repairing permissions after it's complete or the next time things get so bad that I need to restart my machines, whichever comes first.
How do you run md5s on a mac? I just spent a little while searching for md5 references in Technobabble, but could only find windows help. Is there something like Traders Little Helper for Macs (or some other program you can run md5s with)?
I've been getting these errors intermittently on every torrent I'm running. I just burned Dave Chappelle before starting it again. When I started it again, it downloaded piece 239 20 times before it was satisfied.
My ports are forwarded and I'm definitely not firewalled.
BTW, I'm using BitTorrent 4.4.1. I don't want to use Azureus, but I could try Tomato if you think it might help.
Old 2006-06-09, 11:19 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You want xACT: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/14246 . It is the all-in-one app for Mac. Traders Little Helper came about *because* of xACT. It was around first.

You can repair permissions at anytime. You can have Azureus or whatever apps running at the time.

You run md5s with xACT. I like bittorrent better than tomato torrent, but I prefer Azureus.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble