The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-11, 05:42 PM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Recognizing Peers/Seeds; No UL/DL, though? Perhaps PC help needed?

Hey,
First time this one's happened... I'm using Shad0w's experimental client on my box and BitTornado on my laptop, but I'm having the same problems with both. Everything's been working fine forever, but today I noticed my system was running kind of slow so I shut it down, restarted it. So far, so good. I reconnect to the moe. torrent, and although it connects to both seeds and peers, I leave it online for about 6 hours of school and come home to find a whopping 0.06MiB downloaded and 0.04MiB uploaded. Something struck me as odd, since I'd been working on the Bob Dylan "Night of the Hurricane" torrent while on the school connection and had no problems there. Turns out the Dylan torrent had the same issue as the moe torrent once I was on my home cable connection. So I call up my cable provider to see if there's been any sort of Bittorrent ban or anything - nope, they're fine with BT. I try downloading from easytree, but same problems with torrent connections from files available on their board. So I check my router settings and yeah, my firewall's configured correctly still and I've got a DMZ set up for my computer's IP address. So I call my fifteen year old little brother who works tech support for the local Catholic school's network; even he can't think of anything. In desperation, I turn to the Bittorrent experts of the Traders' Den. I can download from FTPs fine, and still access web pages; it's only BitTorrent uploading and downloading that just doesn't seem to want to move an inch. When I took my laptop back to school, the Dylan torrent started working again, so I'm pretty darn sure it's something to do with my router or the connection here -- but what could have happened during a system shutdown that would create a problem like this? Any ideas? Help? Suggestion?

I'd appreciate any and all That moe.vie is just killing me right now.. Thanks!

Edit: I'm running Windows XP on both systems, but I haven't installed Service Pack 2 yet. Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, SURFBoard SB4100 Cable Modem, Vista Media Cable Internet Service.

Last edited by U2Lynne; 2005-02-13 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added PC to title to see if a PC person could help out
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-11, 07:05 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Recognizing Peers/Seeds; No UL/DL, though?

When was the last time you had it successfully running from home? Can you think of anything that has changed since then? Is your Windows XP firewall off (you didn't say)?

If it's your router.... have you updated the firmware lately? I was reading something some Linksys routers where if your download speeds get too great, then your connection gets dropped, but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about (it is in this FAQ).

Old 2005-02-11, 10:11 PM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Last time it was running fine was immediately before I turned the computer off and turned it back on. My little brother asked me about Windows Firewall as well; it doesn't appear in my control panel or "security menu", and I think this is because I don't have Service Pack 2 installed. Should I do that now? It seems weird that I would suddenly lose BT ability because I don't have SP2 installed. I went ahead and read through that Linksys faq.. and nothing seems to sound like my situation. Literally EVERYTHING else works other than BitTorrent. It's very strange. I just did an AntiVir test and cleaned out two trojans, but the problem still remains. About to do a Spybot Search & Destroy run... I'm starting to get depressed now, though.
Old 2005-02-11, 11:28 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Double check your router settings. Make sure that your internal LAN IP is properly set. Make sure your internal LAN is using a static IP, and your router knows that. Check that your router ports are still forwarded & are forwarding TO THE CORRECT IP.
Old 2005-02-12, 10:41 AM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Wazoo,
I'm pretty sure everything is OK, although I am definitely no expert with networking. My router's firewall connection is enabled; the option for "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" is unchecked; my ports from 6881 to 6889 are being forwarded to the first IP address in my array of computers as always. I tried enabling a DMZ, but since that didn't work I turned it back off. How exactly would I ensure that my internal LAN is using a static IP (I think it is -- .100)? How would I see if my router recognizes that? I've been poring through the options on my Linksys setup page and can't seem to find anything related to static IP, except for the static DNS listings (which are all 0.0.0.0) down on the main setup page.

Thanks again for all the help on this issue... it's almost like the issue I'm having is with my uploading, and BT not working is just a symptom of that. I'm starting to notice some webpages timing out when I first try to access them, then loading up after a few tries. I'm doing another virus scan on both systems just in case, but my little brother is convinced it's something with my router. It just seems weird that it would change its own settings.
Old 2005-02-12, 01:44 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Here is a good link on setting up Linksys routers: http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

See if that helps you out or gives you some tips. It starts out by helping you set up a static IP address, which you will need and I'm unclear whether you have done this correctly.

Old 2005-02-12, 03:43 PM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Lynne, thanks for the link - followed all of the directions on their site, and set up a static IP (didn't have one expressly set in windows TCP/IP settings before) for my computer, then directed the router to expose my computer in DMZ mode so I should have had no firewall protection whatsoever -- same problem, no upload connecting to any other users, although they are showing up as peers and seeds (shad0w's BT client shows the yellow "problem connection" light, but according to my router there's no firewall protection up). Any new ideas would be appreciated
Old 2005-02-13, 05:10 PM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Any more ideas? Still having this absence of upload bandwidth, and it's not really interfering with anything BUT bittorrent and a few page loadtimes; it's upsetting me enough now though that I'm tempted to rent a new cable modem from the cable co. to replace the one I've got to see if that's the problem. Any other ideas of ways to find out what's wrong with my upstream before I go to such measures? Any help is VERY much appreciated!
Old 2005-02-13, 05:54 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Let me change the title to put PC in there and see if someone else can come in and help. I'm the wrong person if this is a PC issue.

Old 2005-02-14, 10:16 AM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Re: Recognizing Peers/Seeds; No UL/DL, though? Perhaps PC help needed?

Lynne,
I thought it might have been a PC issue at first; the fact that I'm sitting on my school connection right now and accessing torrents fine, yet have no upstream bandwidth at home, is starting to make me think it's a modem or router issue, which will be a pain to work with... so, thanks for the topic change and bump; hopefully someone will give me an idea of something to try before resorting to a new cable modem or router.
Old 2005-02-14, 04:56 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Did you plug your computer directly into the cable modem ? See if that eliminates the problem. That will eliminate the router from the equation, if nothing else. Are you SURE that you've set the router to talk to the correct IP's on your LAN ? I mean, powering down the computer wouldn't change anything on your router, but it could possibly cause your networking settings to change.

Are ports 6969 and 6881> forwarded ?
Old 2005-02-15, 10:14 AM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

wazoo,
I attempted that, but then had no connection whatsoever - my little brother told me that it's probably because the router's address is registered with the cable co., not my computer's individual address (that makes no sense to me, but I stopped developing my "computer geek" skills right around the time broadband and networking blew up). Ports 6881-89 (I think; not at home right now) are definitely still forwarded for BT, just like I'd set them up to forward back when I was on everydayjones... I've never had 6969 forwarded though. Is that something specific for this site? I can't transfer easytree torrents anymore, now, either... There is a possibility that there's a communications issue, IP-wise, between the router and the LAN. I know that this would be a big pain for you, seeing how much information on the subject has already been posted in this post alone, but since I've had no luck when I follow the IP-configuration suggestions on the Linksys FAQ, could you suggest a from-the-beginning, step-by-step path for me to ensure that all the networking settings didn't get screwed by my computer shutting down that one day? Thanks so much for the help; I still haven't had enough free time in a day to get in touch with the cable co., so if I can get this fixed w/o having to try a new modem that'd be great!
Old 2005-02-15, 02:05 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerDrew
wazoo,
my little brother told me that it's probably because the router's address is registered with the cable co., not my computer's individual address
This matters. Maybe your little brother can configure it for you.
Quote:
I've never had 6969 forwarded though. Is that something specific for this site?
You don't need to open port 6969 at all. Port 6969 is the port on the TTD tracker that your client connects to. Your client initiates that connection so you don't need to open a special port for it.
Old 2005-02-16, 04:56 PM
67.27 GB/56.32 GB/0.84

Ok, everybody -- I got the cable co to help me recognize first my desktop, then my laptop; the connection worked, but the BT problem was still there. The weirdest part was when we ran a test on the UL/DL speeds and the UL speed showed as normal. I've got my cable modem connected directly to my laptop now and although I can recognize peers and seeds still, there's -nothing- happening on my UL and DL. I just can't imagine how 7 months of normal operation can suddenly crap out on a whim, especially when I'm backdoor-free and everything runs fine on any connections but mine. The cable guy suggested I try a new modem first, then they'll check for problems on the outside line. It's just odd that everything looks to be working fine... EXCEPT BITTORRENT. And just when so much good shit is coming up on this site too... anyone want to do some trades or B+P for the two new moe posts and the Phish 12-02 setbreak video?
Old 2005-02-16, 05:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The way things are sounding, I would think your modem is at fault also (you have reset it I assume).

I'm not a moe or phish fan, but I'll bet if you ask in those threads you will find someone will to help you out.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble