The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-10-27, 07:05 PM
1.08 TB/721.68 GB/0.65

FIREWALLED Using VPN Service ?

I've read all info pertaining to being firewalled and have always been technically proficient enough to do these things with no problem. How that times have changed and many of us have to use a VPN service in order to download anything without fear of criminal prosecution. In my country of origin it is illegal to download this material period. So I have no choice but to use a VPN service.
The problem with a VPN is it KILLS upload speeds. Drastically cutting them back. I may get about 25% of what i used to get. If I'm lucky. So in time my ratio is going to die a slow death. It not because I don't seed back. Most of the time I'm FIREWALLED on this site and it is getting more and more difficult to correct this. It maybe impossible in the near future. I now spend more time on my computer trying to sort these problems out. Spent all day today trying to work out my current connection problems. Port forward is dead at the moment. The VPN may work fine for a short period of time. But external influences on these services may cause you to constantly make adjustments to them. Changing IP addresses and redoing the port forward through a VPN can be a nightmare. Constant trial and error but mostly error. I don't know why this issue has not been brought up before but in the future it will have to be addressed. Because it is becoming increasingly more difficult to keep up without falling behind. Does anyone out there use a VPN without problems on the site?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-10-29, 06:40 AM
916.22 GB/588.06 GB/0.64

Re: FIREWALLED Using VPN Service ?

Hi
1. Check your port number you have chosen with your vpn provider, write that port number
down.
2. Forget about changing IP addresses and port forwarding.
3. Open your chosen program, type in the port number you wrote down

if your still firewalled pause whatever your trying to share, then restart them (closing the sharing program I have found also fixes this)
Old 2016-10-30, 01:41 PM
1.08 TB/721.68 GB/0.65

Thanks for your response but Yes my port number is assigned in Utorrent. Has been so from the start. It should work. Confusing thing is it's works on other sites but not this one. Restarting has no effect. If I'm connected to this site I'm firewalled. What should work simply doesn't for some unknown reason. Can't find a work around. Don't know if it's the VPN i use which may make a difference. (TorGuard) But I don't want to change VPN only to discover that the same problem exists. All the information on the firewalled subject is ten years old here and does not apply to me anymore. VPN's are an emerging technology and so are my problems with it. My VPN provider can't answer the questions i have. Which makes it even more difficult.
Old 2016-11-04, 07:58 PM
916.22 GB/588.06 GB/0.64

Hi
When you say assigned port number who assigned it?

Did you get the port number off your vpn providers personal support page relating to your account?

What operating system are you using, I have found the Windows firewall is a pain in the butt.

It has been said the client software's default port no eg 6881 etc is blocked by some ISP's

try

http://canyouseeme.org/ with your vpn in use

https://ipleak.net/

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

Have your tried another client? I use qbittorrent on Linux Mint and love it.

good luck
Old 2016-11-07, 07:08 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Livingstone View Post
How that times have changed and many of us have to use a VPN service in order to download anything without fear of criminal prosecution. In my country of origin it is illegal to download this material period. So I have no choice but to use a VPN service.
What country are you in?
Old 2016-11-07, 02:52 PM
1.08 TB/721.68 GB/0.65

OK, now I find out the truth. Everything I have done is correct. The problem is torguard had a massive DDOS attack on it's DNS servers and the attack is affecting some of our proxy and VPN hostnames at this time. My support page finally loaded correctly to display this info. So i'm just a beta tester for them until they get their system online. Maybe another two weeks before I can get back to normal. Thanks for the help people. But what I really want to know is what VPN service other people are using successfully on this site without being firewalled cause my VPN provider can't cut it anymore.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble