The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-16, 08:51 PM
30.98 GB/42.38 GB/1.37

Question Burning DVD Backups

I'm burning all my audio to DVD data discs and I'm wondering if I should check all the MD5's when I'm done burning them.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-16, 10:08 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Burning DVD Backups

I always do. So far I've never had any problem, but I like to make sure before I delete the original off the harddrive. I check all the md5s for my shns and I do a fingerprint check on all the flac files.

Old 2005-01-16, 10:38 PM
30.98 GB/42.38 GB/1.37

I'm doing a data verification after each disc (the burning program askes if I want to) and I'm keeping the files on my hard drive for now, so if its not strongly suggested I probably won't check each md5/fingerprint.
Old 2005-01-16, 10:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I do a data verification also. But really, how much extra time does it take to do some md5/fingerprint verifications? I set it up just as I go to lunch or to pick the kids up from school or anytime I'm going to be gone for about 10 minutes. That's all the time it takes to do it and then I feel good about deleting the stuff.

Old 2005-01-17, 07:32 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

If you have the time, always do a double check. Depending on what kind of "verification" you're using, it will actually be able to determine more errors than the md5 check will, so that would be the first line of defense. But when you're dealing with your collections, double-checking is never a bad thing.

By the way, on this topic, might I recommend that you also burn your DVD compilations with some par2 recovery files? I have had a few discs verify OK, then sit on a shelf for a year, only to have read errors on some file later on. Par2 files will ensure that you can recreate any files that potentially get corrupted over time.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-17, 08:56 AM
fistula
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

nice call with the par files and also def do an md5. a bad stick of ram can corrupt your files and you wont even know what happened
Old 2005-01-17, 11:20 AM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
By the way, on this topic, might I recommend that you also burn your DVD compilations with some par2 recovery files? I have had a few discs verify OK, then sit on a shelf for a year, only to have read errors on some file later on. Par2 files will ensure that you can recreate any files that potentially get corrupted over time.

Since I'm about to try to burn all of my collection onto DVD instead of CD, this is very relevant to me. How do I make a par2 file? How do they work? Thanks for the help.

-Phil
Old 2005-01-17, 11:32 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Basically, par is an algorithm designed to check and reconstruct files that have been partially or entirely corrupted. I am not sure how it works, but the algorithm itself is pretty advanced. What you can do with it, though, is create an archive of par2 files that will be able to rebuild any files that becomes missing or corrupted, even without knowing which file it is going to be ahead of time. I put together the files for a single DVD, trying to get as close to 3.7 GB as possible, and fill the remaining space on the disc with par2 files. That comes out to around 20% redundancy, so that 1/5 of the files on the disc can be come unreadable, and I will still be able to recreate everything that was there.

Par2 is basically just a more robust version of the par implementation, and has pretty much taken over; not many people are ignorant enough to use the old par style anymore.

QuickPar is the best program out there for par2 creation, and also acts as an md5 and sfv file verification checker.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/
What's never been,
Old 2005-01-17, 12:26 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Repeat after me:
Burn To The Brim
Burn To The Brim
Burn To The Brim

If you want to get the maximum bang for your buck with using up as much room as possible on a disc I'd recommend this program. It'll take whatever folders/files you have...and figure out the jigsaw puzzle of what needs to be burned to take the maximum amount of space up on your DVD. I just finished up doing the transfer of "thousands" of lossless CD's to DVD a couple months ago and it was invaluable to me for this, not to mention the time saved from me trying to do this myself (and I still use it). Usually as long as I had about 5-6 gigs worth of shows in a folder it would figure out the best way to rack and stack them....but most of the time while transferring I kept about 20-30 gigs available as a pool.
With a reference to the thread I put up about collection database programs...once I had all the DVD's burned (which took me about 3-4 months), it only took me about a day and a half to input all the DVD's into my database (using the program I use). I'm still sweeping up some of the rough parts to make it "prettier" but at least everything's there.

EDIT: WIth a note to RD's comment about getting as close to 3.7 gigs...Burn To The Brim will let you specify that amount too
Old 2005-01-17, 12:38 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

This sounds very useful! How can I learn how to do this?

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-01-17, 01:01 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
This sounds very useful! How can I learn how to do this?
Hey Five Guess you're talking about BttB? Doh! Guess it would help if I posted a link to it...

Burn To The Brim = http://bttb.sourceforge.net/

When you first install it there isn't a setting for DVD (or at least wasn't when I last downloaded). I forget where I found these settings (or maybe I came up with them...don't remember). Just click "Add" to create a new size setting. The "Allowed" waste size is how much wag you want to allow the program to come up with possible fits "as close to what you want"....meaning in my case 50 megs...this will at least let you see what you could burn that will be a bit outside of your parameters...then it's your choice to burn those or not. The program will then list these combos as 99% compliant with your settings.
Probably sounds a bit confusing from the way I'm describing it but it's actually very much a "set and forget" program. Usually only takes seconds to come up with combos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVD Setting.JPG
( 28.6 KB, 139 views)

Old 2005-01-17, 01:08 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Nice Katz....I'll check this one out. As it is now, I have no wasted space on my DVDs because I create an exact amount of par2 files to fit perfectly on the disc. But this would absolutely be helpful for quickly finding collections of folders to fit onto a disc....as it is now, I just have to try different combinations of folders in my "to burn" directory until I get a number I am happy with.

TTD really is a neverending source of good discussion and good ideas from experienced traders.
What's never been,
Old 2005-01-17, 01:38 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I've got to try this, thanks for the tips!

another question, have you guys ever actually used these par2 files to successfully save a corrupt data disc? how well did it work?

Quote:
Old 2005-01-17, 01:41 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Glad I could point you to something helpful

I agree, I wish that when I started different phases of my collection that I had had a resource to read through and go "wow, what a great idea!" I'm constantly coming across details like that where I still think...why, oh why didn't I think of that...or why didn't someone tell me years ago.
My most highlighted idiotic idea for my collecting habits? Using MM.DD.YY instead of YYYY.MM.DD. But it's too late for me to go back now until I retire and have time do do it by hand

Hey, what a great idea for a thread...what's the dumbest thing about your music collection?
I guess the second good idea for a thread would be what is the dumbest musical action/event you ever did to stay in good with someone you were dating?....me? I actually went to a Winger concert BLAH! I still feel unclean...

Oops, Five you got a reply in before I knew it.
I use par2 files all the time with stuff I download from the newsgroups. It's "the bomb" I've used it before to pull stuff from discs too. What kind of info do you need?
Old 2005-01-17, 01:52 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

haha I saw Winger opening for Kiss in 1991... really terrible! He had one of those helecopter-pilot-sammy-hagar-attaches-to-your-head mics and when he'd finish singing the delay fx would just keep swirling on and on. But I'd better stop before I give you flashbacks

I've got some homework to do regarding par2 files... I guess I'll ask more questions when I learn a little more. Thanks so much for getting me started!

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble