The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-12-07, 05:49 PM
1.03 TB/1.07 TB/1.03

Re: Vegas Wont' recognize my Vid/Cam

yeah um for reasons that Im sure I don't need to go into I probably shouldn't upgrade onnline. How about this WinDV freeware?? any good or should I just try upgrading and see what happens. Thanks for the help BTW
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-12-07, 06:05 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

never used winDV... you've gotta be able to find vegas somewhere I would think.
not literaly upgrading.
Old 2005-12-07, 06:09 PM
1.03 TB/1.07 TB/1.03

Yeah you're right that's the way to go. After I try the first set for this project with WinDV i will get a non-broken Vegas 6.0c. IT's gotta be a software issue since every other capture program, or utility is recognizing my cam. Thanks for the help
Old 2005-12-07, 06:11 PM
1.03 TB/1.07 TB/1.03

Thanks for the help man. Greatly appreciated
Old 2005-12-08, 09:23 PM
1.03 TB/1.07 TB/1.03

DVD authoring: ASPECT RATIO?!?!?!?

OK sorry everyone I got a few more questions here. First of all Aspect Ratio. Seems like there's an option to select aspect ratio at every step from shooting to burning the dvd. I have footage that I shot Widescreen want to author a DVD that is also widescreen. Between capturing, starting a project on vegas, rendering a project from vegas, opening rendered mpg on DVD architect and creating the DVD there are 5 instance when you select aspect ratio. AHHH what do I do? is there a tuturial somewhere?? Made several attempts and AR has been messed up both extremes (reverse letterbox and "too stretched") with so many options though I can't figure out which one Im making a mistake on. Somone else must have had this problem and has an easy answer for me.
Old 2005-12-08, 11:47 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Re: DVD authoring: ASPECT RATIO?!?!?!?

Re: 4:3 to widescreen question
Well, I just wrote out a detailed explanation but closed the browser before clicking 'post reply'.
Here's a brief explanation while it's on my mind...
1. File > Properties > Video tab >NTSC DV Widescreen
2. Right click the video file > properties > Media tab > 1.2121 Widescreen aspect ratio. Then look at the Video Event tab and look at the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio and make sure it is either checked or unchecked depending on the situation. (I think just from memory that you need to have it unchecked)
3. Right click the video preview and check the Simulate Device Aspect Ratio.
4. Crop the 4:3 Video to 16:9 by clicking on the Crop Icon on the video file (right side). Select the 16:9 preset from the dropdown menu.

Best option is to first film it in widescreen (16:9) then you just skip step 4.

If it is filmed in 4:3 and "cinema mode" is either not used or not even an option on your camera, then you will need to use 'pan and scan' to crop it to 16:9 to keep the desired portion of the video in the screen (and not cropped out)...

Note: If you're multicam mixing with Excalibur4.5 script (or free script DoubleTake), render each video first to 16:9 then add the video files to the Multicam mix. I tried doing the cropping after multi cam mixing, but it wouldn't let me. In other words, get all of the aspect ratios correct, then start the mixing (I guess that's only logical too).

Anyway, I hope that helps some...

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2005-12-09, 12:29 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Re: DVD authoring: ASPECT RATIO?!?!?!?

Since you filmed this in 16:9 it is very easy, just follow the steps 1-3 above. The stretching was caused by not (un)selecting the maintain aspect ratio button most likely (step 2). The letterboxing was caused by not doing step 1 most likely. Good luck and ask if you have other questions...

hint: rather than wait the 3 hrs or so it takes to render the whole video, just select a very small portion of the video for the loop region and render that just to test to see if the aspect ratio turns out OK for you first, if so, then render the whole thing....just a little time saver

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2005-12-17, 09:42 AM
314.17 GB/169.96 GB/0.54

Blending or adding audio to a DVD

I have a DVD of a DUO performance. The audio is what was captured by the cam during the recording. I also have a soundboard of the same show. How does one create a matrix of both audio tracks, and then add it back to the picture? Or, how can I replace the soundboard audio with the cam audio? Which program is capable of such feats???

Thanks a lot!! If all goes well, and I get some answers, I could create a 4-27-05 GA Theatre 52 minute FOAM 1st set Duo/Mike Gordon DVD with audience/sdbd mix!!!
Old 2005-12-17, 10:40 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Re: Blending or adding audio to a DVD

the cam audio isn't that great. what percentage would you put it into the mix?

there are a bunch of excellent DVD authors here. unidecker comes to mind immediately. contact him and he will probably be able to help you out.
Old 2005-12-17, 04:48 PM
314.17 GB/169.96 GB/0.54

I don't know about what %age I'd do for a mix. I just thought it might sound kinda cool. Mike's sound really cuts through on the DVD audio, even though its a little shotty. It really isn't that bad sounding, but the sndbd Phish.com released is great! But, Mike's sound is a little off in some places. For instance, right before he really lays down some super impressive lines, he turns to his amp to turn it up, and its apparent that's what he does when watching the video. He's instantly louder and he cuts through well. However, on the sdbd version, I listened for that part cuz his playing for that 30 or so seconds is some of the most impressive work I've ever heard him do on Foam or anything (just personal, since I too play the broom). The sound on the livephish recording doesn't get louder right there, it kinda gets quieter. So, for keeping with the "feel" of being at a live show and what that sounds like, but to have more clarity from the soundboard, a matrix of the two might be super cool!!! The question is how cool, and what mix? I'd have to experiment with the sound, I like to think I have a pretty good ear since I've been playing music for 10 years now (I'm 29) and have really been paying attention to a lot in that time.

Thanks man!! I'm looking for all and any advice, I'd love to be able to get this project going soon! More good vid and sound for everybody is good for me, I just want to share the goodness!
Old 2005-12-18, 09:34 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

any DVD authoring software will do this...on PCs you've got everything from TMPGEnc [less than $100] up to Sony DVD Architect or Adobe Encore [both are "pro-level" software]---for Mac, DVD studio Pro...

to do the matrix, you really need an audio editing program...and as for matrix percentages, i'd start at around 70-80% soundboard and then adjust to taste...i hope you are using a quality soundcard as well as studio-grade monitors &/or headphones--otherwise you really won't know what it truly sounds like...

also, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Duo & phish.com sndbd's are "hands off" in regards to using for boots...just a fwiw if you care about the artists' wishes
Old 2005-12-18, 12:38 PM
82.89 GB/68.70 GB/0.83

DVD lab Pro
Old 2005-12-18, 02:11 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
also, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Duo & phish.com sndbd's are "hands off" in regards to using for boots...just a fwiw if you care about the artists' wishes
This would definitely not be for BT or for trading. Personal use only with LP SBDs.
Old 2005-12-18, 07:39 PM
314.17 GB/169.96 GB/0.54

oh yah, damn, forgot about the licensing with Livephish recordings. Well, darnit all!! Might play around with it anyway, or, try to get the sound on the DVD better. Thanks for everyone's help, at least now I have an idea of what to get into.
Old 2005-12-26, 10:48 AM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

Looking for some TMPGENC help!!

have the program and alot of standalone dvd recordings that need new audio...but i am lost at getting tmpgenc to work...can anyone walk me through it or know where some directions are for the program...have fought it for a week now with no luck!...thanks to everyone.!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble