The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-03-06, 01:45 AM
Ritual
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Icon4 How To Do A List Database?

I am trying to make a list of my recordings for the first time. How should I do it? Which software should I use? I would like it to be available via the web, so I'm concerned about using Excel or something that people might not have installed in order to read the list. What a good way to go about making a list/database?

- Ritual
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-06, 05:26 AM
Love Struck Baby
139.79 GB/210.15 GB/1.50

Re: How To Do A List Database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritual
I am trying to make a list of my recordings for the first time. How should I do it? Which software should I use? I would like it to be available via the web, so I'm concerned about using Excel or something that people might not have installed in order to read the list. What a good way to go about making a list/database?

- Ritual
You might try db.etree.org and enter your shows there. You can export your list to Excel as backup from the website. Then you don't have to write and maintain a DB application.

If you do create a DB (say in MS Access), you can export from Access to Excel or to a text file with some of the reporting capabilities. The same is true for Excel--it has some reporting capabilities. The biggest difference is that you can normalize your data in a DB whereas in Excel, it's pretty much just a flat file.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-06, 05:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i use excel, works fine...you can always use the "save as web page" if you are worried about folks not being able to open an xls file [although there is great freeware out there for dealing with excel/database file ]
Old 2007-03-06, 01:50 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

.. this program has excellent reviews

http://www.codeaero.com/music-label/awards.htm

Quote:
Put a big stack in front of you and click Entries from the View Manager. Then click the CDDB FastScan button found at the top of the screen, select Default, and get ready to go assembly line. All pertinent information will be downloaded from the Net and stored as quickly as you can swap audio CDs out of your drive.

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2007-03-06 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-11, 12:29 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

WhereIsIt.
Excellent program. Will automatically import all your data in from the disc (or harddrive) after you burn it off (if there's an info file/artwork...it'll pull it into your database). Great searching/filtering capabilites. Allows importing of thumbnails of artwork. Exports to a ton of formats, including html so you have a web page ready built. Plug-ins allow it to import the details on your files (such as what framerate a DVD is in so you can easily see whether you have a NTSC or PAL copy of that favorite show).
Plus, I keep separate databases for different formats (audio/video, whether it's a live or commercial release)....so this means I can combine them quickly for searching if need be.

Here's an old link from way back when I ranted and raved about it before: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=2557

Also, as I mentioned in that old post, if you go to www.nonags.com, there are some freeware programs out there that will let you do a collection too. Look for "catalog." Haven't tried any myself but it's worth a shot for being free.

Here's a link to one of the DVD webpages I keep (BTW-sorry, but I'm really not currently looking to snail trade for personal workload reasons so please no requests....well, unless some special show was involved....or you're a beautiful girl who wants a new friend ....or you're Lynn, who "is" a beautiful girl with lots of special shows ). This page took me about....oh, I don't know....maybe two minutes to make??? Only thing I have to do every time I update it is pull it into Frontpage to make the frames white.
http://home.comcast.net/~musicavista/DVD.html
If I really wanted to be tidy I could clean up the comments from the info files that I've gotten with the shows, but I haven't felt up to it for awhile. I mainly use this for my own reference if I'm not at home.

Hope this (and my old post) helps you think of not only what you need NOW, but also for the future. One thing for me, if I would've used some common sense years back I would've DEFINATELY used a YYYY/MM/DD format, but it's too late for that now so I just live with what I've got until I win the lottery and have the time to redo from scratch.
Good luck-

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble