The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-12-21, 12:01 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

I'm sorry: Another thread about port forwarding on a Mac

Hey y'all.

I'm firewalled and I can't figure out why. It's a bit hard wading through all of the threads on this subject.

I'm running an intel imac and using Azureus. My ISP is comcast. Here are some screens, hopefully something will make sense to one of you.

Here is azureus' NAT test

Here is my system preferences network tab

This is my router's setup page. I don't remember why I have the DNS Proxy and DHCP enabled. I got the "DNS1 4.2.2.1" from the internet somewhere. Comcast wasn't very helpful with DNS or static ip (when I called them quite a while ago).

Lastly, my router's port range page

I'm pretty sure when I first got the mac I set everything up properly, but I could be wrong. I noticed I was firewalled a few months ago but I haven't had the time to try and figure it all out. I saw a thread with instructions about forwarding ports through airport but when I get to the airport base station (or whatever it is) I cannot configure it. Here's what that looks like.

Hopefully someone can make sense of all of this. When there is a good swarm I can usually connect and download but sometimes there can be hundreds of peers and I won't upload a thing.

Thanks for any help.
Old 2006-12-21, 12:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: I'm sorry: Another thread about port forwarding on a Mac

Well, I don't use a base station (I'm not wireless), but everything you wrote looks like it should be fine..... except at the end where you show the image of your base station. I found this page on portforward.com and it looks different from yours: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTorrent.htm

Something else to check is System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall and make sure it is off or you have entered the same port in there.

edit to add: This looked useful, but you already are setup, so I'm not sure how useful it would be: http://www.mac-connect.com/wire_step.php

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-12-21, 12:45 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Well, I don't use a base station (I'm not wireless), but everything you wrote looks like it should be fine..... except at the end where you show the image of your base station. I found this page on portforward.com and it looks different from yours: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTorrent.htm

Something else to check is System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall and make sure it is off or you have entered the same port in there.

edit to add: This looked useful, but you already are setup, so I'm not sure how useful it would be: http://www.mac-connect.com/wire_step.php
I'm not wireless either. Maybe that's why I have no base station. My firewall is off, but I did add Azureus to it (sometime ago) just in case.

Old 2006-12-21, 12:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece
I'm not wireless either. Maybe that's why I have no base station. My firewall is off, but I did add Azureus to it (sometime ago) just in case.
I guess I need more coffee. I read all of your thread and then saw 'base station' and figured that was what you were using.

What type of router is it that you have? And, what type of modem? Everything you show looks so right to me.

Have you tried restarting your modem or router lately?

Old 2006-12-21, 04:22 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I guess I need more coffee. I read all of your thread and then saw 'base station' and figured that was what you were using.

What type of router is it that you have? And, what type of modem? Everything you show looks so right to me.

Have you tried restarting your modem or router lately?
My router is the Lynksys rtp300 which I started using for VOIP (vonage), my modem is a motorola. Reset? Is that unplugging them, waiting for a minute or so, and then plugging them in again? If so, no I haven't done that in a while. I'll try it now.
Old 2006-12-21, 04:39 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Okay, tried resetting (I think) and there's no change. I went to canyouseeme.org and tested various ports. Port 10000 wasn't blocked so I changed azureus and the router. Still no change. When forwarding ports for the router do I have to go through portforward.com each time?
Old 2006-12-21, 06:11 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, that was what I meant by restarting. I suddenly showed up firewalled about a month ago and nothing I did would change it until I finally restarted the modem.

OK, take a look at this from another vonage user that with a motorola modem: http://www.tuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239

Quote:
Azureus works but it is slow. It is a case of NAT error and DHT firewalled caused by the installation of a Vonage phone adapter. Here is what I did to fix it.

RTFM. In this case I had to find the manual [user guide] for my Vonage phone adapter.
In the "Welcome to Vonage" e-mail select the 'step by step installation guide' and download the user guide for your phone adapter. In my case it's Motorola VT2442. The user guide will explain how to access your adapter. In my case 'http://xxx.xxx.xx.x' in a browser. On the Advanced tab I selected UPnP: enable. On the port forwarding tab I selected 'Allow Incoming Ping'. Problem solved at least in FC5.
Not sure if that is your model number, but you might want to see if there is a way to access your modem. Perhaps they gave you one that also acts as a firewall.

Old 2006-12-21, 10:45 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Okay, I have a motorola modem, lynksys router. I found a tab in my router that allowed me to disable the NAT and firewall so I did. Then I couldn't connect to any site. So I enabled it again. I did find the UPnP which was disabled, so I enabled it. I no longer see "firewalled" at the top of the screen and my port number is no longer red. Azureus says "NAT OK"

Thank you so much Lynne. I truly appreciate your time and effort.
Old 2006-12-21, 10:49 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece
I no longer see "firewalled" at the top of the screen and my port number is no longer red. Azureus says "NAT OK"

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble