The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-06, 09:34 AM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

Question Port forwarding / firewall

I recently figured out how to forward my ports using portforward.com. Worked great very easy to understand. SO I was downloading the 11-29 phish show. Sometimes my PC has driver crashes when the leachers all finish at the same time and become seeders. This speeds up my D/L so much the driver crashes. Not a big deal this has happened in the past. So I reboot and start my torrent up again. but now I am no longer showing black firewall indicator in the tracker(ex. 151.168.1.6881). I have gone back to my router portal and selected the new service that I created for bit torrent. I even deleted it and created another one in the same way as origanally. But for whatever reason this doesn't work any more. Its there....I click enable....but the tracker shows my red indicator in ip address. I use windows xp, along with bit torrent 4.0. The router is a westell verslink. How can I get this to be enabled again. I have turned the router on/off etc. It seems like it works after I go through the process. But when I go to check....nada! Help!!!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-06, 09:44 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Port forwarding / firewall

When you set up your portforward to your computer, did you give yourself a static IP (ie. 192.169.1.xxx)? Open up your terminal and do an ipconfig. It will give you your local IP. Then, open up your router and make sure the ports are forwarded for that same IP, not a different one.

Have you verified again that your XP firewall is off?

Old 2006-02-06, 10:06 AM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

Oh hi..My firewall is still off. When I go through the steps to enable my port forwarding I click enable on my forwarding service and then it prompts to a host device or ip address screen. I have tried both selecting my computer, and inputting my static ip. It relaods and seems to have worked. but then I check and still nothing. Is there another way to check to see if they are forwarded to the same ip. might be hard for you to say if you can't see my router page? Would DNS have anythimg to do with this??? I get a different DNS when I check ipconfig /all compared to when I open my router and check the connection summary. The ipconfig shows my DNS as the same as the default gateway. I had it set up this way when it was working so I am not sure if this would change anything. Also, my handle no longer shows in the tracker screen. but I am logged on.
Old 2006-02-06, 10:15 AM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

static NAT is enabled for my pc user name. which is the same name selected above in the "then it prompts to a host device or ip address screen" step.......
Old 2006-02-06, 10:22 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Your Default Gateway should be a number like "192.168.1.1". It is the IP addy of your router - the same one you put into your browser so you can change the settings. This should NOT be the same as your DNS entries. Your DNS entries point to servers out there on the net that make sure when you put thetradersden.org into your browser that you end up here and not at dimeadozen.org. They are very different things/numbers. And, if you are logged onto this site from the same site that you are bittorrenting, then you should show up in the Peers List as you, not just an IP addy. I have a feeling there is something input incorrectly on your PC right now (and thus the problems you are having).

Old 2006-02-06, 11:08 AM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

Ok...so I fixed the DNS entries to match those of the router connection summary. Still I am not showing my handle name, but also the ip address is wrong on the tracker and shows now U/L, D/L movement although I am U/l at 30 and D/L at 100. Any ideas as to why this is not working for me. It has always been fine in the past. ahhhh WTF!
Old 2006-02-06, 11:25 AM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

Duh....I forgot to change the settings in my torrent program.
Old 2006-02-06, 11:58 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I see you now on a couple of torrents, but your ports (6881) are still red, so something is still off. Have you tried bypassing the router and seeing if you are not firewalled that way?

Old 2006-02-06, 12:05 PM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

I am not sure how to bypass the router any help would be super cool . I have gone through the portforwarding steps again and as you see I am still firewalled.... man this was all working out for me so well before
Old 2006-02-06, 12:35 PM
blah? blahblah..
46.35 GB/14.07 GB/0.30

I've tried everything, it must be this bloody 2-way satellite
Old 2006-02-06, 04:39 PM
264.83 GB/288.21 GB/1.09

U2Lynne:
Thanks for your help! For whatever reason it seems to be working now and I have not changed a thing from this afternoon
Old 2006-02-06, 05:43 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Um, well, hmmmm That's Good! Now, Don't Touch a Thing!

Old 2006-02-06, 07:34 PM
blah? blahblah..
46.35 GB/14.07 GB/0.30

ya think you could give me a hand next please
Old 2006-02-06, 10:21 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Of course. Do you have a thread started for your case or do you just want to post in here? What OS? What router? Do you have any anti-virus software installed? What bt client? Just give all the info you can think of and we can get you out of the red too.

Old 2006-02-06, 10:27 PM
blah? blahblah..
46.35 GB/14.07 GB/0.30

No I don't have a thread started, I highjacked this one

OS = XP
Router = D-link 524
Anti-Virus = Avg
Client = BitTornado 0.3.7
Connection = http://www.telesat.com/

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble