The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-08-17, 09:46 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Question Single File D/L

I would like to d/l a single file from a torrent and am using uTorrent (latest rev). I clik the torrent and the client opens a dialog containing all the torrent info with check boxes. I uncheck everything but the one song I'm after and OK the form. The downloading begins. However the client does not stop the d/l process after the song is downloaded, it continues, but nothing is being added to the folder. I stop the d/l. I've done this on several different torrents. I use Winamp to play the songs. Some play for a little while, some not at all. I get an "Error while processing metadata ... yada, yada" in all cases.

Am I doing something wrong? And why does the d/l not stop once the files I checked are d/l'd?

thnx!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-08-17, 10:29 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Single File D/L

When you hop on a torrent, it always downloads 'chunks' of data. Usually a song is made up of several chunks of data. Very often though, a chunk will span two songs, thus when you only want one song, it will have to download a little bit of the end of another song and a little bit of the beginning of another song. However, that should not take a long time since these chunks are usually pretty small. This is just general information about how a song is downloaded though and not specific to uTorrent. I can't comment on the specifics of uTorrent because I don't use it, I use Azureus.

Old 2008-08-17, 10:53 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

strange. it should download just that file & the file should be complete (I've done this on occasion as well)
I tried searching the net with 'your error' - kinda came up empty. what is the exact error wording.
also, click the LOG tab (while downloading) - see if IP's are sending hashcheck fail packets. Its probably just the source/seeders.
Old 2008-08-17, 11:34 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Thnx 4 the replies. I think my problem is stopping the d/l. I noticed that my client lists the full torrent size but that the time remaining for completion is significantly less than I would normally expect if I were d/l'ing the entire torrent or, to put it another way, what I would expect the d/l time to be for the size of the single file. I suspect that the client is doing a type of 'virtual space allocation', whickh led me to think the entire file had downloaded because of the file size being reported (which is why I would stop the d/l).I will let it finish normally and see what happens. So, as our Governator would say ..."I'll be Back".
Old 2008-08-18, 12:25 AM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Files play fine now, just needed to let the client finish. Thnx all.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble