The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-15, 02:44 PM
39.76 GB/44.21 GB/1.11

Re: PAL to NTSC...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
err.... the TV needs to see an NTSC signal. If the DVD player does a PAL>NTSC conversion, then fine.

On the conversion issue. PAL is a higher resolution standard than NTSC. Simply based on specs, you will lose quality on the downconversion, but unless the source was shot in dual formats you don't have a choice.
pal uses 25fps while video uses 30 or 29.97 fps correct? converting to ntsc would involve duplicating some frames
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-15, 03:56 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: PAL to NTSC...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbabeui
pal uses 25fps while video uses 30 or 29.97 fps correct? converting to ntsc would involve duplicating some frames
correct on the frame rates (PAL = 25 fps and NTSC = 29.97 fps).

with decent software, it doesn't just "duplicate" frames, but tries to decipher the "in between" stages of the objects between two frames... so it's not technically a straight forward "duplication" of frames. (you won't see 2 identical frames in a row as a result, in other words.)
Old 2005-03-25, 10:18 AM
349.07 GB/325.64 GB/0.93

Converting PAL to NTSC,,,help please.

I recently downloaded a Paul McCartney DVD in PAL format. I have no idea what the PAL stuff is all about. From short research I've found that standard normal DVD's are in NTSC format. How do I go about converting a PAL show to a DVD that I can watch?
Old 2005-03-25, 10:25 AM
345.52 GB/460.50 GB/1.33

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC,,,help please.

it's not easy. You're best bet is to buy a dvd player for 40-50 bucks that will play PAL. Most cheaper ones will (apex/cyberhome). Check out dvdrhelp.com for a list.
Old 2005-03-25, 10:48 AM
349.07 GB/325.64 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherman
it's not easy. You're best bet is to buy a dvd player for 40-50 bucks that will play PAL. Most cheaper ones will (apex/cyberhome). Check out dvdrhelp.com for a list.

Thanks man.
Old 2005-03-25, 05:16 PM
VH NEW ORLEANS 7/13/78
118.51 GB/224.41 GB/1.89

That doesn't help that much, because the image is still going to be out of whack on the TV, namely stretched and in black and white. You have to get a PAL-compatible TV which I don't even know that you can get in a US department store...I guess you'd have to buy one online. If you don't get a PAL TV, then the only way you can watch it without problems is on the computer, which doesn't care at all about PAL.
Old 2005-03-25, 05:19 PM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
That doesn't help that much, because the image is still going to be out of whack on the TV, namely stretched and in black and white. You have to get a PAL-compatible TV which I don't even know that you can get in a US department store...I guess you'd have to buy one online. If you don't get a PAL TV, then the only way you can watch it without problems is on the computer, which doesn't care at all about PAL.
not true, new most dvd players now have a PAL/NTSC button so you can watch PAL discs on NTSC tv's. I have one so i speak from personal experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Old 2005-03-28, 10:03 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Make note of our FAQ entry on PAL>NTSC conversions:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...eo#faq_ntscpal

Note that doing this makes reseeding DVDs on TTD illegal, and is a bad practice in general as it dilutes the quality of the DVD. Cheap DVD players that will not only play but convert to the appropriate signal on the fly are readily available, and make it easy to view DVDs of either format. Also, your computer will play both formats fine.

If you do decide to make a conversion for personal use, please do not trade it...always trade or seed the original so that everyone gets the highest quality material.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-03-30, 03:48 AM
41.62 GB/27.78 GB/0.67

Raindog ...
All is not yet lost.
Most, if not all, recent (ie manufactured within the last 10 years) Sony televisions will take either PAL or NTSC inputs. It may not help you transcode but at least you'll be able to watch your PAL DVD in colour.

I do the same for the reverse ie watch NTSC (Region 1) DVD on the Sony TV.

Sony may do some dumb things to their HiMD & MD but at least they got it right for television!

Cheers from over the Big Pond
Old 2005-03-30, 08:36 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Agreed...Sony's Trinitron TVs are really great. I am a bit dissapointed in the DVD-A/SACD player I got in that it doesn't play PAL DVDs, though it does play PAL VCDs and SVCDs.

Of course, I recently got rid of my TV completely and replaced it by putting a new 21" monitor controlled by my dual-output graphics card, and as such it's NTSC/PAL compliant . Just another idea for people looking to get compatibilities for both standards.
What's never been,
Old 2005-04-01, 10:02 AM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

This is not going to be acceptable to do and reseed here, and it may strike some on this site as heresy, but you can use a program called IFOEdit to sort of trick your DVD player into playing PAL DVDs, and it is VERY, VERY easy to do.

Using IFOEdit, open .IFO files. The program will have two windows of information. In the bottom window there will be lots of lines of text. Look for the lines (there will be 1 or 2 depending upon which IFO file you are looking at) of text containing the word "PAL." Double click those lines. A dialog box will open. There is a button to select PAL or NTSC. Select NTSC. Save the file. It will ask if you want to change the .BUP files as well. Answer "Yes." You're done. Burn away.

This is not a true conversion (PAL to NTSC) but changing the info files like this will trick many DVD players into believing this is an NTSC recording. I have heard it will not work on all DVD players but it works great on mine. No problems whatsoever. It does nothing to alter the actual video files, so there is no deterioration of the quality (as I understand it).

IFOEdit is free, and available here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ls/ifoedit.cfm.

Rob
Old 2005-04-01, 10:34 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Actually, this does not strike me as heresy or even bad for trading. It is a very good idea that I've recommended to people in the past, if their DVD player is capable of playing it. It does not alter the video at all, and thus is what I would call a "lossless" conversion. But what it does is allow you to circumvent the restrictions the movie industry cartel has placed upon us.

Most major manufacturers indeed do not make different hardware for their players that ship to different parts of the world. But for movie producers to maintain artificially high prices on DVDs, they put limits on what types of discs certain players will accpept, even though they are perfectly capable of playing them back. An easy fix is to just tell the DVD player that it's been given an NTSC disc, even if it's not true, and the player will know what to do with it anyway.

It doesn't always work, but if it does, I say go for it.
What's never been,
Old 2005-04-28, 11:55 AM
79.75 GB/147.31 GB/1.85

PAL to NTSC

I just got a few PAL DVD's that play in my computer but not my player and was wondering how easy, or difficult, it is to convert them. Does anyone know if NERO can convert them? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike
Old 2005-04-28, 12:31 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: PAL to NTSC

It isn't that easy. You can go to videohelp.com and read up on it. I always just tell people to buy a cheap Apex player. They play just about anything.

Old 2005-04-28, 12:57 PM
79.75 GB/147.31 GB/1.85

Re: PAL to NTSC

That's kinda what I figured, buying a new player is plan B. Thanks

Mike

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble