The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2017-02-20, 08:24 PM
846.86 GB/643.85 GB/0.76

Suggestions for a new A/V computer

In all honesty, I posted this verbatim at Yeeshkul. Figured I'd try here as well to get a good rounded opinion.

After a 10-year hiatus, I've decided I'd like to start tinkering with A/V stuff again. Converting old tapes (VHS and cassette), editing stuff I've shot on my phone, etc...

What are people using nowadays? Back when I was doing this, I invested in an external shielded soundcard because the internal ones were introducing a lot of noise from the motherboard. Is this still a concern? I was looking at the Alienware Aurora as a base (figuring it's built for graphics) and then investing in a good soundcard, but I don't even know where to start.

Suggestions? I'd like to get good results, but I also don't want to spend a fortune. Especially curious about the hardware that }{eywood/JEMS/RonToon/etc.. uses.
"When I first started seeing Slayer live, all you ever smelled was body odor and angel dust, as it should be. But now the kids and their vaporizors make the place smell like some kind of fruity apocalypse." ~ Spitback
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2017-02-20, 09:37 PM
87.70 GB/175.64 GB/2.00

Re: Suggestions for a new A/V computer

Processing power will be crucial if you are working with video, as well as system memory (RAM, not hard drive memory). If you can handle spending around or just under the $1000 mark, you can make a custom build that will hold up over time. Whatever you select for a video card should be able to handle 4K video. While it isn't prevalent now, eventually it will overtake 1080p, and you'll want to be able to handle that. I've had ATI video cards and always thought they did well. As for audio, I would stay away from Soundblaster. I can't remember the specifics on it, but I remember discussion that it may compromise the quality of your audio. A card with digital input, and fiber optic input, and your standard 1/8" jacks would give you plenty of transfer options. I have a HTI sound card, and have been very pleased with it.

If you custom build, you might consider a board that will support firewire, in the event you need to transfer miniDV, or if you use something like a Canopus A/D converter for VHS. It's old technology, and isn't on that many boards anymore, but you never know when you'll need it. USB 3.0 would also be something you want to have. Transferring those large files to an external drive goes a lot faster on 3.0. Another part to consider is the power supply. Make sure you have enough power to run the CPU, audio and video cards, hard drives, and anything else that may consume the unit's power. Needing 800W of power with a 600W supply will cause something to fail.

I hope that helps you out some. Good luck!
Old 2017-02-24, 08:42 PM
1.31 TB/7.89 TB/6.03

Make sure it's Win7 if you can choose OS. Or the equivalent in a Mac format . . .
Old 2017-02-25, 07:41 AM
87.70 GB/175.64 GB/2.00

Why stick with an OS that is no longer receiving support or updates? Some newer hardware won't even support Windows 7.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble