The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-07, 01:36 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycelynn View Post
As I am new to this site and do NOT have bad intentions I would love to have Pearl Jam video for my collection. If someone would be kind enough to explain how this works so there is no misunderstandings I would love to share Pearl Jam I am new to torrent files but am eager to learn the rules and how to's.
You might want to start here - BitTorrent Help

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-09-07, 09:01 PM
Zymocenosilicaphobic
29.67 GB/98.85 GB/3.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycelynn View Post
As I am new to this site and do NOT have bad intentions I would love to have Pearl Jam video for my collection. If someone would be kind enough to explain how this works so there is no misunderstandings I would love to share Pearl Jam I am new to torrent files but am eager to learn the rules and how to's.

After the help section be sure to stop in the lounge and start a "Hello.. I'm new here" thread.

------------------------------------
The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.
------------------------------------
Old 2010-03-07, 08:41 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Why is ratio so important?

I was in another thread, and read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn View Post
If your ratio sucked, I wouldn't do it.
I can understand the fundamental reasons for the ratio, as it makes you part of the community instead of just a leech. But sometimes having a high ratio doesn't mean anything other than "I like (and download) the same things everybody else does".

I don't download many things, but when I do, it's often something unique or unusual -- and apparently unpopular. For example: silent films, uncommon Linux ISOs, custom artwork. There have been times that I've left something up for more than a month to seed, and not one person downloaded from it! Also throw in the fact that my ISP upload speed sucks, so even when somebody wants something, it isn't very fast.

So sometimes a low ratio isn't for a lack of trying!

Was just wondering what the prevailing thought is around here.
Old 2010-03-07, 10:18 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

the first time I can recall ratio enforcement was at the early FTP trading sites.
with FTP upstream bandwidth being a fixed amount at the server level -- admin/owners felt they were 'being used'.
the early FTP ratio restrictions were something like 1 upload for every 10 downloads.
The idea was to force each user 'to share back' into the trading pool (pot luck results for sure).
then again, people who couldnt share back could not download which left more FTP bandwidth for others + 'better seeders'.
those who donated had restrictions removed/privileges --some things never change.

today the whole badge of honor / scumbag leech ratio thing is more an online social phenomenon than a core functional component.

Old 2010-03-08, 08:19 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

people with shitty ratios should be beaten...repeatedly

nah, but i certainly ain't gonna re-open a torrent for someone who's gotta a really shitty ratio...and excessive leechers i just block in my bt client

it doesn't hurt to keep a torrent running, so why the need to close it within a day or ______ ...& slow ISP u/l speeds is typically a fake excuse imo -- when you ask what their u/ cap is they won't say...hell, mine's limited to ~40k/s which most would say is really bad given todays bandwidth averages...& i have no problem u/ling my fair share
Old 2010-03-08, 09:48 AM
338.18 GB/612.39 GB/1.81

You can use the "ipfilter" feature in uPromise to ban folks. I look at it from a different point of view. Leechers often help distribute torrents. They share the load (except those with no upload speed).

I think it would be beneficial to have a function within this site where a user could specify if a leecher below a certain number can DL their torrent file. That would put those who hate disproportionate leechers in the driver's seat over who they will or will not allow to DL their file.

I'm not for a global site policy. Some seeders just don't care, they just want to share the muse.
Old 2010-03-09, 08:12 PM
pretty when I'm drunk
670.72 GB/635.78 GB/0.95

Location: between my owners legs, and someone else's too, USA

I apologize for my ratio, in advance.

THAT said, when I get a cpu, watch-the-FUCK-out.

ESPECIALLY in the winter.

the Alaskan vault has some tasty treats!
Old 2010-03-09, 09:01 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

I still think we should ban thoughtless seeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-03-09, 10:27 PM
55.75 GB/41.34 GB/0.74

well my ratio ain't so good - just a few DVD things blew it down - but still

Many ISPs throttle upload speeds to prevent you running a server - it might be that some people can download a torrent in an hour but would need to seed for a LOT longer - if there are enough other leechers - to get to 1-1 just because of their ISP. Comcast is notorious for that.

not much you can do about it if you can't just get another ISP - some areas you have only one choice.

Look at leechers as the people helping YOU keep YOUR ratio up and quit worrying about "thoughtless" or whatever.

thanks to mdshrk1 for being a very generous sharer
Old 2010-03-10, 07:11 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissah View Post

not much you can do about it if you can't just get another ISP - some areas you have only one choice.
you can leave the torrent open for long enough to u/l a decent amount back...there are torrent sites where i've had to leave a torrent running for 3 mnths in order to u/l back, others can do the same

and there are other ways to make up for not u/ling -- offer the show as a vine or B&P for those who can't torrent...many ways to give back, IF YOU WANT TO
Old 2010-03-10, 07:24 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

You can also make a good ratio by downloading shows from blogs that offer bootlegs on rapidshare, megaupload, hotfile, etc. then put them on share on the tracker.
Old 2010-03-10, 11:21 AM
55.75 GB/41.34 GB/0.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
You can also make a good ratio by downloading shows from blogs that offer bootlegs on rapidshare, megaupload, hotfile, etc. then put them on share on the tracker.
Those are almost always mp3s

Leaving a torrent gpoing for three months just to get to 1-1 is ridiculous

but do it IF YOU WANT TO
Old 2010-03-10, 01:41 PM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Not really. If you search well you'll find a few lossless blogs & forums with uploads on servers.

Take for example queenzone.com, not exactly a blog, not exactly the best site ever when it comes to design, but they have good sharers. Download a boot from there and upload it here. They have there torrents and uploads to servers like mediafire, megaupload, rapidshare etc. All you need to do is say thank you.
Old 2010-03-10, 02:09 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
Not really. If you search well you'll find a few lossless blogs & forums with uploads on servers.

Take for example queenzone.com, not exactly a blog, not exactly the best site ever when it comes to design, but they have good sharers. Download a boot from there and upload it here. They have there torrents and uploads to servers like mediafire, megaupload, rapidshare etc. All you need to do is say thank you.
a few years ago some one from that site was in here bitching how everything is mp3 based there and no one gave a shit when he complained about it
Old 2010-03-10, 02:11 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

yeah well it is just Queen
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers