The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-05-20, 10:14 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Re: Is there an explicit ratio policy here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
I'm very sorry you feel this way...I meant no harm, but obviously offense has been taken...I meant the U2Lynne comment in good fun...she's a great person (from what i know of her online) and she is right that I shouldn't get my knickers twisted...I was just acknowledging that, but I guess it wasn't taken right...sorry

I'm not entirely sure which bullshit you thought I was feeding you, but I'm sorry you feel the way you do...I simply feel that people who are intentionally hateful to other people aren't kind people, and there seems to be a lot of that, and I guess I fell into a little of it myself (for which I am sorry) and I guess I don't expect people to "respect" my thoughts as much as just understand how I feel about things, regardless if it's right or wrong...I am very open to the idea of being wrong and being corrected, but that can't happen unless I am honest about how I feel and get honest feedback (which is proving hard to do around here, and I too may not have been as constructive as I should be...unfortunately, and I'm sorry)

as far as a screename goes I think phish blowz and thought I'd share that with people...I really didn't know anyone online and didn't really give it a whole lotta thought, just thought it was cute, and ran with it...lots of folks think it's great, and there are a lot of folks who don't like phish who had to pm me with their approval (and dismay that they didn't think of it first) but I guess some may find it rude...but we are allowed to like and dislike whatever band we choose, and advertise the fact if we want to, but that shouldn't mean that I am attempting to offend their fans as well...my opinion of the band has nothing to do with my opinion of the fans...I love the Dead but that doesn't mean there weren't a fair share of assholes n the crowd...I'm sure many phish fans are good people...I've always enjoyed your efforts here, and try to be kind and post nice things and such on the torrents, and I am a little surprised that you would take me that way, so I must have come off rather poorly...for that I apologize once again

I think now that I have discussed the issue at length and received lots of helpful feedback on the matter, I have come to this...originally I felt that a ratio enforcement would ban many of the people that abuse the site, but then I realized (through constructive feedback) that it would ban good people too, and then I figured we could adjust the ratio to reflect the other efforts of sharing (bnp and vines, etc.) but it was pointed out that it would be a statistical nightmare for admin so I abandoned that idea...then I said we should ban people who are intentionally hateful and obnoxious, but it has become apparent that I, while trying to be a decent person, have come across as the same type of asshole I complain about (I feel pretty bad about that BTW) so I think we are left with only one solution...submission to the status quo...but I am left with just one question...

can't we all just get along

sorry I offended some folks...some I intended to offend and some took offense who I didn't intend to, but hopefully all this can be put behind us...I haven't got much else to add on the thread topic, because truly there is no answer but to leave it alone, or just shut the whole friggin thing down...there is no reasonable grey area on this one...so I will leave it alone...hopefully I will be forgiven for being a bit aggressive...I let it get to me, and I am working hard to let it go, and be a better person...and to reiterate...phish DOES blow, but they have some cool fans...please don't be offended by that, but I am known as who I am and to change that now would be a real pain in the ass...in retrospect I wish I had picked something cooler, but it's my name, and I live with it...I hope you can too...I love this place (I think we all do for watever our reasons are) so we all have something in common...hopefully we can build on that and not harbor resentment against each other...peace and love people (sorry I let hate and contempt seep in)

Respectfully,
Will
Dude ~

Nice post. But... aren't you overdoing the apology thing a bit? I mean... you say you're sorry ~ and usually that should suffice. If you really did something bad... sure it's OK to apologize a second time later in the post. But for crying out loud... you must have apologized six or seven times (I didn't bother counting... maybe even more).

Cheers,

Randy
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-21, 12:29 AM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.56 TB/7.81

Quote:
I'm very sorry you feel this way...I meant no harm, but obviously offense has been taken...I meant the U2Lynne comment in good fun...she's a great person (from what i know of her online) and she is right that I shouldn't get my knickers twisted...I was just acknowledging that, but I guess it wasn't taken right...sorry

I'm not entirely sure which bullshit you thought I was feeding you, but I'm sorry you feel the way you do...I simply feel that people who are intentionally hateful to other people aren't kind people, and there seems to be a lot of that, and I guess I fell into a little of it myself (for which I am sorry) and I guess I don't expect people to "respect" my thoughts as much as just understand how I feel about things, regardless if it's right or wrong...I am very open to the idea of being wrong and being corrected, but that can't happen unless I am honest about how I feel and get honest feedback (which is proving hard to do around here, and I too may not have been as constructive as I should be...unfortunately, and I'm sorry)
Phishblowz you are a good man and a good trader, a good sharer and an asset to whatever site you frequent. TTD is lucky that you are here. Fuck the trolls, they infest this site. You do not have anything to be sorry for.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia
Old 2007-05-21, 09:00 AM
Rebel, Rogue & Sworn Brother
55.25 GB/234.70 GB/4.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
Except that phish does blow.
I thought it was mostly just Trey who did all the blow???

Old 2007-05-21, 06:12 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
I thought it was mostly just Trey who did all the blow???

friggin hilarious

and I know I need not apologize, and I know I can stand on my merits as a trader and all around good guy, but when I realized that some people I respected thought I was being a dick, that I had crossed a line that really kinda bothered me personally...I apologize more to myself for being caught up in this (I should be more mature than that) and so I say what I said...it was more for me than anyone and it made me feel better...also seemed to quell the rising storm too

thanx for bearing with me...being a top notch uploader doesn't give me the right to be an asshole, but it hopefully makes it easier to forgive me

looks like the cable company cut my upload in half but didn't reduce the bill any so sharing is now more of a bitch, but I'll offer somethin up before too long...been awhile since I shared something...I'm afraid I might get rusty
Old 2007-05-21, 06:18 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Stallion DVDs
Dude ~

Nice post. But... aren't you overdoing the apology thing a bit? I mean... you say you're sorry ~ and usually that should suffice. If you really did something bad... sure it's OK to apologize a second time later in the post. But for crying out loud... you must have apologized six or seven times (I didn't bother counting... maybe even more).

Cheers,

Randy
now that you mention it, maybe it was a bit excessive...damn!!! I didn't realize I was quite so apologetic, but I meant it and so I stand by it...I feel a debt to the community and all those who made my collecton what it is...it angers me that I feel so obligated to give back while so many couldn't care less, but this is my cross to bear, and I am still happy to share..."letting the bastards grind me down" would be my own fault for allowing it...and so with that I move on to more productive things...take care friends
Old 2007-05-21, 07:16 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
Phishblowz you are a good man and a good trader, a good sharer and an asset to whatever site you frequent. TTD is lucky that you are here. Fuck the trolls, they infest this site. You do not have anything to be sorry for.
Nice guy = Person i agree with

Troll = person who has a different opinion than mine and keeps making me post.
Old 2007-05-21, 07:21 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I was on a torrent for a couple days on Demonoid and ppl kept jumping off after they reached a hundred% leaving me to stay on. I just figured the ppl who get stuck will learn a lesson if it's something they want bad enough and help others next time. I did end up coming back and seeding but i only did it for a couple hours a day.

with that said i have never been stuck and not got what i wanted using bittorrent.
Old 2007-05-21, 07:34 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
it angers me that I feel so obligated to give back while so many couldn't care less, but this is my cross to bear, and I am still happy to share..."letting the bastards grind me down" would be my own fault for allowing it...and so with that I move on to more productive things...take care friends
Wow i think you just figured out my secret.
Old 2007-05-21, 07:52 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Dave
I was on a torrent for a couple days on Demonoid and ppl kept jumping off after they reached a hundred% leaving me to stay on. I just figured the ppl who get stuck will learn a lesson if it's something they want bad enough and help others next time. I did end up coming back and seeding but i only did it for a couple hours a day.

with that said i have never been stuck and not got what i wanted using bittorrent.
bear in mind that, although I am not disagreeing with you, you are punishing the leechers for the actions of the completes...that's not really fair, but then again, that IS what we're talkin about...what's fair and what's not...but demonoid is terrible for hit and runners, moreso than any other place I ever seen...good man helpin out...better to punish them with torturously slow speed or sporadic seed help rather than screw em outright

and BTW...FU for not sharin your secrets sir...I wrestled with this for quite some time, and you had the answer I was lookin for all along...where the hell were you???

oh well, at least I know now...better late than never...now if you'll excuse me, I hear the short bus honkin
Old 2007-05-21, 08:04 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
bear in mind that, although I am not disagreeing with you, you are punishing the leechers
I'm not punishing anyone. I could care less if ppl leave.
I just wondered how the ppl who leave early would feel if they got stuck themselves. Lets get this straight i have no intention to punish anyone.
Old 2007-05-21, 11:24 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Dave
I took that to mean that you decided to dump the torrent in frustration in response to the hit and runners, which would be punishing the leechers that didn't have a chance to show if they would dump it or not...if I misunderstood, then my mistake...but if you said what I thought you said (or how I interpreted it) then that would be punishing (or "teaching a lesson") to the wrong folks...but regardless of that, on the bigger picture of things, you're right, so many folks take it for granted that these torrents are just there...like magic...and they figure that their insignificant little upload speeds can't make a difference in the overall scheme of things, and it's just not true...maybe getting stranded would wise them up to the fact that a simple 20k or even less would have been heaven sent, but chances are they'll just consider that losing 1 in a million torrents is just par for the course and it probably wouldn't change a thing...but what do I know

as far as not caring about the hit and runners, you must admit (well, I guess you don't HAVE to admit) that it IS a bitch when you want to do something else with your bandwidth and feel obligated to help people complete the torrent...it sucks being the lone seeder and waiting for the completes just to watch em go as fast as they came...I guess it's not the end of the world, but it definately sucks ass...why do they feel okay about ditching all the other folks waitin to complete while I would lose sleep over it...sometimes having a conscience REALLY blowz
Old 2007-05-22, 01:04 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

i seed because people enjoy it... why am i supposed to get upset
Old 2007-09-03, 07:05 PM
ezytouch
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i seed whenever i'm online (i only just worked out that Shareaza can do it!)... everytime my ratio starts to look good i see another show that i want desperately and so it drops again. i figure that eventually i will have fulfilled these desperations and my presence here will be as a seeder far more than a downloader. this keeps me positive.

incidentally, most of these shows that we're downloading/uploading are beautiful things (many of them indeed recorded during the era of love and peace and psychotropic elevation in music), and therefore the process should not evoke the kind of aggressive negativity that i've read throughout this thread.

not that i'm criticising, in fact i think its kinda funky when you start beating up on each other.
Old 2007-09-05, 05:48 PM
83.51 GB/15.20 GB/0.18

Hi.I'm kind of new here and was wondering if there was a specific policy.

My ISP "throttles" or speed-reduces torrent traffic. They used to do it on everything, but now it's mostly on uploads.ATM, my d/l speed is 105-110 kbs/sec and the u/l speed is 3.5 kbs/sec. This seems to be fairly typical the last few days,give or take.I dont think I've seen the u/l speed ever go above 10 kbs/sec.

So what do I do here? Leave uTorrent running 24/7/365 to try and let the ratio catch up? Other local ISPs that claim to have no throttling arent anywhere near as reliable as this one according to their users and cost more.I guess I'll be branded a Big Time Leech for awhile.

*looks for leech smiley*
Old 2007-09-05, 06:05 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

No, we don't have an explicit ratio policy. We ask that people do whatever they can to help share - keep your ratio up, offer B&Ps, start Vines/Trees/Loops, make artwork, help people in Technobabble, donate, etc - anything to help the site out.

With the way some ISPs are throttling traffic (blocking uploads after downloading), it may be best to throttle your own download speed so you can upload for as long as possible. Sure, this will slow down your download, but it will also ensure you will get to upload for longer.

If possible, it's suggested to set one or two shows to upload when you are not using your computer - I set mine to upload overnight all the time.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions