The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-09-06, 05:31 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Why so many duplicate completes?

There are close to a billion, yes a billion, of the same completer "timstreet" on my torrent?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...light=dcbullet
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-06, 06:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Why so many duplicate completes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
There are close to a billion, yes a billion, of the same completer "timstreet" on my torrent?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...light=dcbullet
A billion? hmmmmm, I see a few less than that. It made me look though. I was on TC and they were talking about this problem and there is a torrent there where they have 65,000 completes listed because of this problem. It's so bad that you can't even open the thread - you end up having to quit your browser (they don't have a separate window that opens from the thread when you click on it - all the names are listed in the torrent thread).

Anyway, I don't know why this happens. I do know it isn't just this tracker, it was happening on our last one also and, as I mentioned, it happens over at tapecity and they have a different type of tracker also. I'd have to spend some time actually analyzing why it happens to some users, but not others. Every once in a while I think of what may be causing it (a client that misbehaves, a user with random ports, etc), but then I look and find someone who does not fit into that category.

Old 2007-09-06, 06:13 PM
1.14 TB/5.36 TB/4.72

Just a quick reply. There are posts at bootcity.org that may give a reason to what is happening to you. I've experienced it on at least 2 Pink Fliyd torrents on that site. I ended up blocking the following IP ranges in uTorrent:

38.100.0.0 - 38.100.255.255
38.118.0.0 - 38.118.255.255

All the bogus completed clients were listed within one of those ranges. Apparently there is some company out there purposefully creating this false data so the original seeder drops off their own torrent, and any leechers are sent bad data. Since many BT clients can react to the latter, I'd say the former is the bigger problem, but I am no admin/moderator/expert, just a guy with access to Google ;-)

Anyway, there are solutions like Peer Guardian 2 (you could search on that, and/or PeerGuardian, at bootcity.org to learn more), which maintains a centralized block list. Or if, like me, you know the IPs or IP ranges you want to block, you can figure out how to do so in your particular client.

I'm just guessing that's what your problem is, but I'd bet at least a 6-pk that it is.

Good Luck!
and
fight the power!
Old 2007-09-06, 06:15 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I noticed the same type of thing on the Frampton's Camel 7/3/73 torrent.

Patrick1963 actually counted them (bless his heart....)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1963
Good point. Initially I thought that peteyman54 had a few extras but as I calculated, it got much worse.

Factoring in the 2 for marty harris, 3 for jcb, 5 for Count Ziggenpus, 5 for merkp and a whooping 21 for peteyman54 (wtf?), we have 169 actual snatches.
However if it had said a billion I would have been awfully surprised..... (that would be waaaaay more than "Frampton Comes Alive" ever sold, and I'd be expecting the inevitable silver bootleg to be released from this torrent ASAP...... )
Old 2007-09-06, 06:30 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

I've noticed it when some people keep stopping and trying to re-connect to torrents after completion. I see the same names on a lot of the shows in VBT.
Old 2007-09-06, 06:39 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

OK. We're on to something interesting here. Is it any cooincidence that timstreets is active on approximately 1 billion torrents on the tracker?!

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=133020
Old 2007-09-06, 06:52 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
OK. We're on to something interesting here. Is it any cooincidence that timstreets is active on approximately 1 billion torrents on the tracker?!

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=133020
Holy shit! Why do people think it does any good to *try* to seed that many torrents at a time? That is interesting to note and I'll see if that is something he has in common with other users who show up a bazillion times on a list of completes.

ThurstonX, I don't think that those IPs have anything to do with the completes list. I think you are talking about the seeders/leechers list and the extra people that would show up on torrents for a while over at TC. I think they fixed that issue finally.

Old 2007-09-06, 07:46 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

classic - its not the server.. something worse -its a n00b
Old 2007-09-06, 09:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

It's been happening ever since I installed the Snatched List which was actually for our last, non-passkey tracker.

Old 2007-09-07, 11:19 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I really hate playing with tracker code cuz the only way to really test it is on the live site! Anyway, I made a change to it that hopefully fixes the problem *from now on*. I'll see if I can manually fix your Junior Brown torrent and freezer's torrent and we'll see how they fare from now on.

Old 2007-09-07, 11:40 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Thanks a million Lynne! Those of us who are anal retentive can't stand when things don't work right.
Old 2007-09-07, 11:57 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I am usually very anal retentive about stuff also, but I was just not sure how to address this problem - the real problem is that some of these guys don't just send one 'announce' to complete, they actually pound the tracker with several announces within a few seconds. I can see it in the logs. So, I was trying to think of a way to tackle that problem, but have now decided to go about it from a different direction. Hopefully it works. crosses

Old 2007-09-26, 03:18 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Currently I can't seem to find / see any completes lists anymore.

That's probably worse than a completes list with multiple entries, no?
Old 2007-09-26, 09:27 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You may see the last few completes for the show. After the dos attack that we had last weekend, we realized that we had a bit too much information posted on the site about our users and decided to eliminate some of it. I don't really want to go into some of the specifics here.

Old 2007-09-26, 11:12 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
I noticed the same type of thing on the Frampton's Camel 7/3/73 torrent.

Patrick1963 actually counted them (bless his heart....)....

However if it had said a billion I would have been awfully surprised..... (that would be waaaaay more than "Frampton Comes Alive" ever sold, and I'd be expecting the inevitable silver bootleg to be released from this torrent ASAP...... )
Yeah i don't think i've ever seen that many snatches.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions