The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2004-12-15, 02:41 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The scoop on what's been going on

In case you don't look at the Site Announcements in the forums, I posted this last night (Dec 14th):

We switched servers today. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, and so we didn't shut the site down. Well, it turns out that we've lost a few posts and some registrations during about an eight hour time period today.

If you've lost a thread you started or a post, go ahead and post it again.

If you've lost a torrent thread, right now the tracker is down because of the server move and I need to see what the status is afterwards. The torrents may still be there, in which case I can probably do the threads again for you from the tracker information. PM me and I can add your name to the first post as the Seeder.

If you are no longer Registered, just register again.

So, I think we finished 'propogating' this morning. And, then we got our tracker up and running again. We did lose a couple of torrents, so go ahead and upload them again.

After the site got back up and running again this morning, you probably noticed that it went down again, then up, then down again, then up.... Well, even though *our* site was up and running fine again, another site sharing the server was not. So, the host first tried rebooting the server. Then, when that didn't work, he disabled http access to the server for a few minutes so he could try to figure out what was up.

I'm hoping that is the end of it. And yeah, lessons have been learned from this first experience of moving servers!

We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. If you've lost something important, please PM me and I'll see if I can get it back for you.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-15, 03:07 PM
3.19 GB/5.43 GB/1.70

Re: So, what the h*ll is going on here?

Sorry for the inconvenience! Unfortunately, we did not know that the tracker would have issues with the updated version of the operating system we used on the new server.
Old 2005-01-12, 11:35 AM
3.19 GB/5.43 GB/1.70

Re: The scoop on what's been going on

Today we had a Distributed Denial of Service attack on our network. At about 8:38 AM EST we lost connectivity, and we worked with our Internet providers to block the attack by about 9:17 AM EST. Network connectivity returned to normal by about 10:17 EST. During the attack, we were blasted by as much as 4 gigabits per second of ICMP traffic from at least 9400 unique hosts.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions