The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-07-07, 12:21 PM
16.57 GB/11.64 GB/0.70

Question Computer question

I am no computer nerd...for me they are just a means to the beautiful end of getting new music. having said that, is it better to leave a computer on at all times or turn it off at night or whenever? i just leave mine rolling at all times and i am wondering if this may cause a problem. peace
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-07-07, 12:25 PM
16.57 GB/11.64 GB/0.70

Re: Computer question

and i don't mean "computer nerd" in a pejorative way.
Old 2006-07-07, 12:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I leave mine on all the time. The only time I restart my mac is when I do a software update that requires it. I do turn the monitor off on my PC at night though.

Old 2006-07-07, 01:34 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

My PC stays on for 20-27 days often, but obviously yes, turn your monitor off when you dont use it. Thats just a waste of power if you dont.
Old 2006-07-07, 03:33 PM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Make sure you've got a powerful CPU cooler. Some PCs, especially those from big department stores, tend to get equipped with cheap non-reliable coolers. Check that and if necessary upgrade to a more powerful cooler. Then you should be able to operate your PC 24/7 without having to worry.
Old 2006-07-12, 05:39 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Lots of good advice here!

add this checklist to your thoughts...

- get an UPC !!!! (uninterruptible power supply - www.apc.com - a real one with a battery in it ) - "sags" in electricity kill electronics just as "spikes" will.

-mind the dust ( use can of compressed air to clean it out or at least check inside the door once a year )

-listen for weird sounds ( as mentioned...fans are very important )

computer myths :

the on/off thing is about the expansion-contraction that happens going from cold to hot... don’t sweat it... honest these boards are micron precise.
And the hard drive question... what’s worse the wear of a startup or it constantly spinning ? They are both "bad" -moving parts fail.. period.

Now if this is a new computer – keep it ON – this is called the “burn-in” period – you want any part that might fail – to fail – before you load it up with all your stuff ! After the return policy (ex. 15/30 days) has passed… the burn in period is over.

your electric bill will help you decide which way is right.
Old 2006-07-12, 06:02 PM
12.41 GB/173.50 GB/13.98

i have a pentium 3 which has been turned on 24/7 for probably the past 5 years with very few exceptions. every 6 months or so I blow out the dust that acures from sitting on the floor in my living room. it serves as my media center (hooked to my stereo, serves as firewall for my internet connection, etc). you should have no problem leaving your computer on all night. you will want to make sure it's well ventalated. don't put it in a closed cabinet. other than that youshouldn't have a problem.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble