The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-02-07, 07:12 PM
117.77 GB/160.35 GB/1.36

recommend a audio recorder

hello there,

I'm looking for an audio recording device. I have a small list of specifications that I would like this device to have:

1 - Should be able to record at 96k/24bit
2 - Should accept external microphone
3 - Should do seamless recording (meaning if it reaches max file size length (2GB for Wav), it automatically records onto a new file without losing a single second of music)
4 - Should hold at least 8GB of hard-drive (some are inbuilt hard-drives and some only take a max 2GB SD card)
5 - Should have good battery life (minimum 6-8 hours) removable would be great, but no big deal if they are not removable.
6 - Should be a very small device, easily to sneak in! Size really matters, I know sony & edirol are great but I think they are really large. It should be the size of an iRiver H120, smaller would be great!

Optional: should have plug in play power so you don't need to use battery box, just optional, doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-02-07, 07:47 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: recommend a audio recorder

The Edirol R-09 and R-09HR are not that big.

You should go with CF or SD. Hard drives fail, and HDs in these types of recorders fail more often than one you might have hooked up to your PC.

The HR will do 24/96.

You're not going to get all (or possibly even most) of those requirements in anything smaller.

Most recorders will have plug-in power, but it may or may not be enough to properly power your mics. And if you're going to record louder shows, you'll likely need a battery box.

There's not many smaller recorders. A Hi-MD is tiny, and has great built-in SONY pre-amps, but it's only gonna get you 16/44.1.

Worry less about the size. If you can't sneak in an R-09, battery box, & mics, you need to work on your stealthiness, not find a smaller recorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-02-07, 09:47 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Old 2011-02-08, 08:13 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i'd also say the Marantz PMD660...the true upside is the XLR inputs, which i prefer to 1/8" mini jack on most compact recorders...also the built-in pre's are much better than most others, and you can get them upgraded with even better pre's through Doug Oade
Old 2011-02-08, 09:39 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

If going that route, you have to buy from Oade Bros. They'll only mod units they sold.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Old 2011-02-09, 09:24 PM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Make a list of must haves in your device and stick to it. For me, I have to have XLR inputs, phantom power, and rotary gain control (no + and - buttons). This also seems to conform to your list of must haves as well.

* Four microphones - Stereo Cardioid and Omni Condenser Mics
* 44.1k to 96k sampling rates for WAV file recording (and a 24 bit upgrade patch available from the website)
* MP3 and WAV file Recording and Playback
* XLR Mic Inputs with Phantom Power
* High-performance microphone preamp with 60dB of gain
* Premium AKM Audio4Pro™ A/D converters with over 100dB signal to noise ratio
* 3.5mm Line Inputs and Outputs
* Low Cut Filter, Analog Limiter and Auto Gain Control
* Built-in Speaker
* Integrated microphone stand mount
* Runs on Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery or AA Batteries (also has gapless power switching from one to the other!!!)
* Optional PS-P520 AC power adapter (this is a big downside...you have to purchase the power adapter separately)
* Ships with 2GB SD card, but is compatible with up to 32 GB
* Dimensions: 3.2" W x 1.4" H x 6" D (80.5mm x 35mm x 151mm)

This also gives you a remote that you can use to stop and start while it is up on a stand (for when you are not stealthing), and I also like the rotary gain controls on the side. It has auto gain control, but you can dial this in with more detail as opposed to the digital ones that jump a few db with each click of the button.

This is simply built for field recording. Different mic choices on board, XLR inputs in case you get a patch or you buy nice condensers, phantom power built in, different power options, and a mic stand adapter.

But don't take my word for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
Arrived today Just did a quick test (using the best possible settings) and it worked superbly. Above my expectations! gonna upgrade the firmware, now.

Big Thanks again, Mr. uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Old 2011-02-10, 03:46 PM
29.30 GB/35.09 GB/1.20

The iRiver 120 is no smaller than the others really, it's a shade thinner than the Sony M10 but there's hardly anything in it. Most modern recorders look like cell phones or mp3 players at a glance, so not worth stressing over. If I can get 2 or 3 of these suckers in, anyone can

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 2011-02-21, 12:37 AM
117.77 GB/160.35 GB/1.36

i have been debating now, either zoom h2 or edirol r09. which one of those two is better? ive done my extensive research and these two fit what I want, but needed some opinions on which one is better
Old 2011-02-21, 03:07 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Audio - Audience Re: recommend a audio recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
i have been debating now, either zoom h2 or edirol r09. which one of those two is better? ive done my extensive research and these two fit what I want, but needed some opinions on which one is better
Right now I'm on a roadtrip, taping 6 Heart shows with an Edirol R-09HR (with external mics and pre's) and a Zoom H2 (with other external mics), and with this A/B direct comparison and my previous experience with both units on their own, I would go with the R-09HR. I think its a little easier to use and a bit more robust and solid feeling, and I think the internal mic pre's and A/D D/A converters are a little better in the Edirol unit. The Zoom seems kinda cheap by comparison (figuratively speaking) as well as literally cheaper, but you get what you pay for...

R-09HR and Zoom H2 have capability to record 24/96 - the regular R-09 only does 24/48, but its cheaper if you can find one still...

I really like the looks and features of that Tascam DR-100, though! That'd be my recommendation over the R-09HR for sure.

Yes, work on stealthiness, because these are (any one of them) what you want to use, and yes, people like me bring more than one unit (I'm working with three recorders for this run of shows in full stealth mode) there's nothing smaller worth using as it is right now.

Go for it man!
Old 2011-02-23, 03:02 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Quote:
hello there,

I'm looking for an audio recording device. I have a small list of specifications that I would like this device to have:

1 - Should be able to record at 96k/24bit
2 - Should accept external microphone
3 - Should do seamless recording (meaning if it reaches max file size length (2GB for Wav), it automatically records onto a new file without losing a single second of music)
4 - Should hold at least 8GB of hard-drive (some are inbuilt hard-drives and some only take a max 2GB SD card)
5 - Should have good battery life (minimum 6-8 hours) removable would be great, but no big deal if they are not removable.
6 - Should be a very small device, easily to sneak in! Size really matters, I know sony & edirol are great but I think they are really large. It should be the size of an iRiver H120, smaller would be great!

Optional: should have plug in play power so you don't need to use battery box, just optional, doesn't matter.
Tascam DR-05 http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I assume so.
4. Yes (17 hours on 2 AA batteries)
6. Yes. Smaller than the Sony M10 and Edirol R09
Cost is under $100 at www.soundprofessionals.com

If you want something even smaller, then there's the Tascam DR-03 - It only records at 24bit/48kHz
http://tascam.com/product/dr-03/
Old 2011-02-23, 07:26 AM
117.77 GB/160.35 GB/1.36

tascam dr-05, looks amazing, definitely got my attention. one thing I have noticed is the edirol-r09 doesn't have a tripod mount (hole), is this true?
Old 2011-02-23, 03:34 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

No, it doesn't.

You plan on stealthing with a tripod?

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Old 2011-02-23, 05:43 PM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Quote:
tascam dr-05, looks amazing, definitely got my attention. one thing I have noticed is the edirol-r09 doesn't have a tripod mount (hole), is this true?
You do know they make shock mounts for digital recorders right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Old 2011-02-23, 05:45 PM
769.70 GB/445.67 GB/0.58

Quote:
Go Here it dose have a tripod

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=962

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
No, it doesn't.

You plan on stealthing with a tripod?
A tripod is good if you know the band and I mean personally
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
when carrying a headless corpse through the streets, there is no better accessory than the Nike black leather condom cap.
Old 2011-02-23, 10:32 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
i'd also say the Marantz PMD660...the true upside is the XLR inputs, which i prefer to 1/8" mini jack on most compact recorders...also the built-in pre's are much better than most others, and you can get them upgraded with even better pre's through Doug Oade
Seconded. Get it from the Oades directly. I don't do much taping, but I've borrowed my friends unit a bunch of times, and it couldn't be any easier for a n00b to use. I have bought other audio equipment from them, and Jim was one of the nicest people I've ever dealt with.

I've been meaning to get one of those for myself.

~Dorothy Parker

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble