The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-05, 12:07 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Help with Port Forwarding...

I just went through the instructions for Port Forwarding regarding the Belkin F5D5230-4. It doesn't seem like it did anything. Is there anything more I need to do? On EasyTree, I still have that annoying red number next to my name...
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-05, 12:10 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

Also, if it helps you in any way (like to check if it worked), I'm on a Nirvana video torrent here (12-13-1993). Maybe you could see if I'm firewalled that way...
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:29 AM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

What BT client do you use undeath? and what kind of speeds do you typically get?
Old 2005-01-05, 01:36 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I'm using the ABC client.

I think I typically get about 8-10K/s down on each torrent on average days. I'm getting varying speeds right now (anywhere from 2-8). And the higher speeds slow down as soon as they get there (which may be a result of someone capping their upload).
Old 2005-01-05, 01:43 AM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

those speeds suck! I thought you were on DSL?
Old 2005-01-05, 01:47 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I'm getting DSL after I move to Norwich. I'm on Cable.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:50 AM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

Yeah, thats brutal undeath. I just looked at the torrent and there's 4 seeders and 17 leechers. If you're on dsl, you should definitely be getting better speeds than that.

I don't have abc, so hopefully someone with that client can help you. I use Bit Tornado and I had the same problem when I first started with BT. I opened the ports on my modem, but I was still firewalled. I didn't realize I had to open the ports on my BT client as well. As soon as I did that, I've been getting great speeds. I'm not sure if ABC works the same way, but you may want to check it out.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:53 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Thanks. Maybe I'll consider switching to see if it works. I just hate uploading 2-3 times a 2+ gig torrent when my upload limit for a month is 10GB.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:59 AM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

Not to mention the time it must take to download a show, especially a dvd.

Let me know if you try out Bit Tornado and I'll guide you through the procedure. It's pretty easy though, I doubt you would need much help. Thats one thing I really like about Tornado. It's very user friendly.
Old 2005-01-05, 02:03 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I should be able to figure it out. I just got it and installed. I'm opening it now.

Stay tuned... I don't understand too much when it comes to the specifics of this. I'm an old-school computer/registry guy...
Old 2005-01-05, 02:11 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Yeah, I'm lost. I don't have a clue. I probably didn't even follow the instructions at that port forwarding website correctly...
Old 2005-01-05, 02:21 AM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

Open the Nirvana torrent with the Bit Tornado client. In the upper right hand corner, there should be 4 links. It should look like this......Details..Advanced...Prefs...About. Click on Prefs and it'll bring up a new screen. In the upper right hand corner of the new screen, it'll say "Port Range" and will have 2 boxes underneath it. Type in "6881" in the "from" box, and "6999" in the "to" box.

This will open ports 6881-6999 within the client. Let the torrent run for a bit. The light in the upper right hand corner should turn green. If it remains yellow, then you are still firewalled and the problem is with your modem/router.
Old 2005-01-05, 02:35 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

No dice. I must have done something wrong when I tried it for my router.
Old 2005-01-05, 02:37 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I'm looking at my speeds right now, and it seems to be going faster (in ABC). Sometimes it hits 10, but mostly stays around 4-8. Faster than before, but I'm still firewalled...
Old 2005-01-05, 02:48 AM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

Yeah, with 4 seeds and a cable modem, you should be getting faster speeds than that. If the light remained yellow for a while, then you're definitely firewalled.

I wish I could help you with the router situation but I have no experience with one. Sorry man

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble