The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-12-27, 03:14 AM
4.08 GB/1.29 GB/0.32

Can leech but not seed. Can't make "FIREWALLED" go away.

Hi. New member here. I'm running Linux Mint 11 with Transmission as my client. I can leech with no problems. Nothing I receive goes back out to anyone, though. Site says I'm "FIREWALLED". Transmission says port 51413 is closed. Using UPnP is also enabled in Transmission. My router is a Netgear WNDR3400v2. I am unfamiliar with custom port forwarding configurations but as far as I can tell, I have Port 51413 setup to forward to 10.0.0.2 - my local machine. What gives?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-12-27, 05:28 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Re: Can leech but not seed. Can't make "FIREWALLED" go away.

This is how portforwarding works for your netgear router, windoze and transmission, something similar should be done in Linux, I guess, no Linux user here. Are you sure that IP you gave is the right internal ip-adress of your machine and not the the default ip scheme of your router?
Old 2012-12-27, 01:14 PM
4.08 GB/1.29 GB/0.32

I read that page a couple of days ago and tried everything I could see that it suggested. My machine is at 10.0.0.2 internally. I logged into my router and set the service type as "TCP/UDP" and the starting/ending port to "51413" for 10.0.0.2. I rebooted the router. Checked to make sure the settings were still there. They are. Transmission still says port 51413 is closed. I don't get it.

I'm currently leeching and seeding torrents from h33t.com and thepiratebay with no problems. I've recently leeched a few magnets and they too come down to me but don't go up to anyone else. I only knew that to happen with magnets until I came here. I've never had this problem before with any other tracker. Never had a site tell me I was "FIREWALLED" before now either.
Old 2012-12-27, 01:34 PM
4.08 GB/1.29 GB/0.32

There is a difference in my router config compared to what's shown in the page at the URL you cited. I have fields for "External" starting/ending ports and "Internal" starting/ending ports. These options and my settings are as follows:

Service Name: Transmission
Service Type: TCP/UDP
External Starting Port (1~65535): 51413
External Ending Port (1~65535): 51413
[*] Use the same port range for Internal port (CHECKED)
Internal Starting Port (1~65535): 51413 (Note: this is preset because the above option is checked.)
Internal Ending Port: 51413 (Note: this is preset because the "same port range" option is checked.)
Internal IP address: 10.0.0.2 (Note: this, my PC, is the only currently connected device)

In the UPnP section of my router config, I have:

Turn UPnP: "On"
Advertisement Period (in minutes): 30
Advertisement Time to Live (in hops): 4
UPnP Portmap Table:
Active: YES | Protocol: TCP | Int. Port: 51413 | Ext. Port: 51413 | IP Address: 10.0.0.2

In the Preferences->Network tab of my Transmission client I have:

INCOMING PEERS
Port for incoming connections: 51413
[Test Port] (Note: This is a button. When I click it, I see "Testing..." and then "Port is closed."
[ ] Pick a random port every time Transmission is started (NOT CHECKED)
[*] Use UPnP or NAT-PMP port forwarding from my router (CHECKED)

In the Preferences->Privacy tab of my Transmission client I have:

BLOCKLIST
[*] Enable blocklist: http://www.example.com/blocklist (CHECKED)
Blocklist contains 225,033 rules [Update]
[*] Enable automatic updates (CHECKED)

PRIVACY
Encryption mode: [Require encryption] (This is a select list with 3 options)
[*] Use PEX to find more peers (CHECKED)
[*] Use DHT to find more peers (CHECKED)
[ ] Use Local Peer Discovery to find more peers (NOT CHECKED)

Last edited by Lord Hasenpfeffer; 2012-12-27 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2012-12-28, 05:57 PM
4.08 GB/1.29 GB/0.32

Also, while I'm leeching, I am able to simultaneously seed - even though Transmission reports at that time that port 51413 is closed. As soon as I receive the full torrent, seeding stops. If anyone has experience with this behaviour, I'd appreciate a clue regarding how to fix it. I've used Transmission with Linux Mint since 2009 and have never seen this happen before with any other site/tracker.
Old 2012-12-29, 02:49 PM
397.98 GB/489.20 GB/1.23

Maybe this version of TR is crap?

I use UT for Mac and imo they came with dozens of versions that sucked. So I used the ancient v16917 that gave me full speed up and down. (Now I also use the brand new v28815 which is very good).

Time to downgrade and wait for a new version that works?
Old 2012-12-29, 03:25 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.58 TB/7.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igemo75 View Post
Maybe this version of TR is crap?

I use UT for Mac and imo they came with dozens of versions that sucked. So I used the ancient v16917 that gave me full speed up and down. (Now I also use the brand new v28815 which is very good).

Time to downgrade and wait for a new version that works?
I'm running Transmission 2.74 (13648) with Ubuntu 12.10 and no problems at all.

If you are overloading your bandwidth sometimes it will show you as firewalled here and on other sites.

Open a terminal and do an "ifconfig" to make sure you have the lan ip that you expect to have.

Here is a link for a bittorrent troubleshooting guide for ubuntu that should apply to mint (both Debian under the hood, right?):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259923

The difference between the router manual and what you see now is due to a firmware upgrade...same thing happened to me although I have a different router. In the forwarding section recheck to make sure both the internal lan ip and the external ip settings are correct. My external ip autosets, but in an earlier firmware version I had to set it myself.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia

Last edited by guygee; 2012-12-29 at 03:32 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble