The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-11-26, 03:35 AM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

How to compare shntool md5 checksums against files

Thanks to Rain's site and tutorials, I can easily create proper md5 checksums. That's the easy part. But what I can't figure out is how to compare a txt/md5 file with the checksums against actual files. I obviously can't do it through md5summer anymore. Any batch file that might be able to do this? I know I could create a second md5 file and compare the two files by myself, but that seems very inefficient.
Old 2004-11-26, 10:48 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Re: How to compare shntool md5 checksums against files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizby
I know I could create a second md5 file and compare the two files by myself, but that seems very inefficient.
Unfortunately, that is the only way to do it right now...I am currently working on an shntool frontend in my spare time which will be able to check files against an shntool md5, but for right now, it has to be done by creating a new one on your files and visually comparing them again the original.

I am considering making shntool md5s a new extension (.st5 or .stm) that will automatically open with my new program, but I'm several months away from being able to release this to the public, so for the time being, it just has to be done this way.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-11-26, 11:13 AM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Re: How to compare shntool md5 checksums against files

A few months ago, back when we had a discussion in technobabble over on stg about whole file md5s and shntool, I worked on a patched version of Caleb's md5check script as a proof of concept.

If anyone is interested I can upload it -- although from what I can tell not a lot of people use that tool to verify their md5s.

It obviously has all of the requirements of the original md5check -- at least a locally installed perl installed with the appropriate CPAN modules. I don't have access to a Windows machine on any type of regular basis, so I only know it works in linux, but from looking at Caleb's notes he designed it to work with ActiveState Perl.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble