The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-12-15, 06:02 PM
973.67 MB/11.55 MB/0.01

SHN -> FLAC conversion ; a little help

Alright so i am in the hospital with a broken leg. I got nothing to do really for the next 1~ 1/2 month. My folks brought in my desktop so i can sit while i play Skyrim.

I was honestly contemplating of making use of the time by converting my Phish SHN's to FLAC.

Why am i converting my SHN's to FLAC? Because i am anal about my Phish and i hate looking at the txt to see while song is next. plus i installed rockbox on my ipod so i can use the new flac files on it

Right now this is the method i am going to be using

SHN files -> Convert to WAV using Traders Little helper -> Create WAV MD5 of the files (according to disc or whole ; depending on how the number of md5 in the original shn) --> Convert to FLAC via Traders Little helper ( with a Flac Fingerprint ; and then Tag the files) and then do a Bitcompare on Foobar2k

So all in all i will have a WAV MD5 Checksum , a FFP file and also i will include the old SHN MD5's in a separate folder ( titled Old SHN Checksums) and also in the txt files i will include the changes.

For example : a while ago i converted this show From SHN -> WAV -> FLAC

This show right here --> http://db.etree.org/shn/14166

So apparently i fixed the SBE on the 3rd disc and included the following changes in the TXT as follows

Phish

10-24-95
Dane County Colseum
Madison, WI

Source: Neumann KM140 > Beyer MV100 > D7

Seed: DAT > Seagate Archive Python 01931 > dat2wav 1.2 >
Sound Forge 4.5 (to 44.1k @ highest accuracy; anti-alias filter) > CDWav
> shnXP (updated shn2k) by Paul Hofferkamp ([email protected])

--No DAE--

Show as received was 48kHz for the first set, d1t1 to d2t4 (verified with etree
listed md5s). Set 1 resample: SHN > MKW > 48kHz WAV > Cooledit 2000 (44.1kHz WAV
at 999 setting w pre/post filter) > shntool > MKW > SHN. New files labeled 'fixed'.
Bill Mitchell [email protected] > WAV ( fixed d3t01 to d3t06 ; new files labelled as "fixed" and added new md5 files for each disc) > FLAC lvl 8 (via TLH and added new ffp file along with tags)

Also included the original SHN MD5 Files..

SHN > WAV > FLAC with tags (ffp and WAV MD5's) by kathmustdie ([email protected]) on 12/16/2011

Is this acceptable?

Also how does one fix SBE's on TLH? My settings are on

Mode : Fix , Action : Shift Backward and there is "Pad Last File with Zero-bytes" is checked.

Let me know!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-12-15, 06:56 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Re: SHN -> FLAC conversion ; a little help

TLH will convert from shn to flac without having to go through the wav step. First you need to create an st5 of the shn files. After converting to flac, create another flac st5 or ffp. The flac checksums should perfectly match the shn checksums. You can toss the old shn md5's as they will not match and be of no use to anyone with the flac files.

I would not fix sector boundary errors as this will cause the flac checksums not the match the shn checksums causing your flac files to lose their lineage.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-12-16, 05:18 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Re: SHN -> FLAC conversion ; a little help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathmustdie View Post
Alright so i am in the hospital with a broken leg.
Speedy recovery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathmustdie View Post
Also how does one fix SBE's on TLH? My settings are on:
Mode : Fix , Action : Shift Backward and there is "Pad Last File with Zero-bytes" is checked.

See earlier post made by Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn View Post
When fixing SBE's is it better to fix or pad? I've been padding them. And what is the difference? Thanks.
In pad mode each file will be padded either at the beginning (pre-pad) or at the end (post-pad) with silence to make it sector-aligned.

In fix mode the whole fileset is taken as a big single file. Then each track break is shifted to the next sector boundary, if needed. For example, some of the samples from the beginning of track 2 are cut and padded at the end of track 1 to make track 1 sector-aligned, then some of the samples from the beginning of track 3 are cut and padded at the end of track 2 to make track 2 sector-aligned, and so on.

When there already is silence between the tracks of a fileset (most studio recordings, for example), it doesn't matter whether you use fix or pad mode (because in both modes silence is added to silence). But if it's a recording without any silence between the tracks (most live recordings, for example), you need to use fix mode. If you would use pad mode silence would be inserted between the tracks, audible as click or pop in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germain View Post
...You can toss the old shn md5's as they will not match and be of no use to anyone with the flac files.
I would advice to keep the st5 of the shn files so everyone knows that these newly created flacs are identical to the original shn files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble