The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-30, 10:55 AM
1.07 TB/289.84 GB/0.27

Re: Your thoughts about Azureus please

I can't tell Azureus but can tell ABC. Great tool. Will do about anything you might want. Exception: see my "mechanics" thread.

Apparently, no matter which client, these disadvantages apply to all:
- slow at loading :
Reason: the volume of the files. Not the actual program.
- crashes:
Reason: overheating, check ventilator. Expiry of RAM space, expand memory.
(My guesses, not sure.)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-30, 11:36 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
You had to go and trash this thread, didn't you? Ever try to uninstall it (completely)? It's a registry nightmare
ugh... I've probably still got registry entries to hunt down, thanx for the tip

the best way to get around it is to use Media Player Classic with reallternative (when you can't avoid real, like on the bbc site). there's also a quicktime alternative available for that prog, too.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-30, 12:10 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Yep, I already use Classic with Realalternative. I thought I mentioned that (guess I forgot ). When I "have" to use RealPlayer, I either grab the direct link to the file (if I can) and download it to view in Classic, sometimes I convert it from Real format, depending on what it is, and sometimes I just not get the file at all. I miss out on some good stuff that way, but at least I don't have to spend half an hour cleaning my computer of RealPlayer after I'm finished.

Just an FYI - Norton/Symantec is almost as bad as Real when trying to remove all remnants safely. You'd think they would know which keys they modify/add so that the uninstaller could delete those too.
Old 2005-07-30, 01:42 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

that's just sloppy coding

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-30, 02:47 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Very sloppy. Same thing with Windows. They think that computers have all this capability so that now they can be sloppy/inefficient with their programming. Let them try to do something worth anything with minimal RAM and CPU. When I was using my Apple, that was the most fun part of programming - streamlining the code (we had to back then).
Old 2005-07-31, 04:36 AM
witekk
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I am using less known client called BitSpirit. I tried Azureus, BitComet, ABC, BitTornado at times and in my opinion it beats them all. I've never heard of a feature in other clients BitSpirit doesn't have.

Official site:
http://www.bytelinker.com/intl/bs.htm

Although the latest version can be found here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/30786
Old 2005-07-31, 04:01 PM
ClassOfAllMyLove
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I got 512mb of ram and a athlon 2200, and i use azureus and it doesnt slow the computer down at all, i never have problems (though that is becuse i dont have an AV at the moment, juts a firewall and spyware destroyer, i seem quite lucky without viruses, and AV programs always seem more hassle than they are worth for me = every 4 months i install, run then delete)... anyway...

azureus i have no problems with, it is slow starting up as its loading the torrents, and sometimes it seems to take a few of the torrents "update with the tracker" until a light goes green (for some reason all torrents are on red for first 10 minutes or so), but thats probrably a problem with my connection rather than azureus. as for the whole extra cpu usage... is this like when you hit Ctrl Alt Delete and see the percentage its using? because if so azureus is on 0, whereas "javaw" jumps to 2 or 4 at most, azureus does that as well....

long ramble there, but basically i think its great, been using it for 6 months now.
Old 2005-07-31, 04:33 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

ClassOfAllMyLove -

AV - Of course the choice is yours, but did you know you can keep the AV installed and just do a scan every 4 months? To keep it from sucking resources, you need to go into the options and disable "Auto-protect" or whatever it may be called in the software you use. Of course you'll no longer be protected (you aren't now anyway), but it'll keep you from having to install/uninstall every four months. Plus, it gives you the added convenience of being able to specifically scan a particular file/directory at any time.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete thing with AZ - We're refering to the Processes tab (CPU column). The "javaw" is the one that "hogs" resources for the reason Five's GF gave in one of the prior posts.

I still haven't used AZ extensively because I don't download a whole lot, but from what I've seen, it looks like it's working out ok for me and I think I'll stick with it until it lets me down.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.
Old 2005-08-02, 10:28 AM
Cowboy Bob
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
Java compiles to bytecode meaning that what you get when you compile a java program is not understandably by any computer. There is an intermediary, the Java run time Environment, that relays signals from the program to the computer. This allows for easy cross platform compatibilty, but comes with an overhead.

^^written by my gf

p.s. compies to bit should have read compiles to bytecode. oopsie!
Not true exactly. Yes there is an intermediate step in that the program is compiled to bytecode rather than native code. But, when the Java Virtual Machine is started up, the bytecode is compiled to native code on the fly and optimised using the Just In Time technique.

This means two things:-

1) Initial start-up time is increased
2) The final running program can be faster than native code since it will be compiled at runtime to your specific system

Given that, anything that runs slowly or uses up too many resources is not very well written. This can be true in any language, but is often preceived to be more true in Java since the barriers to entry to Java programming are much lower than other languages (free compilers, easy syntax etc) - hence anyone can and does have a go at it. Therefore, I'd argue that these "bad programs" are as much to do with its success rather than anything else.

It is a fallacy that the bytecode is interpreted as your description implies above. It is true that that was once the case, but it has been untrue since Java 1.2.

E-Bay runs 100% on Java based systems, yet it is one of the highest traffic websites in the world, and doesn't suffer performance problems because of it.

Bob

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble