The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-24, 11:44 PM
bringdownthewall
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Nero Burning Question

Never mind. Got mine to work again. Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-25, 08:14 PM
67.69 GB/24.73 GB/0.37

DVD-RAM Drive

Can I use this to burn DVD's? Or do I have to have a DVD-R or DVD-RW? I have Nero but it doesn't seem to offer me any way to burn DVD's without converting them to Video CD's. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2006-01-25, 10:31 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Re: DVD-RAM Drive

What brand and model DVD-RAM? I know my LF-D310 DVD-RAM is only good for burning RAM and -R DVDs. I use it for RAM burning of archived master files only. What version of Nero are you using?

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2006-01-25, 11:04 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah, we really need more information on the model of your drive first. My new external DVD drive can cope with DVD-RAM media (although I haven't tested RAM media on it yet), but it can also cope with everything but dual layer 'dash' media.

My drive is an LG GSA-5163D, which is detected by my computer as a HL-DL-ST DVDRAM GSA-5163D.
Old 2006-01-26, 07:10 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
Yeah, we really need more information on the model of your drive first. My new external DVD drive can cope with DVD-RAM media (although I haven't tested RAM media on it yet), but it can also cope with everything but dual layer 'dash' media.

My drive is an LG GSA-5163D, which is detected by my computer as a HL-DL-ST DVDRAM GSA-5163D.
Wish my RAM could burn at 5X not that I've seen 5x dscs anywhere, I think I can upgrade to 2X if I get the latest firmware but then that drives gotta be 4 years old.

Quote:
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2006-01-26, 03:31 PM
67.69 GB/24.73 GB/0.37

I have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S model and Nero Express 6. After much searching, I found that Nero SmartStart, the opening screeen for my Nero didn't have DVD's on their startup screen. So after opening Nero Express, I found my DVD controls. It burned to my disc (Maxwell DVD-R) but won't play in either my Laptop's DVD or my DVD Player. I put every file in to burn and was wondering if there were any that I wasn't supposed to put. Do all the BUP, IFO, and VOB files need to be there? Obviously, the VOB files do but what about the others?
Old 2006-01-26, 03:56 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

for starters, only use Nero Burning ROM and select the proper disc-type for what yer tryin to do [you can find Burning ROM in the Nero folder in yer programs list]...the rest of Nero's interfaces [smartstart, xpress, etc] will only screw stuff up...and yes, you need ALL the files in the Video_TS folder [.ifo, .bup, & .vob files]

to burn a "watchable" copy [i.e. on yer home DVD player]:
--Open Nero Burning ROM
--Select "DVD" and then "DVD-Video"
--Drag *all* the files from the show's Video_TS folder to the Video_TS folder in the project's window
--burn away

also, some home DVD players will only play DVD-R discs, some DVD+R, some both...also, some can play DVD-RAM discs and others can't...you'll have to look up yer particular model to find out
Old 2006-01-26, 04:00 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

What exactly is DVD RAm?
Old 2006-01-26, 04:10 PM
145.28 GB/226.94 GB/1.56

It's as option some burners have to use a rewriteable DVD as kind of a hard drive. Most used with labtops so you can easily share with a PC. Kind of pointless IMO. On a laptop I just set up, it said I had to disable this option before I could burn a DVD. Just right-click the drive and unclick the option in properties.
Old 2006-01-26, 07:08 PM
67.69 GB/24.73 GB/0.37

Thank you so much. That worked great. I appreciate everyone's help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
for starters, only use Nero Burning ROM and select the proper disc-type for what yer tryin to do [you can find Burning ROM in the Nero folder in yer programs list]...the rest of Nero's interfaces [smartstart, xpress, etc] will only screw stuff up...and yes, you need ALL the files in the Video_TS folder [.ifo, .bup, & .vob files]

to burn a "watchable" copy [i.e. on yer home DVD player]:
--Open Nero Burning ROM
--Select "DVD" and then "DVD-Video"
--Drag *all* the files from the show's Video_TS folder to the Video_TS folder in the project's window
--burn away

also, some home DVD players will only play DVD-R discs, some DVD+R, some both...also, some can play DVD-RAM discs and others can't...you'll have to look up yer particular model to find out
Old 2006-01-26, 09:43 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopenhower
It's as option some burners have to use a rewriteable DVD as kind of a hard drive. Most used with labtops so you can easily share with a PC. Kind of pointless IMO. On a laptop I just set up, it said I had to disable this option before I could burn a DVD. Just right-click the drive and unclick the option in properties.
It's true that with the low cost of external HDs they don't make a lot sense but they are a lot like HD's in the way data is stored on them. They were introduced for archiving data they are said to be good for 30 years, can be rewritten 100,000 times, it's drag and drop on an XP system like an external drive no burning program needed. Data written is automagically verified and they can come in a cartridge so data is very stable.

I don't know what the drive in the laptop you have is where you are required to disable DVD-RAM in order to burn a DVD?

Quote:
Old 2006-01-27, 05:03 PM
145.28 GB/226.94 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
I don't know what the drive in the laptop you have is where you are required to disable DVD-RAM in order to burn a DVD?
It was a Toshiba Satellite Notebook with their "DVD SuperMulti drive". Only a couple weeks old. I don't know who makes the drive. But everytime I started windows, a pop up would say that DVD Ram is enabled and this option must be turned off to burn DVD's. I wasn't interested in the DVD Ram, so I disabled it and removed the popup program from the windows run registry. I was just setting it up for someone else, so I didn't spend much time with it.
Old 2006-01-28, 09:22 AM
Hatfield21
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ok, got the dvd burned and now...

i have video but no audio... used the version of nero that came with my burner. any advice?? it's the phil lesh and friends 12-1-05 second set torrent
Old 2006-01-28, 11:07 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Ok, got the dvd burned and now...

Did you burn it as a Video DVD or a data DVD? And does it play just fine on your computer? Also, has anyone else posted in the DVD thread about having problems with this DVD?

Old 2006-01-28, 02:42 PM
2.98 TB/1.42 TB/0.48

Re: Ok, got the dvd burned and now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatfield21
i have video but no audio... used the version of nero that came with my burner. any advice?? it's the phil lesh and friends 12-1-05 second set torrent
Hatfield21 - I'm having problems as well. The files check out by the MD5 checksum, but when I burn DVD, it takes forever to burn and when done, the burn fails. I wonder if there is something wrong but haven't seen anyone else post problems. I'm using the latest version of Nero.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble