The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-22, 09:16 PM
542.43 GB/1.29 TB/2.43

Stereo setup...

Ok, I'm new in audio like this.

I have a pair of Infinity SM-152's rated at 10-300 watts. I also have a pair of Cerwin-Vega! D-3's rated at about 125 watts max. I have an Optimus STAV-3250 reciever which I use with the Cerwin-Vega!'s putting out about 110 watts max. I have a Kenwood KM-893 power amp, which I got today with NO knowlege about it's output. And an AudioSource EQ Eight/II equalizer too.

I got the SM-152's. the Kenwood amp, and the EQ today.

I want to know, how do I hook this up. Do I run an output from the reciever to the amp with the speakers hooked to the amp and the Cerwin-Vega!'s to the reciever itself? I need some help desperatly.

Thank you
Old 2007-07-23, 01:47 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Stereo setup...

I hate to break it to you, but in order to hook up the Kenwood amp to your receiver your receiver needs preamp outputs, and I don't think that model has them. Or you are going to need a separate preamplifier to control the Kenwood amp. With all those speakers have you thought about surround sound? You could ebay the stereo receiver and stereo amp, and buy a 5.1 receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound. You could hook up your DVD player and enjoy movies in surround sound, and there is a 5 channel stereo mode also on most? 5.1 receivers so you can play your CDs through all 4 speakers. There is also digital signal processing effect modes, like Club, Stadium. Some of the DVDs here at TTD have surround sound on them.

This site has good deals and Denon is a heck of a consumer brand, better than Sony, Kenwood, JVC.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=3332466
Denon AVR-1706 $175

7.1 receiver
75 watts x 7 channels
5.1 analog input for DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray compatibility
Dolby Digital, DTS

Drawbacks: No HDMI switching for Blu-Ray, some DVD players, and HDTV tuners. It doesn't have a phono input if you ever want to play vinyl. Well, I guess you could use a phono preamp and hook up the turntable through an analog input.

You can compare all the new Denon AV receivers here: http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp

btw, I'm not a Denon salesman or anything, I just own some Denon gear.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-23, 02:13 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You could hook up all four speakers to the receiver if the receiver has 'A' and 'B' speaker terminals. Then you could use all four speakers simultaneously if you have a button that can enable A and B together. It wouldn't be wise to hook up all 4 speakers to one set of speaker terminals on your receiver, as I think this puts too much load on the receiver. But that Kenwood amplifier will be useless without a preamplifier to control it.
Old 2007-07-23, 03:38 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Question Re: Stereo setup...

Or to put it another way, what do you want to achieve? Do you want to retain your system as 2-channel stereo, or are you looking to put together a quadrophonic / 4-channel setup?

I assume the Optimus and the Cerwin-Vega setup works OK. If so, why did you buy/get the Kenwood, Equaliser and SM152s? Are you looking at them as a replacement for the current set-up, or an addition?

I'm not familiar with the various model numbers, but if the Kenwood is a power amp, I echo tubular's comments; you'll need a pre-amp to feed into it; assuming the equaliser doesn't fit this role.

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-07-23, 04:26 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thought of this: you can use the subwoofer preamp output on a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver to connect to the Kenwood amp, bridge the amp to mono (if you can) and power a non-powered subwoofer. But most subwoofers today are powered (have a built in amp), I think.
Old 2007-07-25, 01:37 PM
542.43 GB/1.29 TB/2.43

Ok.
I wanted to set up a good system for anything.
The STAV has surround modes including Dolby Digital, although it may be different. Really I am not worried about surround sound though.
The Kenwood, EQ, and SM-152's were $60 all together.
The A+B on my STAV works fine for me.
The STAV shut off the other day and now won't come on. ($25 out the door)
I have a DJ mixing board to use with the Kenwood if I can't figure out what happened to the STAV.

Now, first. Can someone tell me what happened to the STAV. It's either on standby or nothing. I plug it in the stand-by light is on. Hit the power button it goes off but that's all it does. I may be using the Kenwood after all.
Old 2007-07-25, 06:16 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You might have blown the fuse on the receiver:
http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc31/31989.htm

"REPLACING THE FUSE

Your receiver has a fuse that helps protect the receiver from power surges
and short circuits. If the receiver does not work, check the fuse to see
if it is blown.

To check and replace the fuse, follow these steps:

1. Use a Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the fuse compartment cap on the
back of the receiver.

2. Pull out the fuse compartment cap and remove the old fuse.

3. If the fuse's center wire is broken or the glass covering is a light
brown color, replace the fuse with an identical 6-amp, 250-volt fuse
available at your local Radio Shack store.

CAUTION: Never use a fuse that has a higher rating than 6 amps/250V.

4. Replace the fuse compartment cap.

If the fuse is not blown, it is possible that one of the protection
circuits has been activated. (See "Built-In Protection Circuits".)"

At the top of this page: http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/26934.htm it says that your receiver is an AM/AM Stereo Receiver, so I didn't read much further than that. I looked through the links and it says that the receiver has Dolby Surround Sound (limited freq. range mono rear channels), not Dolby Digital (full freq. on all 5 channels). There are no digital audio inputs (coaxial or optical). Also, it is 100 watts x 2 for the front channels, and 10 watts x 2 for the rear channels. So any DVD or VHS with a Dolby Digital or Dolby Surround track can be sent via the stereo analog outputs and decoded and played back through your receiver. It also has Stadium and Hall effects for 2 channel music. If you can't get the Radio Shack receiver to work (maybe give a call to Radio Shack), you could give Kenwood tech support a call to see if you should hook up 2 pairs of speakers to the amp.
Old 2007-07-25, 07:40 PM
542.43 GB/1.29 TB/2.43

I learned it's the fuse when I pulled it out to check.

Thanks for the information. I'll remember that. Might buy a Dolby Digital surround sound reciever.

And the Kenwood HAS two outputs for speakers.

And is there a way to do Surround Sound without a surround sound reciever? I have an adapter that takes RCA's and turns them into 3 3.5mm jacks for computer surround sound speakers. In fact, that's what it came with.

Last edited by Al FS; 2007-07-25 at 07:46 PM.
Old 2007-07-25, 09:55 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You're welcome! If you can, get a receiver with DTS (a lot less lossy than Dolby Digital) as well, a lot of shows on TTD and elsewhere use DTS. A lot of movies also use DTS. A 5.1 analog input would be a good idea too, for DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray's high definition lossless audio codecs, and future high-def audio formats.
Old 2007-07-25, 10:13 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Maybe if your computer soundcard had six outputs for speakers, and you hooked up a computer subwoofer/satellite system to your comp, you could get surround sound that way. But it won't sound as good and will probably be more expensive than buying a receiver and hooking it up to your current speakers.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble