The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-26, 09:58 AM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I threw up a Notice. If people are interested in stating their opinion, they should now have a direct link here.

No scaring off the new users guys!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-26, 09:59 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Electric View Post
There are some artists that allow snail mail trading, but not torrents. Also there are some of us that may still dabble in the analog realm. Lets not give up on it; digital is still improving and it is the old analog recordings that the remasters have to come from. Additionally, there are a few of us that still take the tube mics and Reels out for a show.
yes, I agree
Old 2011-01-26, 10:31 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Electric View Post
There are some artists that allow snail mail trading, but not torrents. Also there are some of us that may still dabble in the analog realm. Lets not give up on it; digital is still improving and it is the old analog recordings that the remasters have to come from. Additionally, there are a few of us that still take the tube mics and Reels out for a show.
yes, I agree
not sure how this pertains to the discussion at hand, but i completely agree GE
Old 2011-01-26, 11:15 AM
Political Hack
10.32 GB/32.56 GB/3.16

It seems to me that a lot of hte lounge negativity really pertains to a couple threads (ie who`s entitled or washed up, etc.). I find it interesting that the same people with 5 or 6 aliases in the lounge that fight can comfortably coexist within the context of the political forum. Considering how heated politics get in general, it`s surprising that the politics forum remains the sane younger brother to the lounge.

Threads such as the nostalgia thread, the video game one, etc don`t get crazy. We basically have a couple back and forth threads that get a lot of the attention, but for the most part, the lounge continues like any other message board. People post the latest youtube video, or a funny news story.

Personally, as much as I don`t participate in them, I enjoy reading the arguments between Toys and Freezer, as well as their tags.

I don`t see much need to increase moderation. I see a thread that gets boring as I define that, I stop reading it. I went through a period where I never read the lounge, lately I`ve found a bunch of threads I regularly post (and hopefully contribute) to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman
You are more elite than anybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Does it bother you that you have so much in common with Karl Rove?
Old 2011-01-26, 12:51 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

the freezer stuff goes in cycles... and is mostly entertaining. I'm not sure he gets much more out of line than anyone else, overall. Maybe a bit.

On the topic of combining the Lounge / Piano bar / Political forums, I think those have very good reason to stay separate. When politics began creeping into everyday discussion a few years ago, it because quite obvious a split was needed to keep the political BS out of the lounge and allow people to completely ignore it, if they wished.

Same with the Piano Bar... it's a fairly clean place for music discussion. The Lounge keeps the BS out of the Piano Bar for people who wish to ignore both non-music-related threads and political threads.
Old 2011-01-26, 12:59 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
the freezer stuff goes in cycles... and is mostly entertaining. I'm not sure he gets much more out of line than anyone else, overall. Maybe a bit.

On the topic of combining the Lounge / Piano bar / Political forums, I think those have very good reason to stay separate. When politics began creeping into everyday discussion a few years ago, it because quite obvious a split was needed to keep the political BS out of the lounge and allow people to completely ignore it, if they wished.

Same with the Piano Bar... it's a fairly clean place for music discussion. The Lounge keeps the BS out of the Piano Bar for people who wish to ignore both non-music-related threads and political threads.
I agree on the separation between those 3, as they are indeed topical forums and are very informative and much would get lost in the lounge, regardless of the BS staying or going. The fact that they run so much differently is one of the reasons I think it wouldn't be hard to keep the BS out of there too.

Like stated before, a lot of the people in there act differently in the lounge than they do in those forums, I think that is partly because we have allowed it to be that way. And allowed it selectively.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:01 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
the freezer stuff goes in cycles... and is mostly entertaining
Maybe, but .....

Quote:
# Do not just decide to attack someone. If someone insulted you a month ago, who cares, we don't want to hear about it. If someone insulted you on another site, we don't care, don't bring it over here or you may be told just how much the others don't want to hear about it. If you don't like another user, fine, then ignore them, but don't continually insult them because the rest of us don't want to hear about it.
# No stalking - don't take your personal differences from one thread to another. And especially don't take it out of The Lounge.

I think Art has been on both sides of these rules being broken, and again if you aren't going to address both sides, then you can't address one. You can not do anything about Art breaking these rules if you are not going to do something about others breaking them against Art. Staff again, included.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:07 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

correct.
Freezer is a lounge character.
He was once banned from the lounge for a long time.
He simply posted the stuff in other places, though less-often.

It wasn't really the kind of offense someone should be permanently banned for, so we let him back into the lounge. Problem went away.
This is what the Lounge is for.
Piano Bar is for more serious music discussion.
Political is for that.
The Lounge gets everything else.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:18 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
correct.
Freezer is a lounge character.
He was once banned from the lounge for a long time.
He simply posted the stuff in other places, though less-often.

It wasn't really the kind of offense someone should be permanently banned for, so we let him back into the lounge. Problem went away.
This is what the Lounge is for.
Piano Bar is for more serious music discussion.
Political is for that.
The Lounge gets everything else.
But it still continues.

And with ample provocation from others. They were not addressed/handled or banned the way Art was, were they? Maybe they were.

Have you been talked to about trolling Art. Has Steve? Or anyone else. I know I never was and was just a guilty of trolling Art as are a handful of other users. Fun, maybe. Counterproductive, yes.

So of course, he isn't going to just sit and take the shit. So it continues on and on. And is clearly against posted rules, on both sides.

So IMO, either adjust the rules to state something to the effect of It may be a good idea to befriend the staff or become staff, that way the rules will be very flexible for you'

Or just remove the very few, as stated above -about 1%, just crap activities.

Delete it, move it, whatever.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:24 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I simply dish back at Art what he dishes out. He's a big boy. Can take it.

Have a look at how many other users I troll... (zero). Same with Toys.

Freezer simply trolls everyone, except powder & monk. Neither of them post much anymore, so you can't blame Freezer.

It has already been shown, time and time again, that freezer will do this kind of thing in cycles. He'll chill for months, then back at it. Seems like you want to ban him for it and I don't necessarily agree with that.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:28 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
So IMO, either adjust the rules to state something to the effect of It may be a good idea to befriend the staff or become staff, that way the rules will be very flexible for you'

That is an unfair and uninformed statement.

I like TVHead and think he is a valuable contributor... but ask him how many of his posts I have deleted because they were over the line. It sets him off rampages from time to time. He doesn't get any more breaks someon nWo, who everyone seems to want ban.

I will tell you this, when you start deleting people's posts, they stop posting because they begin to feel like they are wasting their time if their stuff might just disappear because someone else didnt like it.

That's a shitty way to run a discussion forum and it is destructive.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:41 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
That is your opinion and quite honestly you are one of the ones I am referring to. I like you and most of what I see you post and the way I have seen you mod is pretty much a what you see is what you get, great way to be. Everyone quickly realizes where you stand.

The other side though James is, when someone pisses you off or you appear to not like them, you seem to post after them often and IMO take those differences from one thread to another.

I know I can't bring this up without pissing a few off and I will say I feel that you are one of the ones from the beginning that has responded and participated in the discussion. I appreciate that.

Quote:
I like TVHead and think he is a valuable contributor... but ask him how many of his posts I have deleted because they were over the line.
I do not doubt that. I agree and do like TV as well. I fought for him not to be banned along with some others in the beginning here and at STG. But I also think for the most part TVs over the top posts are reactionary.

Again I think TV has been on both sides as well. Trolling and being trolled. So you can't really single him out anymore than you can single Art out as being a problem user, they are just acting within the environment in the same way others are and seemingly within what is acceptable in the lounge.

Quote:
I will tell you this, when you start deleting people's posts, they stop posting because they begin to feel like they are wasting their time if their stuff might just disappear because someone else didnt; like it.

That's a shitty was to run a discussion forum and it is destructive.
I have modded enough and been an admin at 2 sites, and tried many things from heavy handed to hands off, I can tell you by allowing the rules to be broken, and participating in breaking the rules if you are on staff. It is also a shitty way to run a discussion forum and it is destructive too.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:52 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Seems like you want to ban him for it and I don't necessarily agree with that.
Nope. Not at all.

I do not wish for anyone to be banned right now and would suggest that if the rules were to be enforced more, that it be a subtle slow change and give some users some ample time to see where they fall before anyone gets banned.

I think some of the users that troll will stop if they see an effort from the staff to put a stop to the negative trolling.

I do differentiate between negative and positive trolling. Really quick example, Rob calling me buzz_kill and giving me a hard time, positive trolling.

If I did have a problem with it though, I would talk to him and then talk to the staff, and he should be addressed and temp banned if it did not stop, then banned for good if he kept it up. As it would fall under taking issues across multiple threads and stalking.

But I do not have an issue with Rob, I know he is just old and crotchety

So obviously the trolling would need to be addressed by the people that are being trolled. Many do not mind, some do. I do think it has gone above just trolling and into a gray area of bullying and the recipients have no choice but to leave or dish it right back.
Old 2011-01-26, 01:56 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is your opinion and quite honestly you are one of the ones I am referring to.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Just because I talk shit back to people, I am showing favoritism to others?

Talking shit does not equate to abusing mod rights. I don;t know how you are drawing that link. I don't edit or delete their posts. I conduct myself like any other member, and I moderate the Audio Torrents area + related technical discussions.

That's how I think moderators should behave... like everyone else - not like some condescending Superman. How many friends does Superman have? None.

Moderators that participate in all aspects of the site and interact with the other members are much better able to do the job, imo, than someone that simply lurks until something comes up.
Old 2011-01-26, 02:03 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. Just because I talk shit back to people, I am showing favoritism to others?

Talking shit does not equate to abusing mod rights. I don;t know how you are drawing that link. I don't edit or delete their posts. I conduct myself like any other member, and I moderate the Audio Torrents area + related technical discussions.

That's how I think moderators should behave... like everyone else - not like some condescending Superman. How many friends does Superman have? None.

Moderators that participate in all aspects of the site and interact with the other members are much better able to do the job, imo, than someone that simply lurks until something comes up.
I hear you and my opinion of you has changed considerably since this discussion started and as others I respect have come to your defense. Sorry if I offended you. I would put you in the 'cares enough to talk about it' category. You are a class act on that level

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions