The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-15, 09:43 AM
19.22 GB/28.90 GB/1.50

Azureus Help Needed

Greetings.....I've been having problems uploading and downloading. I downloaded a new client, BitComet, and I could download, but not upload. Someone in this forum questioned the propriety of BitComet and recommended I try Azureus. Always wanting to do the right thing, I downloaded Azureus. Problem is, during installation, at one point I'm asked to run a test of my port. In the box it says 6881, and when I hit "Test" I get "NAT error." Could this be my problem? Any ideas how to fix it? If anyone here could guide this computer idiot through the process of fixing this, I would be immensely grateful.

-Bob
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-15, 09:54 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Azureus Help Needed

Bob, do you know what ports you forwarded through your firewall and router? That is the port number you should put into Azureus (instead of 6881). If you think 6881 is the correct port, then it isn't properly forwarded either through your firewall (I'm pretty sure I recall you saying you were on XP and had it turned on) or through your router.

Also, I think once you start a torrent on Azureus, if you want to do that ANT test again, you need to stop the torrent and restart Azureus.

Old 2005-03-15, 10:09 AM
19.22 GB/28.90 GB/1.50

Thanks again for the quick response.....

Having used BitComet to download yesterday, I noticed on the stats page that it said the port it was going through was 14385. I put that into the Test box and got the same NAT error. And, yeah, I am properly forwarded through the firewall, but I am not sure about the router and have no clue how to do that. If someone could be kind enough to instruct me how I think I could get it done.

I haven't started any torrents on Azureus because I figured I'd get the same problem with the failure to upload with this NAT error.
Old 2005-03-15, 10:45 AM
spontabmark
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

you can still downlaod and upload with the NAT error but you just can't connect to as many peers
Old 2005-03-15, 10:57 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Here's a good page to help you with forwarding your ports through your router: http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

First you'll need to get your local ip address (it will look something like 192.168.1.xxx). You can get that by doing ipconfig in your terminal.

Old 2005-03-15, 11:02 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Yes, the NAT error will cause you to be unable to connect to as many peers, and thus may affect the total up/down speed. It took me a while to get this ironed out on XP, but what it came down to was that I didn't have the XP firewall opened properly. Double check that you indeed have the Windows firewall opened correctly for Azureus.

1. Open the Windows Control Panel
2. Select Windows Firewall
3. Make sure the firewall is turned "ON"
4. Make sure "Don't Allow Exceptions" is NOT checked
5. Click on the "exceptions" tab at the top
6. Click "Add Program"
7. Select the Azureus executable program file
8. Click "Add Port"
9. Name it BitTorrent and open port 6881.
10. You may optionally open all ports from 6881-6889, but Azureus should be able to work with only 6881 opened.
11. Click "OK"
12. Reboot

Now go into the Azureus setup (make sure there are no torrents in the queue first) and try again. This SHOULD take care of the NAT error, and allow you to get the most out of your connection. It is also possible that your ISP is limiting your upload or your access to certain ports, in which case you might be screwed completely. Try that, and let me know how it works...it's what finally made Azureus/XP work for me, and I now get green lights on every torrent and easily max my rated upload speed of 45 KBps.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-03-15, 11:04 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Re-reading your posts in this and the other thread, it occurs to me that you may not have your router configured to allow two-way communication through port 6881-6889. This wil most certainly cause an issue with speeds and give you the much dreaded NAT error. Have you visited www.portforward.com? You'll need to be sure that the router is allowing incoming and outgoing requests for connections through those ports for BT to work reliably.
What's never been,
Old 2005-03-15, 11:17 AM
spontabmark
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i'm moving to university soon and will be connected to the uni network for internet access. i'm guessing they will block p2p ports, so will this mean that i just get a NAT error and don't connect to as many peers or not be able to download anything at all? would changing to a nonblocked port fix it or won't there be a way around it. i dunno if i'll be able to survive a year with p2p
Old 2005-03-15, 11:28 AM
19.22 GB/28.90 GB/1.50

OK, I followed your directions on the Windows Firewall.....and I still get NAT error on the Azureus install. You know, the odd thing is, I've been doing this since June last year without any problems. Uploading and downloading has been awesome. No problems. Then, all of a sudden, these problems. No changes that I know have been made. I was able to upload at high speeds, now not at all. I went to the website you suggested, but it's just a little beyond my capabilities......I have someone who will help though.....

Thanks much for the help.....it is very appreciated.
Old 2005-03-15, 03:31 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Well, if things changed suddenly, bear in mind that it could possibly be due to your ISP blocking p2p ports.....
What's never been,

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble