The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2016-07-22, 08:51 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

Re: Modīs, please allowed MP4 video to trade on TTD

stricktly ? lol why ...rofl ... omergawd there must be pokemon here somewhere O_o
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-07-22, 10:46 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Nah... just good ol' fashioned german racism.

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Old 2016-07-22, 11:45 PM
An original TTD shithead
0.00 KB/9.66 GB/Inf.

Sounds nore as a new stupid form
Old 2016-07-23, 05:53 AM
An original TTD shithead
0.00 KB/9.66 GB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Samīs Army View Post
Sounds more as a new stupid form
fifm
Old 2016-07-24, 08:04 AM
}{eywood, copyright fighter
TTD VIP
550.18 GB/2.40 TB/4.46

Location: too close to Niagara Falls to see what the big deal is

Interesting not to allow something that may be the native format of the recording. All videos taken with my phone are mp4 from the get-go. To share them here they'd have to be re-encoded to mpeg2, which would create a loss in quality. That's defeating the purpose of this site: maintaining the highest quality. I've got whole concerts recorded with a phone that can't be shared here, and they are excellent quality.

The same goes for TV captures. The DVR may save as an mp4, so any conversion to an acceptable format is creating quality loss. Original formats should be honored no matter what they are. I personally am rooting for mkv to be allowed as well, because that's how I add the audio made with my recorder to the video taken with my phone without re-encoding the video.

I've personally never understood the industry's use of mpeg 2 as a codec for manufactured discs. That thing is from the 90s and totally obsolete. We wouldn't need 50 gb bluray discs if they allowed x264 and x265 codecs to be used on DVDs. All that bloated data on the bluray would fit in a few gigs
To enforce copyright laws is to prevent people from making peaceful use of the information they possess. If one has acquired the information legitimately it is a violation of freedom of speech to prevent one from using it, reproducing it, trading it. Information is a universal, existing in other people's minds and other people's property, and over these the originator has no legitimate sovereignty. Copyright laws extort from the public a reward enormously in excess of the labor measure of an entertainers' services, making them, in essence, discriminatory against anyone paid a single time for a job. The only way there will ever be balance is when we are either all paid ad infinitum for work we did years ago, or when they are not. Until then I will fight for the freedom of information by challenging copyright law every chance I get. Join the Pirate Party and help make a difference.
Old 2016-07-24, 09:04 AM
28.96 GB/16.20 GB/0.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeace View Post
Interesting not to allow something that may be the native format of the recording. All videos taken with my phone are mp4 from the get-go. To share them here they'd have to be re-encoded to mpeg2, which would create a loss in quality. That's defeating the purpose of this site: maintaining the highest quality. I've got whole concerts recorded with a phone that can't be shared here, and they are excellent quality.

The same goes for TV captures. The DVR may save as an mp4, so any conversion to an acceptable format is creating quality loss. Original formats should be honored no matter what they are. I personally am rooting for mkv to be allowed as well, because that's how I add the audio made with my recorder to the video taken with my phone without re-encoding the video.

I've personally never understood the industry's use of mpeg 2 as a codec for manufactured discs. That thing is from the 90s and totally obsolete. We wouldn't need 50 gb bluray discs if they allowed x264 and x265 codecs to be used on DVDs. All that bloated data on the bluray would fit in a few gigs
THIS!
Old 2016-07-25, 10:16 AM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

i to think mp4 is poo and we should not allow videos from phones are not excellent quality but ok quality at best. your idea of excellent quality is not our same quality standards.
need i say more if so lmk the truth is in the pudding get a real cam and go get sum real bands/music and upload away... as i have and many others here have.

mp4 is for iphones what mkv/ .3gp is to droids

and its ok at best not excellent just yet

and yeah my s7 takes some great video for what it is...but its far from excellent
except on a tiny screen most of us have BIG HDTV's and when you stretch that mp4 to fit it looks like dog shit(excuse my french)

rock on - unidecker
Old 2016-07-25, 10:51 AM
TTD VIP
550.18 GB/2.40 TB/4.46

depends on the settings, man. If you leave it at default, sure. But if you crank up everything to max you get quality rivaling anything out there. And not allowing phone videos basically means denying the existence of a lot of shows. I'll take a mediocre quality video of something over nothing at all any day
To enforce copyright laws is to prevent people from making peaceful use of the information they possess. If one has acquired the information legitimately it is a violation of freedom of speech to prevent one from using it, reproducing it, trading it. Information is a universal, existing in other people's minds and other people's property, and over these the originator has no legitimate sovereignty. Copyright laws extort from the public a reward enormously in excess of the labor measure of an entertainers' services, making them, in essence, discriminatory against anyone paid a single time for a job. The only way there will ever be balance is when we are either all paid ad infinitum for work we did years ago, or when they are not. Until then I will fight for the freedom of information by challenging copyright law every chance I get. Join the Pirate Party and help make a difference.
Old 2016-07-25, 11:39 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

our position has always been that mediocre quality has its place, somewhere else.

Because you can get that just about anywhere, we've never seen any reason to modify the original intent and mission of this site - high quality, fan created, media sharing - to include mediocre stuff.

We've discussed mp4 before and it's a bag of worms. All depends on the profile used to encode - AND - most importantly, how in the world we would moderate that.

MP4 with h.264 set to higher profile encoding levels looks wonderful and blows away DVD, for sure. DVDs can be created with lossless 48kHz PCM audio, though. You can encode ALAC in an MP4 wrapper with h.264 to get lossless. Usually, you'll find some form of AAC which, when encoded ~320 or so, is very nice, is not lossless.

Hard for video mods to tell what the hell is happening inside an mp4 wrapper, short of downloading it and analyzing every single one. That won't be happening.

SO, it's pretty much allow MP4 and trust people to keep the quality up - OR - continue suggesting they be shared elsewhere.

So far, we've landed on the latter, every time.
Old 2016-07-25, 11:46 AM
TTD VIP
550.18 GB/2.40 TB/4.46

Strange, since this site is full of trustworthy uploaders who would certainly maintain a high standard.

Most DVDs don't use lossless audio. It's part of the tradeoff a fan makes. "If you can see it you won't notice the lossy audio" seems to be the POV of most encoders
Old 2016-08-02, 09:22 PM
1.31 TB/7.89 TB/6.03

The trustworthy uploaders are the exception not the rule. With the tidal wave of uploads if Mp4 were allowed, would surely bury and shut down this humble site. With thousands of members suddenly uploading the new format, the moderators would have to be expanded, some sort of Go-No Go rule be implemented, and in short . . . a huge pain in the ass. Pardon my french. The torrent sites are vanishing as it is, why fix something that already works? . . . My 2 cents . . .

Last edited by sonofedg; 2016-08-02 at 09:31 PM.
Old 2016-08-08, 08:11 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofedg View Post
The trustworthy uploaders are the exception not the rule. With the tidal wave of uploads if Mp4 were allowed, would surely bury and shut down this humble site. .
There have been 10 video torrents uploaded in the past 13 days. I think this site needs some new blood and uploaders.

MPEG-2 is a dead technology. I see some people even uploading Blu-rays that are encoded in MPEG-2 - it's laughable. H.264, H.265, AVC are the new codecs that people should be encoding to.
Old 2016-08-08, 08:53 AM
TTD VIP
550.18 GB/2.40 TB/4.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
MPEG-2 is a dead technology. I see some people even uploading Blu-rays that are encoded in MPEG-2 - it's laughable. H.264, H.265, AVC are the new codecs that people should be encoding to.
I couldn't agree more. mpeg was an obsolete codec when DVDs were invented. At this point we were already using divx and xvid. I don't know what compelled the industry to use it. We wouldn't need 50gb blurays if it weren't for the bloated mpegs. It would have saved a lot of development time and research, plus all the new equipment everyone needed, if they just worked out a better codec to fit HD onto DVD
Old 2016-08-09, 02:05 AM
An original TTD shithead
0.00 KB/9.66 GB/Inf.

Come on god of mods, change the rules
Old 2016-09-17, 06:54 AM
28.96 GB/16.20 GB/0.56

I'm not surprised with this ignorance. Because there are still many people in the trading scene whom call DVD and BD as "lossless" and mpg (hahahahahaha), mp4, avi (funny because even this container support uncompressed and lossless codecs), mov (this one too), wmv as "lossy". Even all of them are lossy as fuck (exceptions noted).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions