The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-05, 12:32 PM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

Re: Non PAL Floyd Live8 PLEASE!!!!!

the thing is the only non-webcast uncut broadcasts of the Floyd set were in PAL, so if a NTSC version pops up then it's a PAL>NTSC transfer which is lossy and isn't allowed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-05, 05:14 PM
175.79 GB/190.55 GB/1.08

Just watched the NTSC DVD (lossy source) I linked to above and it looks and sounds bitchin! (That means good.) Well worth the download.

Answering the "what's wrong with PAL" question: nothing. Except that TVs in North America and many other countries do not support the format. The issues people are having are *not* region code issues...many of us simply cannot play PAL DVDs on our NTSC equipment.

US DVD'ers, the XviD>NTSC DVD conversion is a good one, and the DVD is solid. Get it now from the Leech's Lair while there are still some seeds present...

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3352388
Old 2005-07-05, 05:40 PM
133.44 GB/90.50 GB/0.68

Hey, all you North Americans... If you are downloading this on your PC, you should have no problem playing the PAL stuff... just use your computer to play it. PowerDVD and all those programs recognise PAL just fine. Works for me...
Old 2005-07-05, 05:58 PM
vegas_jay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I used to skip PAL DVDs because I didn't think it would work with my player/TV. But I got one by accident and it worked just fine. Since then, I found out that it's a pretty common feature on DVD players to handle either format.
Old 2005-07-06, 07:34 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

*alot* of DVD players in the Us say they are NTSC only, but will play PAL just fine [a lil lie they continue to tell us for smoe reason]...the only way to find out is to burn a disc and try it...

if not, you can always try Rherron's method using IFOEdit to "trick" yer player into thinking the disc is NTSC...works for some, not for others...here's how:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...t=IFOEdit+NTSC
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221928

note that doing a PAL to NTSC is a "lossy conversion", so keep the PAL disc for trading, and the converted one for personal viewing. Also, PAL>NTSC and vice versa is *NOT* allowed on TTD for seeding, due to lossiness.
Old 2005-07-06, 07:37 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

oh, and check out Lynne's recommendation re: Apex DVD players...you can get one for under 50 buckz at walmart and they'll play anything...if yer a real videophile with a multi-thousand dollar system, the Apex players might not hold up to yer standards, but i'm guessing most wouldn't be able to tell the difference
Old 2005-07-07, 08:34 AM
150.66 GB/68.55 GB/0.46

The Harvested Guys just made a NTSC DVD which is supposed to be the ultimate Floyd @ Live 8 DVD release:

NTSC DVD of Pink Floyd at Live 8, London, 2nd July 2005

Made from a combination of the BBC's digital broadcast & Marc Olivier-Becks excellent slightly re mastered FM radio broadcast audio!
The quality of both audio and video are excellent, its authored in NTSC with simple motion menus.
Bonus features include stills slide show plus some excellent video clips shot from the front of the stage at the sound check the night before see the guys onstage together for the very FIRST time not the second time !!

DVD will be winging its way to the usual suspects over the next 2 days, trade away and enjoy guys, i havent named the DVD but ide agree with Ron on it being called "Better L8 Than Never", if someone wants to knowck some artwork up that would bre great.
Old 2005-07-07, 08:48 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix
The Harvested Guys just made a NTSC DVD which is supposed to be the ultimate Floyd @ Live 8 DVD release:
Being a PAL->NTSC conversion, would that DVD be allowed on TTD?
Old 2005-07-07, 09:35 AM
175.79 GB/190.55 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
Can someone point to the spot in the "rules" where a proper PAL>NTSC is not allowed. I'm as much of a digital purist as the next guy, but come on... Let's pay a little attention to the tools and talent that go into a seed, and not just a partial view of misunderstood specs. I've seen many DVDs round these (and other) parts that sure enough are high bitrate, but absolute dogshit encoding...I've made VCDs that look better. Or classic video sourced from old VHS with lo-fi mono soundtracks, yet it has to be spread across multiple discs because this marginal audio is presented in full "lossless" PCM glory. Hey, it's lossles, it's gotta be good!

Props are due to all seed creators. But EXTRA props to those with the right tools who know how to use them.

Converting between PAL and NTSC is not trivial, and when done properly should be embraced by "the scene". There's a hell of a lot more to DVD authoring than "what's the bitrate...what's the bitrate...what's the bitrate..."

That said, I look forward to a Harvested upgrade to the XviD-sourced (but great looking) NTSC Live8 DVD. It would be a shame if people here missed out due to technical ignorance.
Old 2005-07-07, 10:19 AM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
it's possible, but the bigger thing would be if they provide more source info with the distributed dvd, that would lead to the final decision of whether of not it is allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Old 2005-07-07, 12:49 PM
108.55 GB/299.86 GB/2.76

In my experience with PAL DVDs I have 4 DVD players. One is a older Panasonic which won't even play CDRs and also will not play PAL. It will only play NTSC DVD-r. My other DVD players are a Magnovox DVD+r recorder that will not play PAL either but play everything else just fine. My two DVD players that will play PAL DVDs are my Apex AD-1200 and strangly enough my X-Box. Both of these players have had no problems playing PAL discs.

peace
Old 2005-09-09, 10:05 AM
fitz1888
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

NTSC to PAL

Newb Question: My home DVD player only plays PAL (Region 2) DVD's or region free DVD's. If i download a Video torrent from this site that is listed as NTSC and i burn it to DVD as a PAL disc will it play on my DVD player?

Thanks, i just don't want to download a 4GB file for it not to work.
Old 2005-09-09, 10:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: NTSC to PAL

no...you will need to re-encode it [alot of work nad possible loss of quality]...but here's a trick that has worked for alot of folks, try this first:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rherron
You can use a program called IFOEdit to sort of trick your DVD player into playing PAL DVDs, and it is VERY, VERY easy to do.

Using IFOEdit, open .IFO files. The program will have two windows of information. In the bottom window there will be lots of lines of text. Look for the lines (there will be 1 or 2 or more depending upon which IFO file you are looking at) of text containing the word "PAL." Double click those lines. A dialog box will open. There is a button to select PAL or NTSC. Select NTSC. Save the file. It will ask if you want to change the .BUP files as well. Answer "Yes." You're done. Burn away.

This is not a true conversion (PAL to NTSC) but changing the info files like this will trick many DVD players into believing this is an NTSC recording. I have heard it will not work on all DVD players but it works great on mine. No problems whatsoever. It does nothing to alter the actual video files, so there is no deterioration of the quality. It is my understanding that many (most?) newer DVD players are capable of playing both NTSC and PAL though they are not sold that way (perhaps because of pressure from the movie industry because it helps make it easier for them to maintain its region encoding system -- just a guess).

The worst thing that could happen is that it wouldn't work on your player and you'd have wasted $.50 cents on a DVD+R. Back up every file in the "VIDEO_TS" folder that is not a video (VOB) file and if this doesn't work for you you can restore the folder to it's original state (this is also a good idea in case you ever wish to trade the show or reseed it, etc.).

IFOEdit is free, and available here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/v...ols/ifoedit.cfm.

Rob
Old 2005-09-09, 10:14 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

forgot to note--the above is for yer personal viewing...keep the orig show for archiving/trading/seeding...the "edited" file set should *only* be used for yer personal usage
Old 2005-09-09, 02:48 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1888
Newb Question: My home DVD player only plays PAL (Region 2) DVD's or region free DVD's. If i download a Video torrent from this site that is listed as NTSC and i burn it to DVD as a PAL disc will it play on my DVD player?

Thanks, i just don't want to download a 4GB file for it not to work.
DVDs seeded on this page are (should be) all region free.

Any even remotely modern PAL DVD player is able to play NTSC discs and convert the video for output on a PAL TV system on the fly upon playback.

Just burn one to try and find out whether they work for you, chances are that you won't have any problem playing NTSC discs whatsoever.

Edit: And for the sake of your own sanity you should entirely disregard what AAR.oner said for now. Maybe come back to that if you actually run into problems when trying to play NTSC discs.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble