The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-05, 11:48 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Firewalled: Again????

Yes, I am using the official bittorrent program. Just wondering about the box below where I entered the port number 24907. I wonder if that is doing the trouble when I reboot?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-05, 11:49 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveferals
Version 4.20.9

Should the "enable automatic port mapping" box be checked in the settings of bittorrent????
Disable Automatic Port Mapping. And don't put anything in IP to report to tracker. The port you have in that window is the one you need to forward. Is that port 50000 or some other port (or no port?).

Old 2006-09-05, 11:57 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I forwarded port 24907 since that is working. 50000 is still probably listed but firewalled? 24907 is listed in my bt box. Not sure what you mean about not reporting to IP tracker?
Old 2006-09-06, 10:50 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Firewalled after reboot-again...

Eve after doing all of the things suggested. This sucks!
Old 2006-09-06, 11:26 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I hate to keep bringing it up, but you don't have your bt client set up correctly. It has changed ports on you again. You have it set to randomly pick ports. May I suggest changing to uTorrent or Azureus also. The bt client you are using is not talking to the tracker properly (which is why you see yourself listed two or three times on the Peers List). Perhaps switching clients and setting it up correcly will eliminate this problem. Also, you are leeching a *lot* of shows at a time. You aren't going to get good speeds doing that, nor are you going to increase your ratio.

Old 2006-09-06, 11:27 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Disable Automatic Port Mapping. And don't put anything in IP to report to tracker. The port you have in that window is the one you need to forward. Is that port 50000 or some other port (or no port?).

It appears that if I disable automatic port mapping (even though I have the correct port in the box) upon restart I am firewalled. If I enable it I am NOT firewalled.
Old 2006-09-06, 09:48 PM
40.05 GB/41.95 GB/1.05

Or you might wan to try bittornado hxxp://www.bittornado.com/ very similar to your client. you just go to prefs and choose your port range> I usally keep about ten in a row opened.
ex 52113 to 52123.
-t
Old 2006-09-06, 10:03 PM
40.05 GB/41.95 GB/1.05

Heres 2 screnshots
hxxp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1124818/bittornado1.JPG
hxxp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1124818/bittornado2.JPG
I know I got to read the rules about hot linking and posting images to find out if its cool
-t
Old 2006-09-06, 11:02 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I hate to keep bringing it up, but you don't have your bt client set up correctly. It has changed ports on you again. You have it set to randomly pick ports. May I suggest changing to uTorrent or Azureus also. The bt client you are using is not talking to the tracker properly (which is why you see yourself listed two or three times on the Peers List). Perhaps switching clients and setting it up correcly will eliminate this problem. Also, you are leeching a *lot* of shows at a time. You aren't going to get good speeds doing that, nor are you going to increase your ratio.

I know but if I enable port mapping I get firewalled-see previous note. When I check box enable I am NOT firewalled even with the port number I have set..confusing.
I may switch to those suggested below and see if I have any better luck. Going to finish downloads though. Any suggestions on what I should use for port numbers for bit-tornado or the other one??
Old 2006-09-06, 11:03 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I know but if I enable port mapping I get firewalled-see previous note. When I check box enable I am NOT firewalled even with the port number I have set..confusing.
I may switch to those suggested below and see if I have any better luck. Going to finish downloads though. Any suggestions on what I should use for port numbers for bit-tornado or the other one??

I am leeching as much as I and uploading in equal amounts!
Old 2006-09-06, 11:04 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman88
Or you might wan to try bittornado hxxp://www.bittornado.com/ very similar to your client. you just go to prefs and choose your port range> I usally keep about ten in a row opened.
ex 52113 to 52123.
-t

Thank You!
Old 2006-09-06, 11:08 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I didn't think the ratio thing was important here? That is why I like this site-no competition or stress is what I was hoping for. I do B&P's to make up for my leeching. Until I learn how to share by torrenting this is how I am going to do it. First of all I need to get a damn client to work!!!
Old 2006-09-06, 11:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
OK, if that works for you, then go for it. I've made my suggestions and if they aren't working then you need to do what does work for you. I think I said before that I don't use a PC for bt, so I can be wrong about stuff for PC users. I'm just concerned about this constant change of ports that your bt client is making. It just doesn't sound good to me. (and, like I also said, your client doens't talk well with the tracker since it constantly changes ports.)

Old 2006-09-06, 11:39 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
OK, if that works for you, then go for it. I've made my suggestions and if they aren't working then you need to do what does work for you. I think I said before that I don't use a PC for bt, so I can be wrong about stuff for PC users. I'm just concerned about this constant change of ports that your bt client is making. It just doesn't sound good to me. (and, like I also said, your client doens't talk well with the tracker since it constantly changes ports.)

Which client do you use Lynne. You are using a MAC?
Old 2006-09-07, 12:02 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, I use Azureus. I love it. But, I know that many people on PCs have moved from Azureus to uTorrent. I do have an (old - NT) PC that I use for testing some site stuff. I have uTorrent on there so I am semi-familiar with it. But, I've never installed regular BitTorrent on there, so I'm not familiar with what the PC version is like (I do have the Mac version, but it isn't the same version number so I would guess we Mac-ers got left behind again).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble