The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-20, 02:56 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Question DVD From MPG

Is there a way I can verify that a dvd torrent (it has the usual vob files) I have was not converted from an mpeg, wav, avi, etc. files? I've seen a lot of the same torrents on other sites available in all these formats and am just curious that what I'm hoping is a true dvd did not start life as one of these other formats. It is very hard to "see" or "hear" the difference from one show I have in both an mpeg and dvd format although the mpeg version is much smaller file size.Thnx.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-20, 03:15 PM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Re: DVD From MPG

VOB is a container for mpg format/file. It's rather hard to state if an mpg file was not twice re-encoded but of course if not done well it can be blurry, may have visible compression artefacts (low bitrate). Everything depends on the source material, what codec and in what setting is used to encode to mpg.

Edit: if the mpg file is smaller than VOBs (all VOBs containing the corresponding video and audio) it means that it is encoded in lower bitrate and/or screen size - it can be a VCD or SVCD for example.
Old 2007-12-20, 06:02 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

there's a few tell tale signs that *can* show up if you run an analysis of the vob files [but as pawel said, its not always easy to tell]

if yer on a Mac use MPEG Streamclip [once you've loaded the vob, press OpenApple+I for the specs]

for PC use GSpot

post either the the specs or a screenshot, can't promise it'll turn anything up but might
Old 2007-12-20, 07:43 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Thnx for replying pawel & AAR.oner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Edit: if the mpg file is smaller than VOBs (all VOBs containing the corresponding video and audio) it means that it is encoded in lower bitrate and/or screen size - it can be a VCD or SVCD for example.
Yes it is smaller. Interesting. As I mentioned, I do not "see" or "hear" any difference. And I have this same experience with many other shows I've downloaded in the two formats. This reply leads me to understand that I should notice a difference? Since I do not, why all the fuss and promotion of the dvd/'vob' format? Unless, of course, my experience with this show is an exception to the rule? Seriously, other than the 'dvd' having menus and other 'bells & whistles' I need to decide if it's worth the added cost in hard disk space as well as burning an entire disk with one show instead of multiple shows in the mpeg format.

Could this subject be in the same vein as the the debates I keep reading about regarding mp3's vs. cd-quality formats? Or the old beta vs vhs? etc.? If so, I am confused because in 'those days' I opted for beta and look at what happened -
Old 2007-12-20, 09:38 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

beta is a lot better than VHS but VHS tapes could hold more minutes so I think that was the big factor there.

kind of like the atari 2600 which was supported with new games for about 10yrs (I think '77-'88 iirc). it was not the highest quality system for very long but its the continuing flow of new games that kept it alive.

if you're watching on your computer monitor its a lot harder to see a difference. but if you have one of those new megasize tvs you should be able to see some difference.

some of the stuff even on youtube looks okay so long as you're viewing it at a small enough size.

btw great av

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-12-20, 09:39 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

oh yeah and the other point about beta was that when it became harder to get tapes for it that also made it less popular. who cares if its better if its just sitting there with no new media to put in it?

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-12-20, 11:50 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
... if you're watching on your computer monitor its a lot harder to see a difference. but if you have one of those new megasize tvs you should be able to see some difference.

some of the stuff even on youtube looks okay so long as you're viewing it at a small enough size.
You know, I never even thought about that! Good point. I will check into this and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
btw great av
thnx.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble