The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2023-01-08, 06:38 PM
1.09 TB/2.68 TB/2.47

Bit Torrent client

Hi all

For some reason my (Free version of U torrent Client) to download torrents keeps giving me trouble. I was wondering if someone can recommend a reliable Bit torrent Client. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2023-01-11, 07:12 PM
4.35 TB/150.24 TB/34.55

Re: Bit Torrent client

Utorrent, at least depending on the version, is highly reliable... been using my same version for about a decade, maybe more. Get a hold of Utorrent 2.2.1 and try that. You can also try qbitorrent or deluge. Sometimes the client will help things out but more often is a router matter or even ISP for some.

You did not define "trouble," what issues, where, when etc. If you are talking about trader den only, look at the firewall posts on this same forum, as things here are problematic for many who are not experiencing any issues anywhere else.

If your troubles exceed here, and the remedies noted, detail them and they can surely be troubleshot.
Old 2023-01-14, 05:16 AM
Damned
153.36 GB/1.23 TB/8.19

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
What sort of trouble you are referring to?

I use portable version of utorrent 1.7.7 for ages, not a single issue. However, some modern trackers will not accept it - for them, I have portable qbittorrent 4.3.8.
Old 2023-01-25, 01:08 PM
1.09 TB/2.68 TB/2.47

Smile Re: Bit Torrent client

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruschi View Post
Utorrent, at least depending on the version, is highly reliable... been using my same version for about a decade, maybe more. Get a hold of Utorrent 2.2.1 and try that. You can also try qbitorrent or deluge. Sometimes the client will help things out but more often is a router matter or even ISP for some.

You did not define "trouble," what issues, where, when etc. If you are talking about trader den only, look at the firewall posts on this same forum, as things here are problematic for many who are not experiencing any issues anywhere else.

If your troubles exceed here, and the remedies noted, detail them and they can surely be troubleshot.
Hi Bruschi

With Utorrent I kept getting PUP's and it was slowing my computer down. Since I uninstalled Utorrent and got Torrent Manager everything seems to be fine. Thanks for your response.

Keith
Old 2023-01-25, 02:11 PM
1.27 TB/1.74 TB/1.37

I recommend Transmission (https://transmissionbt.com/) is clean interface and can enable the web interface. Which I use on my internal home network to add torrents or check status from phone.
Old 2023-01-26, 07:16 AM
co9ol
303.62 GB/391.41 GB/1.29

qbittorrent! It's basically a lighter weight rip off of Utorrent.
Old 2023-02-23, 11:13 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

qBittorrent has some major bugs making it unsuitable for downloading more than a few torrents (unstable speeds) and it "stalls" when there are only a few seeders. It has huge memory leaks in some use cases leading to crashes and rechecking your torrents. It can also have torrents randomly disappear.

The ultimate downloader for Windows IMO is uTorrent 2.2.1 with a MLC SSD for the temp folder, and automatically saving to your main drive when done. Max is about 3000 torrents, and up to 900 actively downloading.

MLC SSDs have about 10x higher I/Os per second than a consumer QLC or TLC SSD and lasts 10 to 20 times longer.

The 400GB Intel DC S3XXX series is rated for 5700TBW life but typically lasts up to 32000TBW (you may be gone before it fails). The ones available are server pulls and a barely used one goes for about $35 (new it was like $2000).

uTorrent 3.x has a major bug when more than about 500 torrents are loaded: for unknown reasons, it fails to notify the tracker about all loaded torrents, causing torrents to not be downloaded or seeded. This is not a queue issue as the queue was set high enough to start all torrents.

Issues with 2.2.1:
uTorrent does not like to share its temp folder drive with other apps (including the OS's pagefile). This causes freezing and crashes. Be sure to use a dedicated local drive for your uTorrent temp folder.

If you get an out of memory error on a torrent, immediately stop all torrents. Close the program and restart it. It's a 32bit app and can use all 2GB with a ton of activity over a few days. Under normal use, this rarely happens.

Do not use a network drive without a low global rate (like 1MBytes/sec). If you still get GUI freezing, forget the network drive and set up a local drive. External drives are fine. USB 3.0 or 3.1 typically works great.

If you download to a local drive but auto-move to a network drive, note that the download continues, buffering the data in RAM while the save takes place. If your global rate is high and you're saving torrent is large, you can run out of buffer space and go into disk overload, which can sometimes crash uTorrent (and maybe the OS).

All minor issues and can be worked around. The qBittorrent issues are many years old and the developers have closed most related bug tickets. My guess is they can't reproduce the issues and/or don't know how to fix them, and are hoping a new developer might one day solve the issues.

If qBittorrent works great for you, you've won the bittorrent client lottery.

There are lots of other clients. Some are ok and some are not especially useful. I have yet to find one that is perfect in every test.
Old 2023-02-24, 08:03 AM
swintonboy
62.27 GB/22.57 TB/371.07

Thank you for the explanation. I know now why utorrent wasn't working for me with over 1k torrents seeded. I do get the out of memory issue regularly with 3.6 which I still use for Dime as well as for creating torrents (although I seed with Vuze).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble