The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-08, 09:15 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

A question about speed correction of lossless files

and actually the question is just about everything you could tell me about it as I'm clueless.
I d/l a show > "Michael Hedges 9/21/97 Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA (AUD/?) [SHN]" and it sounds like ol' Michael was suckin' on some helium before he sang....well maybe not that bad , but definitely a higher pitch than anything I've heard of him live/studio.
Also , this is how it sounds on my HDD , not an audio CD-R copy.
I realize this is a show that I've obtained from a different tracker , so it's not really your problem , but I don't think I'll get much help where I got it from , they're swamped with problems.
Even a link to a tutorial would be much appreciated , and any clues as to how I'd know the true speed and pitch , and any software I'd need to perform the correction.
Also , knowing the standard TTD sets for lossless sharing , would you personally share such a speed corrected file , so long as lineage and availability met your criteria ?
Thanks for any help and your time.

"We all got it coming, kid." ~ William Munny

suicide nazi gunslinger blazin' down the hall tonight ~ PJ Stevey

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic View Post
Because we can't get by without [you].
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-08, 03:00 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: A question about speed correction of lossless files

here's a good link to start with...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=2432

personally, i probably would not "seed" the corrected version.
Old 2005-02-08, 03:11 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
here's a good link to start with...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=2432

personally, i probably would not "seed" the corrected version.
haha you beat me to it!

I was just going to link that.

It's your choice if you want to seed the corrected version, just be explicit in you notes in the .txt file and only seed if you feel 100% satisfied and confident with the results.

I haven't made much progress on my show yet, I'll probably bump my thread when I get in the thick of it.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-02-08, 03:47 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Ok , thanks a lot . I was thinking of finding out for sure the key he plays certain tunes in and trying to harmonize that note on my own gtr. w/the sound of the subject files , and kind of go from there , which it seems you pretty much have to do or trust your ears , from what you've shown me. Sounds like a lot of work , and this guy makes up his own tunings , but I think I have a few pieces of gtr. tablature around that showed his tunings on one of the instrumental tracks on this show called "Ragamuffin".
No , I can't play it...very sparse imitation back when I practised day and night !
Thanks for the help fella's !

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Old 2005-02-08, 04:05 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

In foobar2000 you can adjust the pitch and speed of a track in real time as you listen to it. I have used this feature for listening purposes. I would assume that you have to adjust both speed AND pitch if your source was on analog tape.
Old 2005-02-08, 04:05 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Actuall I'm an imbecile , that track ain't on there but some of the others are available as tabs. Also , I'll try to do a better job of searching for a subject before I start a new thread on it in the future....
thanks again...

Quote:
Old 2005-02-08, 04:12 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
In foobar2000 you can adjust the pitch and speed of a track in real time as you listen to it. I have used this feature for listening purposes. I would assume that you have to adjust both speed AND pitch if your source was on analog tape.
thanks , uhclem , I missed that feature in foobar.
so far , the source I'd be working with is on my HDD , but if you mean originally the lineage is too unclear and that's the way the seeder recieved the the fileset and info.'s . thanks for the tip , should make things easier for myself , and Five , for the show he's going to be working on
but , yeah , I'd guess I'd have to do both corrections , speed/pitch , though really , the songs don't seem too fast....maybe someone corrected speed at one point and the pitch stayed the same in the digital conversion ?

Quote:

Last edited by starman714; 2005-02-08 at 04:19 PM.
Old 2005-02-09, 11:22 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
ok , so i used sound touch in foobar and got it where i want it , but when i save it as a playlist , it doesn't save the sound touch effect unless i leave it on in the dsp manager in a way that would effect anything i play unless i manually disable sound touch...i'm not sure how this will or will not transfer into an audio cdr burn. some players you can save a cue sheet that will leave an effect in for that setlist exclusively, i don't know how to do that in foobar , any tips ?
p.s. sound touch is awsome , I had Michael Hedges sounding EXACTLY like Richard Thompson as far as the voice went in Hedges cover of Shell Shock Venus , he's even singing with a U.K./Scottish accent to it ! I almost thought the show was a fake until i pitch corrected again and MH starts talking about his home in Oklahoma...! and of course the differences in gtr. playing. Here's what it looks like for anybody who doesn't know this feature in foobar2000...

Quote:
Old 2005-02-09, 12:08 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

oh , and i forgot to add that i decomped into .wav first , as that is what i'll be burning from...and you go into preferences>playback>dsp manager>sound touch , to open it up , if you have advanced features enabled...

Quote:
Old 2005-02-11, 09:09 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

As for making a true "speed corrected" version, this is not very easy. You have to find a note which you know what it is in the recording, and the adjust the speed until it matches a "true" frequency for that note. This requires very good pitch-accurate ears and quite a bit of time. If you're not experienced with this, pleae do not re-seed these recordings.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-02-11, 11:42 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Well , i've definitely got the ears as I tune up by them and am normally quite accurate , but before I'd recompress a set of these .wavs' to .flac for archiving , I'll pitch them to my gtr. ,as I stated above, which I'll tune with a digitally accurate tuning source , however ,I foresaw the concern that you of the Den would feel about such altered sources entering 'the gene pool' , so to speak , and so I asked that question as well. The lineage alone disqualifies it for seeding on this tracker , but I had much confidence that somebody here would be able to field this question for me , so I asked you guys.
Thanks for the time and space , have a great day.

Quote:
Old 2005-02-11, 12:16 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

I guess really , to make a long story short I should have just asked if there was software that could achieve "true pitch" on a show for the user , rather than rely on the users flawed abilities , but I suppose even such a program would need an accurate source to work from and a studio source of the same song would really not be reliable enough unless one knows for a fact they don't change keys for ease of tuning in live performance etc. etc.

Quote:
Old 2005-02-11, 05:54 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I'm still in the theoretical since I haven't done pitch correction yet... that having been said, my concept is that if you can find several isolated notes, then you can match them to the studio version of those notes. If the guitar happens to be out of tune at the show from time to time, by finding a few places to check your pitch correction "magic number" you could find the setting that gets the highest number of these to correct pitch.

as for generating tones, I haven't used this but I believe mostly any wav editor can do it. dig around in the menus, etc... I'm going to take a look around when I get a chance and see what I can find. If you're really stuck I'm sure I can dig up a couple links and/or send you test tones from my end sometime next week. let me know how it's going.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-02-16, 09:52 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Hi Five ( no pun intended)
I had fixed the pitch and tempo in foobar2000 , which allows you to adjust both those and the rate AS you listen , which was a big plus , but then you have to burn it with foobar which uses your Nero as it's burner,in order to keep the effects in place , it wouldn't create a cue sheet that retained the values I had set.
I was using Aerial Boundaries as my tuning guide as there are four versions listed right on Stropes web page ( http://www.stropes.com/index.php?glbm=1&fa=7&bkid=1) that all incorporate the same tuning C2C3D3G3A3D4 , the numbers being the octave of each note , not the string, of course , and by tuning my own guitar accordingly , so I could let the low C note ring in open position as I adjusted tempo /pitch with my mouse, etc etc .
However ,Nero only recognizes my lite-on CD burner which has been junked , and not my DVD burner so the project got shelved until I could get CED , Goldwave or Sound Forge going on it. However I've been spending the last two days flat on my back in 28 degrees farenheit weather working on my car !
Some guy over on EZT tried a fix but I think he got it wrong....as indicated by the mods comments...
http://www.easytree.org/torrents-det...675#comm280675

Quote:
Old 2005-02-16, 11:52 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

My bad , he did in fact , actually use the correct function in Goldwave to
restore this particular show , but had failed to mention that part of his proccess until later.
I don't know how this may or may not help on the show you're working on ,
but others experiences and angles of approach are always a good thing when
theorizing on a fix , plus it opens up the question in more depth for the more experienced users to address ,right ?
I'll be checking back now and then to see how things go for you , Five.
Have a good one and thanks again

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble