The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-12, 08:12 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Seeding/Lineage Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboy
So, I have a Shannon Curfman show (probably from STG) that I wanted to put up. The info file has this:

SHN Lossless Format
Digital Recording on Sony D8 DAT
Digital Transfer to CD-DA Audio Only Discs
On A Pioneer PDR555-RW Stand Alone Burner

So, would that be:
Lineage: Sony D8 DAT > Pioneer PDR555-RW > CD > ? > SHN
yup...but maybe add CDR(0) instead of just CD, since it was a master transfer
Old 2006-02-12, 09:32 AM
228.01 GB/712.14 GB/3.12

Thanks Aaron!
Old 2006-02-13, 11:14 AM
Sonic Buccaneer
154.83 GB/149.30 GB/0.96

ok, this lineage stuff is very confusing to me. Are any of these legal?:

SDB > DENON DTR 100P > M. PEMBERTON DAT MASTER >
M. WINFREE DAT CLONE > M. WINFREE DAT CLONE >
HHB STAND ALONE BURNER > R. MCDANIEL CDR > EAC > MKW SHN

Source: Soundboard > Sony TCD-D3
Transfer: DAT (master) > Sony stand-alone burner > CD-R (master) > CD-R (1) > CD-R (2) > EAC v0.95b3 (secure) > FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 (level 8)

Sony ECM-DS70P > Sony WM-D6C > cassette (master) > Philips stand-alone audio burner > CD-R (master) > CD-R (1) > CD-R (2) > EAC v0.95b3 (secure) > FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 (level 8)

SONIC STUDIOS MICS > SONY TCD-D8 > J.W. DAT MASTER > M.W. DAT CLONE > HHB STAND ALONE BURNER > CDR > EAC WAV > MKW SHN

Source: Earthworks SR71's > Graham Patton DMIC20 > Sony M-1
Transfer: DAT > PC (via Sony Digital-Optical Cable) >
Soundforge > CD Architect > CDRs > EAC (copy and
test tracks) > shn

Source: Earthworks SR71's > DMic20 > Tascam DA-P1
Transfer: ??? > CD Trade (Nov 2005) > EAC > FlacFrontEnd (Level 8)

I'm sorry if this is really annoying. I suck at computers.

Watch my Phlog:camura.com

Way out dated: Trade List
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-13, 12:11 PM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarkane
ok, this lineage stuff is very confusing to me. Are any of these legal?:

SDB > DENON DTR 100P > M. PEMBERTON DAT MASTER >
M. WINFREE DAT CLONE > M. WINFREE DAT CLONE >
HHB STAND ALONE BURNER > R. MCDANIEL CDR > EAC > MKW SHN
This looks fine. In fact, it's kinda nice that they've included the names of everyone's DAT copies so that you know exactly where this source came from. I might lable the R. MCDANIEL CDR as a CDR(0) but that's just getting picky.

Quote:
Source: Soundboard > Sony TCD-D3
Transfer: DAT (master) > Sony stand-alone burner > CD-R (master) > CD-R (1) > CD-R (2) > EAC v0.95b3 (secure) > FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 (level 8)
This also looks fine as long as there are no copies of the show circulating that are closer to the original source such as from the DAT or CDR masters. Also, if you wanted to you could put ? between CD-R (1) > CD-R (2) just to indicate that you are not sure what was used to burn the discs.

Quote:
Sony ECM-DS70P > Sony WM-D6C > cassette (master) > Philips stand-alone audio burner > CD-R (master) > CD-R (1) > CD-R (2) > EAC v0.95b3 (secure) > FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 (level 8))
Same as number two.

Quote:
SONIC STUDIOS MICS > SONY TCD-D8 > J.W. DAT MASTER > M.W. DAT CLONE > HHB STAND ALONE BURNER > CDR > EAC WAV > MKW SHN)
Same as the first one.

Quote:
Source: Earthworks SR71's > Graham Patton DMIC20 > Sony M-1
Transfer: DAT > PC (via Sony Digital-Optical Cable) > Soundforge > CD Architect > CDRs > EAC (copy and test tracks) > shn
This looks fine but the I would do a bit of research. CD Architect > CDRs > EAC.....is that s after CDRs a typo? Does that mean that there are multiple CDR copies there? If so then it should read CD Architect > CDR(0) > ? > CDR(x) > EAC. If, not it should just read CD Architect > CDR (0) > EAC

Quote:
Source: Earthworks SR71's > DMic20 > Tascam DA-P1
Transfer: ??? > CD Trade (Nov 2005) > EAC > FlacFrontEnd (Level 8
This is also fine. I would chage CD Trade (Nov 2005) to CDR(x)

Quote:
I'm sorry if this is really annoying. I suck at computers.
The issue with TTD is not that you need a master source, just annotate as much info as you can so that we know whether it's the best source possible.
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2006-02-13, 12:21 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

the issue with TTD is that we're simply superior...nuff said
Old 2006-02-13, 06:28 PM
Sonic Buccaneer
154.83 GB/149.30 GB/0.96

i mean, I like the strictness cuz i can get quality stuff, i just don't know this type of stuff very well. My expertise is music, not technology. Now I'm gonna have to seed some shows.

Watch my Phlog:camura.com

Way out dated: Trade List
Old 2006-03-05, 04:17 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

I've got a question for the mods....

Whether you're familiar w/ this show doesn't matter I guess.....there is a famous CD called "Friday Night In San Francisco" by Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin & Paco De Lucia. I have the pro-shot video of this show which has never been released. The video is over 2 hours long, but 4 of the songs on the CD are from the same show. The audio CD that's officially available is slightly different (sound wise) to the video. I can definitely tell it was "doctored up." But they are essentially the same. So I'm pretty much 100% certain TTD wouldn't allow it (unless those songs were edited out, which I won't do).

So....if I hosted the DVD on a private tracker, could I post an external link to TTD? Thanks!
Old 2006-03-06, 06:47 PM
15.93 GB/10.67 GB/0.67

I have just started using BitTorrent and did not understand how it all works. I closed the torrents when they were complete and now every time I try to download a torrent I get this message

Quote:
Aborting the torrent as it was rejected by the tracker while not connected to any peers. Message from the tracker: share ratio violation; please raise your share ratio up to 0.25 first
So how do I get the Torrents I have already downloaded back on to the thing so I can seed them and subsequently get my share ratio back up to continue downloading and then seeding?
Old 2006-03-06, 07:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

boymacwerter, you are mistaken. That is not a message for our site since we don't enforce a share ratio here. But, if you want to reseed a show you already finished downloading, you would simply put the torrent file back into your bt client and point it to the folder that has all the files you downloaded. It should verify the files and then start seeding.

STLBBlues, if a show can't be listed on our tracker due to some posting rule that may be broken, then we can't allow external links to it either. That being said, I'm not so sure your DVD would not be allowed on this tracker (or as an external one). We have allowed other shows up where there is an official release available and then there is the one being torrented (where the torrented one is just slightly different - like the official release had part of the track cut out, that sort of thing). Five would remember what they are since they were bands he is more into that I. You might send him the info and see what he says about it being allowed. (Or you can send me a PM and I can ask Staff.)

Old 2006-03-10, 12:30 AM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.63 TB/7.83

Question: Are widely circulated trees considered "sources"?

I originally PM'd a mod on this question, but then I noticed this thread and thought It would be better to get a public response.

In listing lineages when seeding widely circulated trees (say, from Hempsall, Dylantree, the late milesdavis.org, etc) is it OK just to list the tree as the source?

For example, say I was considering seeding a Neil Young show from a Hempsall tree. Also assume I was on the shn branch of the tree. In listing the lineage can I just say something like:
ny1976-03-04 (Hempsall) >shn
(?)

In this case,the source is actually two different boots that were spliced and normalized, with some other changes made as well, to make a complete show. So it is not either boot, it is would seem to be a new "source" (in the loose sense). Details are included in the info file, and they included EAC logs (apparently just for final remastered CD, though, not for the original source boots).

So can I list the Hempsall tree source to be "The Source". (after all, if somebody lists a Silver Boot>EAC (Secure mode)>wav>flac or something, we still don't know the lineage back to the original taper source).

Or would seeding this show at all somehow break Rule 5 of the Audio BitTorrent Seeding Policy.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 2006-03-10, 10:08 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I would list where you got the show, but I would also list the other info you have about the show in the thread.

Source 1: aud > ?? > CDR(M?) > wav
Source 2: aud > ?? > CDR(M?) > wav

Source 1 and Source 2 'merged' (matrixed, whatever) together > normalizing and xxx changes made > shn > to me and now to you

Something like that. I would try to put any information you have about the source/lineage in the thread so people can see what they are getting. But, also feel free to list the tree name (sorry, I'm not familiar with these trees, but I'm sure the names will mean something to someone ).

Old 2006-03-10, 11:31 AM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.63 TB/7.83

Lynn - Following your template above, and using the ny1976-03-04 hempsall tree as an example, from their notes and my own listening I would get something like this for the lineage:

From hempsall 8/8/05 tree (shn branch)

Source 1:
aud>?>"Another Osaka"(bootleg)>?>(amplified, normalized)>?>hempsall CRr(M)>EAC>wav>shn

Source 2:
aud>?>"Dancing Across The Water"(bootleg)>?>(amplified, normalized, edited)>?>hempsall CDr(M)>EAC>wav>shn

Source 1 was the superior source, a very good aud, a bit bright but with good stereo seperation and less crowd noise distraction

Source 2 is more bass heavy and muffled, with more talking and other crowd noise, fair/good to my ears.

Source 1 used from 0:34 of track 3 to the end of track 9
Source 2 used for remainder.

Source transition in track 3 volume matched, but still rather abrubt due to differences in quality.

Lynne, so just to clarify, is the above lineage legal for The Trader's Den, or does this violate Rule 5?

(As an aside, in the Neil Young trading community, hempsall trees are well-known and get widely circulated. I would like to seed it here, since the st5s would be archived, and also as a "tribute" to the latest Neil Young seeder here).

Thanks!
-Guy
Old 2006-03-10, 12:18 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.63 TB/7.83

Sorry for the typos above, but I think you can gather the gist of my dilemma.
(any chance that 10-minute edit rule could be relaxed in 'non-controversial" forums?)
Old 2006-03-10, 12:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Your lineage sounds fine. It's basically a remaster (kinda) of the Silver CDs and then put together to provide a complete show.

Old 2006-03-16, 09:31 AM
trigonometric parallax
327.09 GB/412.11 GB/1.26

I just realized that this is the place to ask this question...

I'd like to seed the Genesis Hogweed remasters here. The Project details are here:
http://users.netcon.net.au/listen/Hogweed.html

The details for the first release are here:
http://users.netcon.net.au/listen/hogweed/HW01.html

I will clearly provide these links and the text in the thread but I am not sure how to detail the lineage. I think the lineage for HW01 would look someting like this (gleaned from the text):
Aud>?>2nd Gen Cassette Tape>Akai GXC 570>Audiomedia III on a Macintosh w/ProTools>SHN

is that aceptable? should I try to detail the noise reduction and filtering in this line or is the link to the restoration page enough? Thanks.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble