The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-19, 06:23 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

this thread was meant to be about technical information -- not personal bs...anything personal posted by others seems to be the bed sabkiss/Deuce made for himself over the years at various other sites...kinda like the bed you made for yerself here

i mean no disrespect, but all these "hundreds of masters" are hearsay at best...coming from someone who's uploaded 1 show in 2 yrs [and not even bothered to seed back what ya took, whether via torrent or offering B&Ps/vines/etc], and another who's u/led 6 shows in 4 yrs -- it comes off a bit like smoke n mirrors...not sayin it ain't true, just that it appears to the rest of us to be "bullshit posturing" as they say...

most tapers don't sit around posting about all the masters/upgrades we're sittin on...when i get around to it, i'll transfer and upload...simple as that

but i ain't gotta keep tellin everyone about em, like its some ransom...the balls in yer court -- share yer tapes or don't...doesn't really matter in the scope of life one way or the other...but posting up w/o showing up is a bit, well, sad & pathetic

again, no disrespect...just an observation
Old 2010-03-19, 06:50 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedart
there is more to it than just popping a dub of a dub into a camera or VTR, hitting play, and than hitting record on a stand alone DVD burner.
Correct.

Quote:
the person who does it is not a god.
Assertion.

Quote:
This thread arose because a person appears to take their hobby way to seriously
You should be so fortunate that guys like myself
take this hobby seriously and provide material so that you could make unfounded comments about.

Quote:
and feels their dubbing method is the best that ever will be, could be and ever was
Based on the results ive gotten, yes I would say emphatically
it is one of the best if not the best methods to transfer most vhs/svhs tapes.

Quote:
and not only are they happy with the results they feel everyone else should be as well.
They should be and very lucky to have gotten any results at all.

Quote:
As for your comment about someone being "the ONLY person able to provide something new to the community", that is highly doubtful. There is new material coming out all the time from all sorts of sources.
Its an absolute lie to say there are new sources coming out all the time. Where are they? Give me examples of "new material" video "sources" that pop up "all the time".

Quote:
nor is there just one person who's job it is to seek out everything.
And what have you seeked out with a great deal of hard work and uploaded here other than some Avril Lavigne capture that any handful of people who upload here could have done probably while sitting on the toilet?

Quote:
On the other hand if a person is living in their own space bubble
I think you'd have to be living in a space bubble to write the posts you've made.

Quote:
and what they do is "great"
There are different definitions of great that all apply to me and what I do:
1. My upgrades are of importance and significance in the trading community. People enjoy and love them because people like myself search out for this stuff.
2. I do a great job
3. Im someone who has achieved a lot by working hard and putting a lot of effort into
finding low gen upgrades and producing them, therefore I am one of the greats in the entire trading and collecting community.

Quote:
thusly they "deserve respect"
Correct

Quote:
because, in their minds, they are "the only members of this community" providing material.
Correct.

Quote:
But in reality, and mind you that I have been involved in the trading community for decades, that one person does not exist.
If you have been around for decades and all you have provided is some nonsense captures of stuff that any number of people can do, than you gotta be kidding me.
You also claim to work in the entertainment industry which I dont buy for a second and ill explain why. Results.
Again, I go by results and you have provided zero.
Twenty years in trading and you work in the entertainment industry and you have ZERO results to show for it. You should have some fantastic stuff that you have acquired from your sources within the entertainment industry, where are they? Until you provide that material, nothing you have to say is something id respect or take seriously and will be treated as me sweeping crumbs on the floor.
Old 2010-03-19, 07:03 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
this thread was meant to be about technical information -- not personal bs...anything personal posted by others seems to be the bed sabkiss/Deuce made for himself over the years at various other sites...
You have a right to your opinion but I didnt make a bed for myself. I didnt say anything that I regret or wasnt 100% correct and on point and factual.
If someone has a problem with anything ive said at any time, its their problem and I couldnt care less if they have a problem with it. But I agree with you they should keep their personal issues out of this thread. Or better yet just buy a punching bag.
Old 2010-03-19, 07:04 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

It's all about sharing.

Trouble starts when someone makes incessant demands

on the entire trading community, that everyone must go

out & find rare or uncirculated material, as if it were some

competition to prove you're worthy or something. Most people

have real lives & this is just a hobby. Some find rare shows,

some record shows, some download & never trade. Others

share via snail mail & never ask for anything in return.

By placing unrealistic demands on others, you end up

driving away people. Personally, if I'm going to send tapes

to someone to transfer, they sure as heck better be

someone who's likeable & not difficult to get along with,

regardless of how talented they are (or think they are).

I think the post by boxedart sums it up nicely.
Old 2010-03-19, 07:09 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

You just read someone who is a friend of mine and who I deal with regularly who says im easy to get along with, you've never dealt with me so you dont know what you are talking about and you certainly cant suggest that im difficult to deal with until you have dealt with me personally. Its not an incessant or unrealistic demand against the entire community, it was directed at lazy and brainless leechers (like your pals) who provide nothing and demand, demand, demand with the gimme, gimme, gimme attitude that they want something rare or uncirculated but arent willing to put in the hard work for it. Sorry, but real life is no excuse, anybody could have a real life and still seek this stuff out. The idea or notion that you have to devout your entire day and life to produce results is absurd and not true at all.

Last edited by sabkisscrue; 2010-03-19 at 07:15 PM.
Old 2010-03-19, 09:39 PM
130.02 GB/1.99 TB/15.69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
most tapers don't sit around posting about all the masters/upgrades we're sittin on...when i get around to it, i'll transfer and upload...simple as that

Exactly! I don't have a need to brag about what I have because, frankly, I have paid work I do that comes before my hobby. The other issue is much of the material I have I have not released for a reason, it's called my job and I like what I do so I tend to not want to jepordize it.

The Avril DVD that I authored at least one person feels anyone could have done "while sitting on the toilet", and that is a pretty wild comment coming from someone who has argued they don't do anything but make a new dub from an old source to a stand alone DVD recorder and send that DVD out to be "authored".

And I will take a moment to comment on one other comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue
Twenty years in trading and you work in the entertainment industry and you have ZERO results to show for it.
I have more than 20 years on the industry and have a lot to show for it. But for you, someone who seems to have nothing much going on in their life other than a hobby, I guess it must be very hard to comprehend how you could walk into into a store, turn on the TV or sit in a darkened theatre and see my work, and not yours.
Old 2010-03-19, 09:55 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Quote:
The Avril DVD that I authored at least one person feels anyone could have done "while sitting on the toilet", and that is a pretty wild comment coming from someone who has argued they don't do anything but make a new dub from an old source to a stand alone DVD recorder and send that DVD out to be "authored".
If thats what you wanna ignorantly believe than thats fine but it really doesnt matter to me what you think. I produce results when all you do is make unwarranted and unfounded accusations.

Quote:
But for you, someone who seems to have nothing much going on in their life other than a hobby
Another unfounded assertion.

Quote:
I guess it must be very hard to comprehend how you could walk into into a store, turn on the TV or sit in a darkened theatre and see my work, and not yours.
Many people see my work, but only some people here have seen your captures, captures that most anybody could do. After all they were tv broadcasts. A monkey could capture a tv show. As far as your years that you claim to be in the entertainment industry, surely you have made some contacts by now and you can release some stuff here. Dont give me that your job will be in jeopardy garbage. Theres a saying, put up or shut up!
Old 2010-03-19, 11:29 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue View Post
There are different definitions of great that all apply to me and what I do:

1. My upgrades are of importance and significance in the trading community. People enjoy and love them because people like myself search out for this stuff.

2. I do a great job.

3. Im someone who has achieved a lot by working hard and putting a lot of effort into finding low gen upgrades and producing them, therefore I am one of the greats in the entire trading and collecting community.
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx36.htm

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

SYMPTOMS: the essential feature of Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy that begins by early adulthood and is present in a variety of situations and environments.

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:

* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

* Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

* Requires excessive admiration

* Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

* Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

* Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

* Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

* Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
Old 2010-03-20, 11:53 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

appears to be an accurate diagnosis Dr Stallion
Old 2010-03-20, 11:59 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Old 2010-03-20, 01:06 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue View Post

Many people see my work, but only some people here have seen your captures, captures that most anybody could do. After all they were tv broadcasts. A monkey could capture a tv show. As far as your years that you claim to be in the entertainment industry, surely you have made some contacts by now and you can release some stuff here. Dont give me that your job will be in jeopardy garbage. Theres a saying, put up or shut up!
1. you've uploaded 6 shows here in 4 years, i wouldn't call that "Many people seeing my work"...yer by no means a major contributor, hell thats not even a minor contributor, despite what you'd like to think

2. a monkey could transfer a VHS tape...yer pressing play on a deck and record on a standalone DVD recorder fer fucks sake! as you've admitted before, you know or do nothing in regards to color balance & correction, cleaning up the picture or audio, or any sort of post-production whatsoever -- so i wouldn't be callin anyone else a monkey

3. only someone who doesn't work in the industry would say "Don't give me that your job will be in jeopardy garbage." if its something thats work related, yes it would...i've got some amazing footage that a lot of folks would love, that if it got leaked it'd come strainght back to me and aside from losing any possible future business, would most likely face a lawsuit...would you risk your livelihood, your house, your family and kids, your business just so a handful of people could watch some live concert recording?

4. like you said, put up or shut up...all this talk of how great yer work is and the hundreds of masters and upgrades you have and all the bullshit posturing -- 6 shows u/led in 4 yrs go fuckin tape a show, u/l 1 VHS transfer a week, whatever but heed yer own advice...PUT UP OR SHUT UP! otherwise go to some other site where people are stupid enough to buy into yer deluded, nonsensical drivel
Old 2010-03-20, 02:12 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

Quote:
1. you've uploaded 6 shows here in 4 years, i wouldn't call that "Many people seeing my work"...yer by no means a major contributor, hell thats not even a minor contributor, despite what you'd like to think
Thats laughable because:

1. Ive uploaded over multiple sites and id say around 30 or more things ive transferred.

2. Because all you have uploaded from vhs tapes is a couple of what appears to be multi-generated Blind Melon. Ugh.

Quote:
2. a monkey could transfer a VHS tape...
Well than why have you only uploaded two multi-generated Blind Melon? Ugh.

Quote:
as you've admitted before, you know or do nothing in regards to color balance & correction, cleaning up the picture or audio, or any sort of post-production whatsoever
Admitted? Are you serious? I do all that actually. But you dont wanna believe that.

[quote=AAR.oner]3. only someone who doesn't work in the industry would say "Don't give me that your job will be in jeopardy garbage." if its something thats work related, yes it would...i've got some amazing footage that a lot of folks would love, that if it got leaked it'd come strainght back to me and aside from losing any possible future business, would most likely face a lawsuit...would you risk your livelihood, your house, your family and kids, your business just so a handful of people could watch some live concert recording?

Total bullshit. Dont come on to a trading forum/torrent site and announce you have years in the entertainment industry then if you have nothing to show for it. Excuses excuses excuses.

Quote:
4. like you said, put up or shut up...all this talk of how great yer work is and the hundreds of masters and upgrades you have and all the bullshit posturing -- 6 shows u/led in 4 yrs go fuckin tape a show, u/l 1 VHS transfer a week, whatever but heed yer own advice...PUT UP OR SHUT UP! otherwise go to some other site where people are stupid enough to buy into yer deluded, nonsensical drivel
Theres only talk about how great it is, because you keep questioning it and denying it. You refuse to accept it.
You also refuse to accept that my friend or myself has access to hundreds of masters. Bottom line, if there wasnt a discussion about this, id have more time to upload stuff if I didnt have to respond to garbage like this. You can believe what you want, but all that matters is results and I provide them and will continue to regardless of anybodys opinion.
Old 2010-03-20, 02:31 PM
146.32 GB/192.48 GB/1.32

A list of Metallica shows ive transferred and torrented or had torrented will be posted soon.
Old 2010-03-20, 02:45 PM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

This thread is fucked up.
Old 2010-03-20, 02:56 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDVidGuy View Post
a 3 cam Ozzy from 96
Freaker's Ball, maybe?

Quote:
As for your comment about someone being "the ONLY person able to provide something new to the community", that is highly doubtful. There is new material coming out all the time from all sorts of sources.
Yes, but it has to start somewhere. Somebody -- one person -- takes initiative to make and share the videos with fellow fans. Some things are extremely rare, and the odds of multiple people taking that initiative is also (sadly) quite rare.

I would also dispute the "all the time" part -- I wish it did happen that way!

And I also think "just a hobby" is often used as a cop-out, an excuse for bad work. If this is a hobby, spend a few bucks on it. A couple hundred bucks on a hobby is very typical. If you're too cheap or too lazy, then you get the flack you deserve. It's really that easy.

In the end, the arguments are always between two type of fans:
  • The ones that really want the best material and will put forth effort to make that happen...
  • ... and the ones that simply don't care to put forth any effort. (By no coincidence, it's this group that generally does it only to sell copies, to amass a bragging-rights "large collection" that he/she never watches, and tends to over-describe his/her crap as being much better quality than it really is. Sometimes even calling these folks "fans" is a bit of a stretch.)
The disagreement happens when the two interact, with the "yes effort" fan giving away some nice (either in trade or as $$) to the "no effort" fan, and feeling screwed with the garbage they get in return. It's even more aggravating when the "yes effort" fan knows the "no effort" crap could have looked/sounded much better. The only way to fight this is through education. And yes, as arguing, as needed, to bring the issue to light in the community.

I've seen this for 15+ years now. It's nothing new.

Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble