The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-10, 10:54 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Unhappy Slow Downloads....

Alright, I am a new member of this torrent trading thing and from what i see its looks quite exciting. So when i go to download a torrent file, the download speed starts out pretty good, but then drops down to like "5kbps" and sometimes all the way to "0kbps". I look at all the FAQ's dealing with this issue and did what it said by downloading a new client, and did my very best to open the port in my firewall (6881) like it said, but still I get crapy download rates. My status is always yellow. I need someone to take me step by step on what to do to get these torrent files downloaded!......please

Last edited by DextrousJ; 2005-06-10 at 11:19 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-10, 11:38 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: Slow Downloads....

What torrent client are you using?
What firewall (if any) are you using?
Are you using a router? If so, which one?

After answering these questions, we'll be better able to help you.
Oh, and welcome
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-11, 12:22 AM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Torrent Client: Azureus
FireWall: I guess just the Windows XP Firewall
Router: if thats like a modem or something I have cable and its a D-Link

are these detailed enough?? sry if its not, I dont know too much about all this yet.....

and thnx for that welcome, Ted
Old 2005-06-11, 12:39 AM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I did find out one thing just a secon ago.... my system is able to initiate connections with other peers (known as local connections, or L), but I am not able to receive connections initiated from other peers (known as remote connections, or R). When I am not able to receive remote connections, this is nearly always to do with incorrectly forwarded ports, from my router or firewall. <<<< I quoted that from a guide....

I looked at all the connections I had on Azureus and all of them are L (local)... so I guess its a router problem.... I still need help with that!
Old 2005-06-11, 12:43 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

That's detailed enough, thanks. I'm sorry, but I can't be of much help since I'm not familiar with Azureus. Since you stated that you opened the ports in your firewall, I assume that's not the problem. The other thing I was thinking that could be giving you trouble is that the ports also need to be forwarded in your router (if you had one), but seeing as you're not sure what a router is, I think it's safe to assume you don't have one, so no settings there to worry about.

The only thing I can think of, barring any settings that need to be checked in Azureus, is to make absolutely sure you've opened the correct ports in your firewall for TCP traffic. I'm not familiar with Windows' firewall, so maybe someone else can help out with that too.

EDIT: After reading your next post, it does indeed sound like a port forwarding problem. To be sure whether you have a router or not, just follow the cable from where it comes into your house or apt. and see where it goes. If it goes into anything but a splitter/your television(s)/or the cable modem, you probably do have a router. I can't imagine you having one and not knowing it though. It's something you have to purchase and install yourself. It's not something the cable company installs (at least without your knowledge). Do you have more than one computer that accesses the internet? If so, you may have a router.

I'm going to assume again, that you don't (by your previous response) and have you double check the Windows firewall to see that you opened or forwarded the correct ports. Also, check Azureus' settings to make sure the port is set to 6881, same as the one you opened in your first post.

I'll see if I can Google a tutorial for the Windows firewall in relation to opening ports unless someone else beats me to it.

Last edited by Ted; 2005-06-11 at 12:50 AM.
Old 2005-06-11, 12:59 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Ok, I found this for you. It'll tell you how to open ports in the Windows firewall. Something to consider also is that if you plan on opening more than one bitorrent client at a time, you'll need a seperate port for each client. So I suggest opening a few ports to save you the possible hassles of trying to figure out what's wrong later. Use ports 6881~6885 and you'll be able to open five clients simultaneously. I doubt you'll need to since I think Aureous allows mutliple torrents to be downloading at the same time. If it does, the only port you'll need is 6881.

Quote:
Here are the directions for opening ports in the Windows XP firewall:

Open the 'Network Connections' folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connections.)
Click the shared connection or the Internet connection that is protected by Internet Connection Firewall, and then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings.
For each port you wish to forward, (i.e. 6881, 6882, ... 6889) do the following:

On the Services tab, click Add and enter all of the following information:
In Description of service, type an easily recognized name for the service, such as "BitTorrent".
In Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network, enter 127.0.0.1 (this means "the local machine.")
In both External and Internal port number for this service, enter the port number, e.g. 6881.
Select TCP, then OK.
Old 2005-06-11, 07:36 AM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Wow Ted, I really appreciate all the effort u have put in to help me.....

Well, after looking at what you described as a router, I definetly know that I do have one. I have Comcast Highspeed Cabel service with a D-Link System Modem for a wireless connection throughout my house. I am using a laptop computer with a wireless internet card to comunicate to the modem, and I DO have one other computer one the network. (I just didn't know that it ws called a "router"....lol...sry).

I have already done those instructions u gave me in the last post, but I still get yellow as my download status. Do I have to do anything with the router itself?.....
Old 2005-06-11, 08:13 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Ok, since you've determined you have a router, you also must forward the same port(s) that you opened in the firewall, ie. 6881~6885. I'll need the name/model number of the router so I can try and find out how to get to the settings although, you "should" know. You should have a name/password for the router's settings and a url to get to the settings - such as http://192.168.1.1 (it may be different for your model).

If you already know how to get to the settings, all you have to do is look for the "Port Forwarding" or "forwarding" section and enter the LAN IP address (see below) of the computer that you will use to run the bitorrent client. You'll also have to enter the port(s) mentioned above and make sure you forward the ports for TCP only (UDP is not necessarly for bitorrent).

There are two IPs you have, since you're on a network - your WAN IP and your LAN IP. The LAN IP is the one you're concerned with here. Enter that one in the router's port forwarding settings. You can find your LAN IP somewhere in the router's settings. I'm not sure what section it would be in because I don't know the make/model of your router. Look for something similar to "DHCP Clients Table" and then look for the name of the computer you're running the client on. THAT IP is the LAN IP for that particular computer. If you can't find it, go to the Start Button and look for the shortcut named "Command Prompt". Click it and enter (without quotes), "systeminfo" and hit Enter. After a few seconds, you'll get some info about your system (surprise ). At the bottom of that info, you'll see "IP address(es)" - that is your LAN IP - DO NOT use the DHCP Server address.

I thik I covered it all. Try finding your router's settings and entering the info above. If you have problems, post back with make/model of router.

Note that your LAN IP may change. If you ever have problems with your client after it has been working and you haven't made any changes, check your LAN IP again.
Old 2005-06-11, 09:14 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Go HERE and find your model number than follow the instructions and you should be ok....
Old 2005-06-11, 10:34 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I have recently discovered that if your router has UPnP capability, it is much better to turn that on and turn on Azureus' UPnP function, and don't bother forwarding any ports in your router. (You will still have to make sure that your WinXP firewall has an open port, however).

The reason UPnP is superior is that you don't have to mess around with port forwarding, and it's more secure than port forwarding because the ports are opened only by the application you want, and only when the application is running. Otherwise the port is closed.

I have the UPnP feature running on my router with both Azureus and BitTornado and it works great. Azureus was the easiest to deal with as it didn't require me to make any adjustments to my router (BitTornado did). You can see in the UPnP log that Azureus is using UPnP, and you can use the test feature to make sure that the port is open for Azureus. I got it working with BitTornado too, but it was a bit more tricky. But it was less work than port forwarding.
Old 2005-06-11, 05:50 PM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

DextrousJ
You are deffinatly firewalled. the link to portforward.com has the answers. You need to port forward a port in your Router.

uhclem
do you have a guide, link, or some info on your way. I use Azureus but have no idea what you are talking about, and a Belkin router.
Thanks Mike
Old 2005-06-11, 08:27 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
I have recently discovered that if your router has UPnP capability, it is much better to turn that on and turn on Azureus' UPnP function, and don't bother forwarding any ports in your router. (You will still have to make sure that your WinXP firewall has an open port, however).

The reason UPnP is superior is that you don't have to mess around with port forwarding, and it's more secure than port forwarding because the ports are opened only by the application you want, and only when the application is running. Otherwise the port is closed.

I have the UPnP feature running on my router with both Azureus and BitTornado and it works great. Azureus was the easiest to deal with as it didn't require me to make any adjustments to my router (BitTornado did). You can see in the UPnP log that Azureus is using UPnP, and you can use the test feature to make sure that the port is open for Azureus. I got it working with BitTornado too, but it was a bit more tricky. But it was less work than port forwarding.
Sounds like a good recommendation. I'm still learning about the ins/outs of the security of UPnP, so I was hesitant to suggest it. I just gave the "tried and true" method I've used for so long.

@mike1061 - UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) basically opens/closes ports dynamically for you instead of having to manually forward them in a router, for example. It is said that it is more secure, but I don't know enough about it yet to confidently advise it, though MANY knowledgable people however, do. You need to have UPnP aware hardware (router) and also the software (Windows ME/XP). Despite what Steve Gibson (a moron) says, it is NOT a bad thing. If you've heard of him, he was saying (when XP was released) that it was a bad security risk without really understanding what it actually was and how it worked. The quick and dirty of how it works is that when a program (your bitorrent client for example) needs to access the internet, UPnP "senses" what port it needs and opens that port only for the amount of time necessary, then closes it again. Two services in XP are needed for it to operate. Steve Gibson was telling people to shut down those services and even wrote a little program to do it, but without those serives running, MSN Messanger wouldn't work under some circumstances and those people who stopped the services had no clue as to why, as did a lot of people trying to help them get MSN Messanger working again.

In the near future, I plan on playing around with it and learning more, but for now, I feel more comfortable in suggesting the alternative method of manually forwarding ports because I can help diagnose problems easier.
Old 2005-06-11, 09:28 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I think you are confusing UPnP operating at the hardware level versus UPnP operating at the OS level. Gibson believes that leaving it running at the OS level, i.e. as a WinXP service, as a default is a security risk. He's not the only one who thinks that. If you check his website you will see that he is not opposed to UPnP, just to having it turned on as a default at the OS level. He clearly states that people will want to turn UPnP on if they have a need for it. The view seems to be that the OS has no need to handle UPnP issues, which should be left up to the hardware that is using it, i.e. your router. Leave it to M$, of course, to write a program that requires UPnP at the OS level.

But I am talking about using it at the hardware level. In order to run UPnP via Azureus you just need a UPnP compliant router. You then turn on the Azureus UPnP feature and it will make use of your router's UPnP feature to dynamically open a port. This is more secure because the port is only open when Azureus is running, and only for Azureus. I use Azureus this way and I have the UPnP WinXP service turned off.

mike: You need to determine whether your belkin router has UPnP capability. Check the manual, the belkin website or your router's setup and see if UPnP capability exists. If it does, I might be able to help you set it up for Azureus.

Last edited by uhclem; 2005-06-11 at 09:34 PM.
Old 2005-06-11, 10:16 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I was under the impression that the UPnP services had to be running in addition to the hardware being UPnP capable AND enabled for the whole thing to work. In other words (for example) if I was using Azureus (with UPnP enabled) and was hooked up to a router (also, with UPnP enabled), and running Win 98, it (the UPnP method) would not work - I would have to use the port forwarding method. So what you're saying is the UPnP method for the situation we have in this thread (Azureus and a router) would work on a Win98 computer (for example)?

EDIT: "Leave it to M$, of course, to write a program that requires UPnP at the OS level." <-- Is MSN Messenger the program to which you refer?
Old 2005-06-11, 11:33 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Dang, all yall really know about computers..... its all Greek to me.... as long as I can use a computer, recieve the benefits of using it, and be able to avoid problems, I am just fine..... lol.... but I guess to do that I have to learn Greek, right!... well here we go

Ted- again, thanks for using your knowledge of computers to help me with my problem here.... well, first off I need to say that I am only 16 and all the network hardware was bought and set up by my dad, so I don't know alot about how the system works or even what the model is. I just wanted to make that known so you could understand my position a little more.

I will look at the modem in the morning and tell you the name/model, because at this time it is pretty late at night here and the router (or modem, are they the same thing?) is in my parents room. (I definitely don't wanna go in there, cause God knows what could be goin on right now.... scary thoughts..... )

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble