The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-07-25, 01:41 PM
78.90 GB/77.58 GB/0.98

Re: BURNing DVD9's....HELP!!

Will they not play in the PC or a standalone DVD player? Some standalones won't play burned DL. As far as Nero goes it should have worked just fine if it completed the burn with no errors depending on how you burned it (for example dont burn VOBs as data it needs to be burned as DVD Video).
Old 2006-07-26, 03:07 AM
58.56 GB/59.33 GB/1.01

Re: Burning a DVD - Region Settings

You said the show was in London, so am I correct in assuming its PAL? Regardless of the region settings, if you have a US Sony DVD player that will be the message you receive with a pal disc. There is a header trick you can use, where you change the ifo files to say NTSC and that should make the disc playable (Sony's can convert PAL -> NTSC on the fly but this ability is turned off). I dont remeber the details of it, but its not very difficult. Do a search for ifo edit header trick and you should find directions.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-07-26, 06:26 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

here's the trick for PAL > NTSC, or vice versa

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...20&postcount=5
Old 2006-07-26, 10:11 AM
533.41 GB/214.88 GB/0.40

Angry gettin' fed up with dvd burnin!!!

Gotta VENT: I've been burning DL-ed audio shows for years now and have ventured into video just recently, but I gotta tell ya I haven't had much success at all. Of the twenty or so shows I've downloaded (days on end, as you all know), only a handful have actually burned correctly. I use Nero (DVD vid , not data) have Windows XP, and have read all the forums for directions and help, but still get the following:
reallocation error when attempting to burn or it burns without error, but when playing in my standalone (which accepts dl-ed shows cuz I've played others), it either skips, pauses and freezes, or it says this is an "incorrect disc." The latter seems to be the problem currently (the Miles Davis part one, the John Butler Trio from Woodford for example)

What the heck??
"George is gettin' angry"
Old 2006-07-26, 12:19 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Re: gettin' fed up with dvd burnin!!!

Check a bad disc quality with http://www.cdspeed2000.com and post here a screenshot. Test speed should be set to 8x, regardless what you use for burning.
Old 2006-07-26, 12:24 PM
68.76 GB/71.77 GB/1.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoseph
Gotta VENT: I've been burning DL-ed audio shows for years now and have ventured into video just recently, but I gotta tell ya I haven't had much success at all. Of the twenty or so shows I've downloaded (days on end, as you all know), only a handful have actually burned correctly. I use Nero (DVD vid , not data) have Windows XP, and have read all the forums for directions and help, but still get the following:
reallocation error when attempting to burn or it burns without error, but when playing in my standalone (which accepts dl-ed shows cuz I've played others), it either skips, pauses and freezes, or it says this is an "incorrect disc." The latter seems to be the problem currently (the Miles Davis part one, the John Butler Trio from Woodford for example)

What the heck??
"George is gettin' angry"
Is your stand alone player older than 3 years? That's most likely your problem.
Older players freeze on the switch from layer 1 to layer 2.
The more data you have, the more likely you are going to have problems, its just the nature of DL.
Old 2006-07-26, 01:45 PM
533.41 GB/214.88 GB/0.40

thanx for the help so far...why the "incorrect disc" error on my standalone? I get it for both single and dual layer...
Old 2006-07-26, 03:02 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Are you using good quality DVD blanks or the cheap store brand types? Check out www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm for recommendations on choosing your dvd blanks.

I also recently started downloading dvd's and also use Nero for burning and I haven't had a coaster yet using Maxell and Sony dvd+r media.
This week, Office Depot's here have Sony 50 packs for $15. Watch for sales and the good shit is about the same price as the crappy dvd's. Less than a month ago Office Depot had the Maxell 100 packs for $28.
Old 2006-07-26, 03:08 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explosivo
You said the show was in London, so am I correct in assuming its PAL? Regardless of the region settings, if you have a US Sony DVD player that will be the message you receive with a pal disc. There is a header trick you can use, where you change the ifo files to say NTSC and that should make the disc playable (Sony's can convert PAL -> NTSC on the fly but this ability is turned off). I dont remeber the details of it, but its not very difficult. Do a search for ifo edit header trick and you should find directions.
The latest version of IFOEdit states that it doesn't work well with WinXP. Are there any other programs to edit the IFO files that might work with XP?

The uploader at Zomb said it was NTSC with a frame rate of 29.970 but some one else has confirmed that it was PAL.
Thanks.

Last edited by Homebrew101; 2006-07-26 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2006-07-26, 05:39 PM
69.35 GB/80.38 GB/1.16

dvd skipping

ive been burning all kinds of video dvds for yrs now and jus recently ive had problems with skipping. im using what is said to be high quality discs
TDK003
yet its still skipping. it isnt just concert video that skips lots of things do.
i use dvd shrink or dvd decrypter to burn video.

anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 2006-07-26, 05:55 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

You can also buy an Apex DVD player for 30 bucks that will play everything (NTSC and PAL, etc). That wat you'll never have to worry about doing the IFOedit thing.
Old 2006-07-26, 10:51 PM
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08

There are menu hacks for most dvd players, try googling it.
Also, you asked about how to see if a dvd is Pal or NTSC, if you have nero, use the disc info tool, it'll tell you everything
You must be one of those conniving jews, or an ebonics talking black. Or, worse yet, a black jew. Only sellin' your crack to other jews. And when you do sell to others, you give a 10 dollar piece for 20 dollars.
The NEW list.... Festafarian.com

I do B&Ps

myspace.com/festafarian

Ziggy's
Old 2006-07-27, 07:27 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Thanks to everyone, InfoEdit worked like a charm. I don't know if it affected the playback quality or not but it plays and was certainly a simple fix.

My entertainment center is too full to add a $30 Apex what with 2 amps, pre-amp, vcr, dvd surround sound processor, tuner, cd player, tv, center channel speaker and an audio switching box (lack of inputs on tube pre-amp).
Old 2006-07-27, 05:59 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101
Thanks to everyone, InfoEdit worked like a charm. I don't know if it affected the playback quality or not but it plays and was certainly a simple fix.

My entertainment center is too full to add a $30 Apex what with 2 amps, pre-amp, vcr, dvd surround sound processor, tuner, cd player, tv, center channel speaker and an audio switching box (lack of inputs on tube pre-amp).
glad that worked...the quality shouldn't have changed, as nothing was actually converted...i would still archive the orig files for trading, and use the IFOEdit-copy as yer "watchable copy"
Old 2006-07-27, 07:04 PM
jnevi9nr
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Download DVDs via Bit Torrent

I downloaded the show via Bit Torrent, now what do I do with the files to be able to watch them? First time DVD downloaded. Usually, with audio, I would go to xACT and convert to a wav and then play them in iTunes. I have an iBook. Any guidance would be great! Thanks.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble