The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-01-06, 10:43 AM
The Fisherman
195.99 GB/512.79 GB/2.62

Question about EAC rips.

I've stopped doing CDR rips ever since it became pretty much mandatory at most torrent sites to use EAC or something similar. and, here's why. every time i've used EAC to rip a CDR i never get 100% on all tracks. all the tracks come out OK and are always 99.something%. but, i never get 100% on everything.

is this normal with EAC rips & is it still okay to post a show here if all the tracks are not 100%?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-01-06, 11:06 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Question about EAC rips.

yeah, thats fairly normal -- just means it had to re-read a few sectors [dirt, fingerprint, etc]...can't remember exactly, but i think anything that comes out 99.7% or above is completely fine
Old 2010-01-06, 11:31 AM
The Fisherman
195.99 GB/512.79 GB/2.62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
yeah, thats fairly normal -- just means it had to re-read a few sectors [dirt, fingerprint, etc]...can't remember exactly, but i think anything that comes out 99.7% or above is completely fine
okay. i think one or two are like 99.5%. i'm not home right now & can't check. but, i'll post the show late tonight & if it needs to be pulled, then whatever. no big deal.
Old 2010-01-06, 11:43 AM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

I don't think it matters what the track quality is as long as there are no read errors. When EAC gives up and stops re-reading because it's not able to get a clean rip is when there is a problem (read error).
Old 2010-01-06, 12:22 PM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

While we are on this subject, what are the collective thoughts about sharing an EAC rip where there are "suspicious positions", even though I cannot hear, or see in Audition, any problems with the sound at these "positions"? The cd was sent to me and the sender sent me his only copy.
Old 2010-01-06, 10:58 PM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamroom View Post
While we are on this subject, what are the collective thoughts about sharing an EAC rip where there are "suspicious positions", even though I cannot hear, or see in Audition, any problems with the sound at these "positions"? The cd was sent to me and the sender sent me his only copy.
What do you mean by "suspicious positions" ?
Old 2010-01-07, 11:59 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

That's what was stated in the EAC log after the rip. I don't need to say that I cleaned the disc (not that it needed it), tried a rip with EAC on my laptop with the same results, so have ruled out operator / equipment error.

I had posted a query to the EAC yahoo group, but despite was I was told, it doesn't seem very active.
Old 2010-01-07, 12:18 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

If an EAC-rip is clean, you should read something like "no errors occured". Otherwise, there may be pointed out that there went something wrong and on which positions it happened. It ainīt enough to rip the CD via EAC, there must be no errors in the rip. If there is a track only at 99,8 or 99.9%, it still is clean. I guess anything under 99,7% has an error.

In case one track doesnīt read out properly, you may try another drive. Iīve had rips being clean on the 3rd or computer I tried.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2010-01-07, 01:18 PM
The Fisherman
195.99 GB/512.79 GB/2.62

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvited94 View Post
If an EAC-rip is clean, you should read something like "no errors occured". Otherwise, there may be pointed out that there went something wrong and on which positions it happened. It ainīt enough to rip the CD via EAC, there must be no errors in the rip. If there is a track only at 99,8 or 99.9%, it still is clean. I guess anything under 99,7% has an error.

In case one track doesnīt read out properly, you may try another drive. Iīve had rips being clean on the 3rd or computer I tried.
okay. the few that weren't 100% on the rip i just did came out at 99.7% or above with no errors. so, i posted it already.
Old 2010-01-07, 01:28 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

alot of the errors are caused by jitter in diffrent drives unlessit sails failed dont sweat it in most cases..

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble